Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:28:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 things you can do to help the Bitcoin cause  (Read 1021 times)
ManBearPig (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 10:12:08 AM

I've searched and found nothing similar or certainly not posted recently so I thought I'd share what I'm doing to help this thing.

1) Ask your favourite online retailers if they plan to accept Bitcoin. No need to go into a spiel - many may be considering it already but the volatility might be a negative factor. See this is a simple registering of interest.

2) Tell your friends about Bitcoin. Don't be preachy, don't be techy. Just link to a plain English, non-biased (yeah I know!) explanation of what Bitcoin is and what it has done recently. Perhaps drop in the caveats "What goes up.." Past performance is not an indicator..." etc.

3) Get a friend of family member to buy 1 BTC - damn this now reads like a pyramid scheme. Perhaps just ask, don't force. Now all my family know about it. Even my Mum asked "Where can I buy them?" <- Bears you may now reply using the word bubble or crash as you see fit.

My Bitcoin news posting on social networking mostly tends to fall on deaf ears but a couple of the more smart friends have asked me to explain more, which I have done. Perhaps in a year or two I will retroactively become their best friend ever when they come to cash in their pet Bitcoin Smiley

Anything else anyone would like to add?

I tweet crypto nonsense: https://twitter.com/DunningKruger_

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:21:53 AM

Create new services that accepts bitcoin or/and include even donate bitcoin button on your blog or whatever page you have so people get used to it.

ManBearPig (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 10:28:58 AM

Create new services that accepts bitcoin or/and include even donate bitcoin button on your blog or whatever page you have so people get used to it.

Of course, yes. I currently take payments by PayPal via PhotoShelter. Although I can't accept Bitcoin on THEIR system I can ask them if they'd like to consider taking Bitcoin. PP's 3% fees they've earned from me over the last decade would have sent me on a nice holiday...

I can mention to people who want to pay me that I accept Bitcoin or Paypal in that order perhaps?

joecascio

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

Semi-retired software developer, tech consultant

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 10:56:16 AM

Propagate the slogan: "Do Business In Bitcoin".

Right now, bitcoins are being used mostly as a store of value and a speculative commodity purchase. We need to get bitcoin flowing in and out of businesses and consumers' hands so they get spread around. The more people use them, the more different people will hear about and want to use them and the less the government will be able to control them.

In particular, B2B commerce should be encouraged to use bitcoin because of its ease and speed of transmission and extremely low fees. This would allow vendors to offer discounts to their commercial customers for paying in bitcoin because it saves them money and there's no payment float time. There is even an argument for deep discounting early payments based on the expected price rise of bitcoin.

Right now the currency exchanges are a choke point and will soon feel the stultifying hand of US government regulation and oversight.

So offer to pay in bitcoin and accept it from direct customers.

Joe Cascio
Python/Django & Android developer
Twitter: @joecascio
rme

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:25:00 AM

Tell your friends about BTC
Tungsten

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 02:07:16 PM

Wordpress.org + WooCommerce plugin + Bitcoin Payments for WooCommerce = your own free online store to sell digital and physical products and use bitcoin along with any other currency and any other payment processor.

• 188888888qZ5Mv4u5C2Bve6eyVJBFR5EEj • Get personalized bitcoin address like that at http://vanitycoin.com/
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 02:08:51 PM

If buying bitcoins didn't make their spot price increase, would you guys still be telling everyone about bitcoin?

ManBearPig (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 06:47:39 PM

If buying bitcoins didn't make their spot price increase, would you guys still be telling everyone about bitcoin?

Yes but the reasons would be in a different order.

ManBearPig (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 06:50:50 PM

Wordpress.org + WooCommerce plugin + Bitcoin Payments for WooCommerce = your own free online store to sell digital and physical products and use bitcoin along with any other currency and any other payment processor.

This is great, thanks for the heads up. I've only just installed Wordpress on one of my sites for the first time and am looking to do away with the current Photoshelter/ Paypal set-up which takes a big chunk of each sale I make.

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 06:59:14 PM

I've searched and found nothing similar or certainly not posted recently so I thought I'd share what I'm doing to help this thing.

1) Ask your favourite online retailers if they plan to accept Bitcoin. No need to go into a spiel - many may be considering it already but the volatility might be a negative factor. See this is a simple registering of interest.
Done.
2) Tell your friends about Bitcoin. Don't be preachy, don't be techy. Just link to a plain English, non-biased (yeah I know!) explanation of what Bitcoin is and what it has done recently. Perhaps drop in the caveats "What goes up.." Past performance is not an indicator..." etc.
Done.
3) Get a friend of family member to buy 1 BTC - damn this now reads like a pyramid scheme. Perhaps just ask, don't force. Now all my family know about it. Even my Mum asked "Where can I buy them?" <- Bears you may now reply using the word bubble or crash as you see fit.
Cannot be done. I feel so sorry for everyone I "offered the red pill" to around me.
My Bitcoin news posting on social networking mostly tends to fall on deaf ears but a couple of the more smart friends have asked me to explain more, which I have done. Perhaps in a year or two I will retroactively become their best friend ever when they come to cash in their pet Bitcoin Smiley
Done, but very much deaf ears, I cant even spark up a debate.
Anything else anyone would like to add?
Offer goods or services for bitcoin, tell your employer that you wouldn't mind accepting part of your salary in bitcoin.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
ManBearPig (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 07:08:48 PM

Offer goods or services for bitcoin, tell your employer that you wouldn't mind accepting part of your salary in bitcoin.

I'm working on this one right now Smiley

I work for myself so am in a great position to try the second suggestion. I know I'd send my accountant's brain into meltdown by suggesting I pay myself in Bitcoin.

It's going to have to be considered though!

uneone

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:55:07 AM

I have posted ads on craigslist where I say that I take bitcoins as payment but have had no successful transactions.

I just posted ads saying I was interested in buying/selling btc on the craigslist of my town so maybe there will be some newfounders in that way..  Roll Eyes
ManBearPig (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 11:13:31 AM

By way of an update:

I now accept Bitcoin for my photography business http://tonycoleby.com.

My company is a Bitpay approved merchant as of this morning.

I got 2 more people interested at a party on Saturday and one is reading up all the links I sent him today with a view to buying (be quick dammit!)

One friend on Facebook admits she hasn't a clue what Bitcoin is but all my posting on the subject helped her score 7/7 on the BBC magazine quiz of the week.

I keep posting nice charts everywhere.

Doing my bit Smiley

psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:42:04 PM

We are launching a massive PR campaign for Bitcoin to help spread the truth Smiley

https://bitcoinstarter.com/projects/31

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: