Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:36:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Pre ANN] Vulcanalia Mint Physical BTC and more  (Read 12211 times)
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2016, 11:02:55 PM

Let me know if you need any custom parts machined/created for your setup. I have access to a machine shop that is fairly large.

Cool, I greatly appreciate it! This is something I planned on doing for myself later, but I figure I'll ask. Have you machined graphite before? I need a better CNC Mill before I'm able to make my own graphite molds. If you are able to make a few things, that might actually move my progress along. If not, its not a big deal, I've planned my releases around my own mechanical capabilities, with things requiring additional setup to come in later batches.

Yes they can do it, but it depends on the parts complexity. Some pieces they send to be water jetted. Send me a drawing and we can go from there. Graphite sucks to work with...big time. I am sure we could just trade some custom work for some custom work  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 12:39:35 PM

So I've been sick since the weekend. That has certainly slowed things down a bit, for some reason pouring molten metal just doesn't feel right when you are under the weather.

Anyway, I'll probably be over it in the next couple of days, and I'm hoping this weekend will be a productive one.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 06:12:16 PM

Running a bit behind schedule, finals, final projects, and preparations for finals are hitting me like a sack of hammers. Who had to make nuclear physics so damn time consuming? This is why I wont do preorders. Anyway, my expected November timeline is starting to look more like a mid December timeline. I've done a bit of metal experimentation in the free time I've had, but haven't really had 8+ hours to dedicate at any one time to get molds fired up.

I'll be sure to post any progress I make if I find a chance to do so before finals end.
Hhampuz
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 5915

Meh.

View Profile
November 30, 2016, 06:51:44 PM

Running a bit behind schedule, finals, final projects, and preparations for finals are hitting me like a sack of hammers. Who had to make nuclear physics so damn time consuming? This is why I wont do preorders. Anyway, my expected November timeline is starting to look more like a mid December timeline. I've done a bit of metal experimentation in the free time I've had, but haven't really had 8+ hours to dedicate at any one time to get molds fired up.

I'll be sure to post any progress I make if I find a chance to do so before finals end.

Was starting to wonder about updates Cheesy.

Glad to hear you are still being active, focus on the important stuff now so that we can have fun later. Looking forward to updates, and no need rushing for me at least Smiley.

Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 05:29:01 AM

Great. I think a great deal of us are eagerly awaiting to see what you may come out with.   If you could make nice looking coins like you said with a low premium, your mint will be a huge success.

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 04:33:05 AM

So I know its late for a daily update, but I had some buddies over for a fire, a few cocktails, and some blast furnace action, and I surprisingly made a lot of progress today.

I printed out this:

Alloyed a kilogram of Argentium 97% silver, 2% Germanium 1% copper:

And I made a mold out of jewelry grade investment casting powder, essentially fancy concrete. Placed the 3D printed Seahorse inside of it, and set the mold in the fire overnight. Tomorrow morning, the mold should be fired and ready to use. The plastic has already melted out of the mold leaving a perfect seahorse shaped crevice in the plaster. Just need to pour it in the top and see how it goes!

I'd have a picture of that as well, but my phone died, so I'll post it tomorrow morning. What this is is a proof of concept. Custom molds are very very expensive. The investment powder is expensive as well, but its fairly workable and would be super convenient for mold making. However, when lost wax casting - A jewelry creation method that I'm essentially doing, the mold is normally cracked open, so its a one time use. If I can pour multiple seahorses before the mold degrades and loses detail, that is a proof of concept that I'll be able to produce low premium high detail pieces. If I have to make each coin one at a time, they will be higher premium and I'll put a lot more effort into making them SUPER high quality to justify the price and time spent making the molds. If this works out, my options are greatly widened.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 03:05:57 PM

Mold didn't turn out too bad, will update this post after I pour, hopefully get the piece out without breaking the mold, and then how it looks when its done/finished.

culexevilman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin is too valuable to be used as a currency

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 03:21:39 PM

Sweet, I will keep an eye out on this, good luck on your venture! Smiley
Liad.Services

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2016, 03:30:23 PM

Mold didn't turn out too bad, will update this post after I pour, hopefully get the piece out without breaking the mold, and then how it looks when its done/finished.

Looks cool.
Glad to see that everything worked  out for you.
Keep us updated, and remember to take everything slowly as no one is in rush here

This kind of a mint can really make the premium on physical bitcoins much lower!
Cant wait to see it happens.
chronicsky
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1222

Just looking for peace

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 04:33:22 PM

That looks absolutely amazing Cheesy

Can't wait to see how the final one looks like
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 02:27:09 AM

As expected, the mold didn't hold up too well. It kind of lost detail before I could even make casts in it from stress fractures. That said, I didn't follow the proper heating procedures of the investment plaster, so its not a huge surprise. I'm working on casting a silver ring right now, I'd show pictures, but the mold is in my furnace already. Hopefully tomorrow I'll actually have something to show. Currently working on finalizing a design for a semi Bitcoin related thing that I want myself, so others may as well. Will post pictures tomorrow.
Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
December 17, 2016, 04:45:02 AM

As expected, the mold didn't hold up too well. It kind of lost detail before I could even make casts in it from stress fractures. That said, I didn't follow the proper heating procedures of the investment plaster, so its not a huge surprise. I'm working on casting a silver ring right now, I'd show pictures, but the mold is in my furnace already. Hopefully tomorrow I'll actually have something to show. Currently working on finalizing a design for a semi Bitcoin related thing that I want myself, so others may as well. Will post pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for the update.  I can't wait to see.   I'm hoping this idea works as I'd like to have your mint make a few things for me down the road.   

Hhampuz
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 11:46:55 AM

Any updates to this salty? I'd love to see if you've perfected this now since it's been a couple of months since the last update. Hope you are doing well!

digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072

View Profile
April 13, 2017, 02:50:48 PM

I'd love to hear a status update as well!  Hopefully the equipment has been put to good use in the past couple months.  Smiley

digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1072

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:41:50 PM

Friendly bump to see if any progress has been made as some users recently brought this up in a slack discussion.   Smiley

Hhampuz
Legendary

Meh.

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 07:44:58 PM

Friendly bump to see if any progress has been made as some users recently brought this up in a slack discussion.   Smiley

From what I can tell SaltySpitoon has gone missing Sad. I've sent him a couple of PM's regarding this topic and his sales thread for silver/gold without a reply..

Would be cool though if he came in and just dropped some awesome products made from this Cheesy.

AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
May 26, 2019, 09:57:18 AM

Was discussing this thread yesterday. SS has stopped by recently. Would be great if this were to happen.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: