Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:37:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmation???  (Read 1065 times)
LouReed (OP)

Activity: 732
Merit: 500

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:31:39 AM

Can someone tell me if it's normal for it to take 4+ hours, and still have zero confirmations? I sent some coins to BTCe at around 5:30, and again at 7:30, and neither of the transactions have even 1 confirmation! This is frustrating to say the least!

Thank you in advance for your replies!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:36:47 AM

It's not normal, but nor is it uncommon to have delays.  Did you pay a transaction fee?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:39:03 AM

Some details would be helpful in discussing your issue.

TransactionID?

Address sent to?

Amount sent?

Did you include a fee?

How many inputs?

Some transactions (low priority with no fee) may never confirm.

High priority with a fee will typically confirm within a few blocks.
Beauxe

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:49:13 AM

how can some transactions NEVER confirm?  what becomes of the BTC in that case?  is it lost in the ether?
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:57:44 AM

Does this help?

https://blockchain.info/tx/c34d58bef851268ec055c68cfab2ead5baef74066021eb74953b92d494e9c064
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 03:01:49 AM

You have not included a fee.

Check your settings in blockchain and always include a small fee. I think .001 BTC is normal.

The transaction should go through, but you will need to give it a day or so.

Just sit back and try to relax. I have been there.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:11:53 AM

The good news:
  • The transaction has no outputs less than 0.01 BTC.
  • The transaction is only 257 bytes.
  • The 6.89 BTC input already has 72 confirmations at this time.

If any of the three items listed above were not true, this transaction would be treated as "low priority".

The bad news:
  • The transaction did not include a fee.

The miners will fill the blocks with transactions that paid a fee.  When there are not enough fee-paying transactions to fill a block, most miners will include some "high priority" free transactions in the available space.  It may take a while (hours, maybe even a day or two), but the transaction should confirm eventually.  In the future include a small fee (0.0005 BTC should be enough) to get your transaction confirmed within the next few blocks.
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:17:52 AM

Check your settings in blockchain and always include a small fee. I think .001 BTC is normal.

Can you tell me where to include the fee in the settings? I had thought that it always included a fee, but I guess I was wrong! I've made 96 transactions with this wallet with the same setting, and always had the transaction complete within minutes.

Thanks!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:25:11 AM

how can some transactions NEVER confirm?  what becomes of the BTC in that case?  is it lost in the ether?

What happens depends a lot on what wallet program you are using.

If the wallet you are using does not re-broadcast the transaction, then eventually the network forgets about it.  Depending on the wallet program you are using, the funds might appear back in your wallet.  If your wallet continues to re-broadcast the transaction (and if it can get through the spam filter rules of the peers you are connected to), then the transaction will remain in the memory pool of the nodes on the network continuing to wait for confirmation possibly forever (or at least for a VERY long time).
LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:30:51 AM

I finally got confirmation! I still don't know how to set it to include a fee though. I'm using a Blockchain wallet, and I've looked through all the settings, and can't seem to find where to add it. I just assumed it always included it. I have no problem with the fee at all, in fact, it used to ask if I wanted to include a fee, and I always did. Not sure why it stopped doing that?
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 03:32:38 AM

Can you tell me where to include the fee in the settings? I had thought that it always included a fee, but I guess I was wrong! I've made 96 transactions with this wallet with the same setting, and always had the transaction complete within minutes.

Thanks!

Go to:

Wallet Home >> Account settings (right side of page) >> Continue >> General >> Default Fee Policy

Set to "Generous"

EDIT: glad to hear you have a confirmation.

LouReed (OP)

Nosce te Ipsum

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:07:56 AM

Thanks!

Go to:

Wallet Home >> Account settings (right side of page) >> Continue >> General >> Default Fee Policy

Set to "Generous"

EDIT: glad to hear you have a confirmation.

Thanks brother, I appreciate the help!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: