Bitcoin Forum
November 17, 2017, 07:53:41 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doubt about the deseed / reseed command  (Read 1161 times)
dimasmjunior

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:57:39 AM

Hi guys,

The documentation for Electrum mentions that I can create an offline wallet: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Electrum#Offline_wallet. It says:

step 2: extract the seed from your wallet file:
[offline]$ electrum -o -w wallet deseed
This will remove the seed from 'wallet', and save it to a file named 'wallet.seed'

This does not happen in the latest version. Instead only a file named electrum.dat.seedless is created. Without the wallet.seed it's impossible to 'reseed' a synced wallet and make offline transactions. Also the --help option does not mention any reseed command. Has things changed and the documentation is stale? Am I missing something? What is the correct way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.
Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tachikoma

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:48:21 AM

Here is how I do it.

I have a totally offline computer which I installed Electrum on and generate my offline wallet seed. I exported this wallets Master Public Key through settings->export.

I created a deseeded (read-only) wallet using the MPK on my online computer. Whenever I need to touch the funds in my offline wallet I first create a transaction from the deseeded wallet which I store on a usb drive. (You can do this by simply making a payment from "Send" tab it will save it as a file). I hook up the usb drive to my offline computer and use Electrum there to sign the transaction, after which I transfer it back to the online pc to broadcast it over the network.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
btcven

Activity: 717

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 12:47:02 AM

^
Maybe Electrum' documentation need to be updated with the MPK option for offline and online wallets.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1892

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 10:59:01 AM

sorry, the documentation on the wiki is deprecated.
please use the doc included in the package: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/tree/master/docs

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
dimasmjunior

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:10:15 PM

Thank you all. I'll try the updated documentation.

It would be very nice if electrum generated a file to make the process easier. Something like:

Code:
electrum maketx <addr> <value> unsigned.tx

And then, on the offline node:

Code:
electrum signtx unsigned.tx signed.tx

And finally:

Code:
electrum sendtx signed.tx

I understand that using stream redirection can alleviate the problem on the final step, but the signing would still be very messy. It would be nice to have a simpler command line interface.
btcven

Activity: 717

Bitcoin Venezuela

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 11:44:08 PM

It would be very nice if electrum generated a file to make the process easier. Something like:

Code:

Code:

And finally:

Code:

I understand that using stream redirection can alleviate the problem on the final step, but the signing would still be very messy. It would be nice to have a simpler command line interface.

The up to date documentations will be placed in the website in a matter of hours.

Admin: rdymac (PGP) | contacto@bitcoinvenezuela.com | @cafebitcoin | Electrum, lightweight bitcoin client
If I've been helpful tip me a coffee! Cheesy1rdymachKZpA9pTYHYHMYZjfjnoBW6B3k Bitrated user: rdymac.
Tachikoma

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:49:58 AM

Code:

Code:

And finally:

Code:

You can also do all the steps from the GUI, can't get much easier then that Smiley

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks | Bytesized Seedboxes BTC/LTC supported
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.