Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:30:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Taxes in Europe?  (Read 674 times)
advanced (OP)

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

Woodwallets.io

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 08:36:53 AM

Hi guys, I'm still stuck in the newbie section but I have a question I want to ask, which I didn't find in the tax section.

Say I'm a freelance in Europe that runs a web service for trading BTC through mtgox.

How and how much do I have to pay in taxes if :
    -  The users of my service pay me in bitcoins only (monthly fee)
    -  The users of my service pay me in $
    -  The users of my service pay me in €

Thank you in advance

Bitmessage : BM-NAx31aEiqeq5zKUtxhKscXQ7Dwn1jJfR
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
b1tm3

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:46:44 AM

Hi guys, I'm still stuck in the newbie section but I have a question I want to ask, which I didn't find in the tax section.

Say I'm a freelance in Europe that runs a web service for trading BTC through mtgox.

How and how much do I have to pay in taxes if :
    -  The users of my service pay me in bitcoins only (monthly fee)
    -  The users of my service pay me in $
    -  The users of my service pay me in €

Thank you in advance

Your local tax authority will not care whether you get paid in BTC, USD, EUR or any other currency, nor whether you sell it as a subscription or not. They will want to know the prices of the goods and services you sell, how much revenue you generate, how much income you receive etc (nominated in local legal tender) and tax you as usual.
aquarius

Activity: 275

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:50:09 AM

don´t pay any taxes, that will only encourage them to oppress us more Wink
reactive4ce

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:07:05 AM

Just pay your taxes from money you receive on your bank account. If you keep $ and not converting it to €, there are annual average conversion rates made public with your central bank. It works for me.
advanced (OP)

Activity: 267

Woodwallets.io

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 09:27:50 AM

Thank you all!

Bitmessage : BM-NAx31aEiqeq5zKUtxhKscXQ7Dwn1jJfR
virtualmaster

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:46:02 AM

It depends on what you want.
As long you have the money in the chain is secure from any tax but if you withdraw your profit in fiat you are eligible for taxes.
You should convert in fiat only what you really need if you have a business running in bitcoin and you want to save tax.
If you want to pay as much tax as possible than convert it all in fiat.

Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
Namecoinia.org  -  take the planet in your hands
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba   |  NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S
b1tm3

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:30:55 AM

It depends on what you want.
As long you have the money in the chain is secure from any tax but if you withdraw your profit in fiat you are eligible for taxes.
You should convert in fiat only what you really need if you have a business running in bitcoin and you want to save tax.
If you want to pay as much tax as possible than convert it all in fiat.

Please dont be offended, but this simply isnt true. The tax authorities will not care whether you change from BTC to fiat or not, and depending on the context it can be more or less easy for them to figure out that you are doing something and not telling them about it. They actually dont even need to figure out what that is or how much you are making from it, they can just decide on an arbitrary amount and prosecute you for not having paid that.

If you want make money from selling bitcoin goods and services and not pay taxes, you still ought to report some income that is feasible compared to your living expenses in order to keep the tax authorities happy. You also need to set up some way of actually spending and withdrawing the money you make, like e.g. a no-name card.
greekie

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:16:59 PM

And I thought one of the points of BTC was to get out of paying taxes...
b1tm3

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:22:05 AM

And I thought one of the points of BTC was to get out of paying taxes...

You dont have to use BTC to get out of paying taxes. The thing about any such venture however is that tax authorities will still want to know how you finance yourself and may arbitrarily prosecute you for withholding taxes even without knowing how much or what youve been doing if your lifestyle doesnt add up with what you report. I know a lot of idiots who have reported no income and then got killed by the tax authorities, even though they had no way of knowing exactly how much had been withheld or how the money had been earned.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: