Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:12:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Kerry Hints Bitcoin Training is Underway at US Embassies  (Read 351 times)
Chronobank (OP)

Activity: 1081
Merit: 251

Formerly known as Chronobank, now Chrono.tech

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2016, 07:47:11 PM

Bitcoin may soon be required learning at US embassies.

The topic of how the nation's diplomatic institutions are preparing for digital changes came up during a recent appearance in Silicon Valley by US Secretary of State John Kerry, a former senator and US presidential candidate.

Speaking at the Virtuous Circle Conference on 10th October, Kerry was asked about the presence of a "digital officer" at embassy sites in foreign nations. Specifically, the moderator inquired whether an embassy officer "needs to be able to speak with fluency about bitcoin and dark web".

Kerry replied positively, prompting the moderator to ask if the State Department was moving to update its training regime with those technologies in mind.

According to an official transcript, Kerry responded:

"Yes. That's the curriculum we've put together. I mean, I haven't asked – there's a lot of uncertainty with bitcoin or whatever."

http://www.coindesk.com/john-kerry-embassy-bitcoin-trainings/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 05:50:56 PM

The topic of how the nation's diplomatic institutions are preparing for digital changes came up during a recent appearance in Silicon Valley by US Secretary of State John Kerry, a former senator and US presidential candidate.

Speaking at the Virtuous Circle Conference on 10th October, Kerry was asked about the presence of a "digital officer" at embassy sites in foreign nations. Specifically, the moderator inquired whether an embassy officer "needs to be able to speak with fluency about bitcoin and dark web".

Kerry replied positively, prompting the moderator to ask if the State Department was moving to update its training regime with those technologies in mind.

"Yes. That's the curriculum we've put together. I mean, I haven't asked – there's a lot of uncertainty with bitcoin or whatever."

When I saw the headline on twitter, I actually have a mixed feelings in the sense that on one side its a good development because its going to give Bitcoin more popularity and more influence for the fact that its coming from the Secretary of State but looking at it from another angle, means its could erode the fundamental thing Bitcoin professes which is the anonymity which might be subjected to scrutiny as a result of this exercise.
xht

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

hey you, yeah you, fuck you!!!

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 07:02:43 PM

It's good and i hope with this news that the US government will eventually acknowledge the existence of bitcoin as a currency.

PieCoin

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

Follow @EasyAsPieCoin

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2016, 07:05:41 PM

The headline is a little misleading compared to what the article delivers. It's still nice to see mention of cryptocurrency in places like that though.

Would be more exciting if there were more details or specifics.

PIECoin ICO - https://c-cex.com/?p=pie-btc
PIECoin Announcement Thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1647617.0
PIE Coin Technology - http://piecoin.tech
yuiyuga

Activity: 262

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

USA due to the dollar holding in its hands the economic situation around the world. Why do they rival? They never recognize.
daiyuba1971

Activity: 255

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 07:45:35 PM

What is the interest of Americans to accept Bitcoin? They really feel very good with the dollar. Not recognize. Can't even hope.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
October 13, 2016, 07:51:01 PM

BTC training, really? I mean it's not that difficult. Anyone with a standard IQ can learn how to use BTC in a very short time. I've taught a few friends about BTC over a meal, that's all it takes.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: