Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:10:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New user: How to send Bitcoins to a wallet with anonymous addresses  (Read 1409 times)
kevinp (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:53:01 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2013, 11:23:33 PM by kevinp

Hi all,

I am a newbie and have some basic Bitcoin questions.

I have purchased Bitcoins using Coinbase (ACH transfer from my bank account) and the bitcoins are now sitting in my Coinbase account.  As I understand Coinbase, the bitcoins don't really belong to me at this point.  They are kept in trust for me by Coinbase, much like cash in a bank.

I want to have both of the following:
  • A personal wallet under my control which I don't care if it can be publicly traced to me.
  • A personal wallet under my control which I want to remain anonymous for any number of perfectly good reasons.  I don't engage in illegal conduct and don't have any fear of the police coming for me, but want this wallet to not be traceable to me for any reason.

I appreciate your feedback on how to get there from where I am right now with Coinbase.  These are my preliminary thoughts for the anonymous wallet:

• Get the coins out of Coinbase by sending them to an online wallet with blockchain.info or another web based wallet.  The coins are now under my control but still potentially traceable to me at this point since they came from Coinbase who knows my real identity.
  • Download Armory and set up an offline wallet.  The addresses in this wallet will be anonymous so far.
  • Use blockchain.info's Send Anonymously feature to send the coins to my Armory offline wallet.  The coins should now be under my anonymous control but not traceable to me any more.
  • If I want to spend the coins from the Anonymous wallet, I need to cloak my IP address by using Tor or an anonymous VPN at the moment of sending the coins to another address.

I appreciate your constructive critique of the above, or suggestions for alternatives.  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kevinp (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:23:59 PM

Anyone?
nishantman

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:29:35 PM

I think you have the right idea, but you might be over-thinking things for now. You can send coins to a never-used address (that you have the private key to), and hide the printed key under your mattress. The "balance" of that address is not provably yours (until maybe you spend it in a way traceable to you)
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:03:27 AM

depends who looks into the coinbase records.  coinbase will know who's account and what block the withdrawal address is in.  When you spend your money from that address it will be inferred as you.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
kevinp (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:19:55 AM

depends who looks into the coinbase records.  coinbase will know who's account and what block the withdrawal address is in.  When you spend your money from that address it will be inferred as you.

That's what I thought.  Hence, I likely to use a mixer service as a further step, right?

Coinbase -> blockchain.info wallet -> blockchain mixer service -> anonymous wallet

Then to spend the coins in the anonymous wallet, I need to use Tor or some kind of anonymous VPN service so that the IP address of the spending transaction is not traceable to me, right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: