Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:08:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My Facebook convo with a girl about bitcoins in 2012.  (Read 1119 times)
Bowjob (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:26:59 AM

I met a random girl at the bus, she added me on Facebook a while back.

December 9, 2012
Her: hey how are you
Me: im good
Me: ive invested monies on bitcoins, i think its worth considering taking a look at it
Her: what is it
Me: its a new type of currency
Me: its a non fiat deflationary model, i believe it's set to skyrocket in the future
Me: non fiat means its not controlled by the government
Me: and deflationary means, there can only be 21 million bitcoins in existence
Me: if had I invested $1000 in bitcoins in 2010, i would be a millionaire today. ^^
Me: i'm probably boring you with my speculation lol
Her: :S i don't want to invest im scared if i lost money
Her: you know what i mean
Her: no your not boring me
Me:: 5 months ago bitcoin was worth 2 dollars
Me: now its worth 13.5
Her: so if i buy one
Her: i would make money
Me: yes, probably
Me: only about 100000 people use it worldwide.. imagine if 21 million people use it.. the profits are gonna be enormous
Her: nice
Her: have you put money toward it
Me: yeah
Me: $1000
Me: i bought at 12.75 each a few days ago
Her: how much have you made now
Me: the theoretical value if i cash out now is $1060
Me: not bad for a few days worth.. but I'm gonna hold on to it for a while
Her: how do you take money out
Her: or cash a stck
Me: you sell to people or sell to an exchange
Me: its not a stock
Me: its a currency ^^
Her: :S
Me: https://mtgox.com/
Me:those are the current market prices
Me: ive looked at the model, i may sound nuts.. but then so did those people who thought bitcoin would never reach parity
Me:i think though its not for the faint of heart investor...
Her: ill think about it
Her:i met you on on the bus right
Her: :S
Her: yes
Her:okay
Her: omg if that paid of my schooling id be happy

I haven't talked to her since, she probably did not invest.

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:29:09 AM

Honestly, I don't think this is the right approach. You sounded like a marketer there.

I think a more passive method of "spreading the word" is better. Instead of telling people that Bitcoin is good, show people that Bitcoin is good. Go to the nearest store that accepts Bitcoin and pay with Bitcoin. People will catch on.
Bowjob (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:36:29 AM

Honestly, I don't think this is the right approach. You sounded like a marketer there.

I think a more passive method of "spreading the word" is better. Instead of telling people that Bitcoin is good, show people that Bitcoin is good. Go to the nearest store that accepts Bitcoin and pay with Bitcoin. People will catch on.

That was my venture in BTCland where I went "holy shit" I'm gonna speculate and make $$$. I've already changed my thinking into stuff with BTC.

Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:59:44 AM

You should of told her you'd send 0.01 or .01 BTC to show her how it works
buddhacoiner

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:52:10 AM

Sounds like you were too excited about Bitcoin.  I make the same mistake; it's prob better to ease into it.  Definitely if it's a chick you wanted to see again...better off talking about her!
saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:54:37 AM

She will remember someday and think about that crazy person on the bus and wish she would have listened.

Bowjob (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:07:07 AM

I'm much more laid back now about the price of bitcoins.. I don't go "OMFG I'll be rich" anymore. I've already said my piece to most of the people I know IRL, there was this one dude who I told about when the price was $17. He did not purchase one bit since his reasoning was "If it goes up, it must be a bubble, if it goes down, it's crashing.. All the way to $105. He's kicking himself now from his FB comments. I've since realized a hefty gain and I plan to hold the rest of the coins when they reach $10,000+ each which is very reachable IMO. I won't preach bitcoins anymore; I'm tired of having people think I sell snake oil or something. Their loss, this rocket is headed for pluto. Smiley

inge

Activity: 298

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:45:41 PM

Bitcoins strength is not just its growing price. Bitcoins are an easy way of sending money value all over the internet. That is the reason that the so called “real” economy should adopt Bitcoin for transactions…

Inge
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:55:57 PM

That sounds like just about every conversation I've had with anyone about Bitcoin. The few I've convinced have thanked me.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
canada

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 08:49:48 PM

as cool as you might think bitcoins are, they'll never be cool enough to pick up girls.

ps; you lost her at the first :s
Frost

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 10:15:09 PM

Bitcoins strength is not just its growing price. Bitcoins are an easy way of sending money value all over the internet. That is the reason that the so called “real” economy should adopt Bitcoin for transactions…

Inge

Tell this my mother and let her send you a small amount of bitcoins and if the bitcoins arrive on your side, then I do believe you. To be honest... the usability and security aspect of bitcoins are the biggest problem behind this otherwise great concept. To be honest... the philosophy of bitcoins seems to be cool and I like it. But the usability is crap. Neither your mom or my mom would be able to send bitcoins to anybody.

They simply would be overhelmed with the process. Bitcoins are yet not suitable for the mass. To say it more precisely.... using paypal for those kind of transactions is both thousandfold easier and even with smartphone security code much more secure than the bitcoin system is today.

And then bitcoins are still too much volatile. I guess the economy wont accept it until this would change. Bitcoins is at the moment nothing else than speculation.

Don´t understand me wrong... I wish what you mean would come true. But until that point, there is a long long way. Non-geeks would have a hard time to understand how to use bitcoins.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 10:20:24 PM

Don´t understand me wrong... I wish what you mean would come true. But until that point, there is a long long way. Non-geeks would have a hard time to understand how to use bitcoins.

blockchain.info hardly requires a computer science PhD. The toughest part is converting fiat to BTC. That's what my dad thinks anyway.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 11:20:33 PM

blockchain.info hardly requires a computer science PhD. The toughest part is converting fiat to BTC. That's what my dad thinks anyway.
Yep. Going back the other way is a stone bitch, too. At least, doing so legally.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:17:24 AM

No wonder you don't have friends. Smiley
dg2010

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 09:30:28 AM

You met a girl on the bus and this is how you opened the conversation?

Calling FAKE, either that or you have major aspergers type syndrome.
Bowjob (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:11:32 PM

You met a girl on the bus and this is how you opened the conversation?

Calling FAKE, either that or you have major aspergers type syndrome.

No, I met her on the bus.. talked about RL stuff.. she asked for my facebook, phone ect. This was our first fb convo after a few weeks.. since you know facebook is more of an acquaintance list more than anything.

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:28:11 PM

Any word of bitcoins is a good word.

What I usually do is talk about how I can procure goods and services using bitcoins as a mean of wealth transfer.

For example I bought a VPS, registered a name (this one took converting to fiat) and bought a Wii game on Amazon (also had to convert to fiat).

Then I try to explain how I save in Bitcoins and dig into the bitcoin savings and give an example of:

If for example bitcoin would be worth $100 (this is for easy math) and I convert $100, because of the deflationary model, the 1 bitcoin I have is worth $200 (this is for easy math).

Meaning that I only really spend $50 to buy something six month in the future and I still have $50 more to spend.

I tell them, its similar to buying land but a lot more liquid cause land tends to grow against fiat. Only difference is that its easier to sell bitcoins than to sell land.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: