Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:00:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for Meta Access for Newbies.  (Read 1268 times)
Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 09:22:21 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2011, 10:34:46 PM by Atlas

We want to see Meta Access allotted to newbies so Bitcoin-related discussion can be exclusively facilitated in the newbie forums -- unhindered -- and complaints can go in a more appropriate section. The following discussion should sum up our reasoning.

If you have any complaints or questions about how this forum is maintained, please take it to the Meta board above or discuss it in the 'Newbie Restrictions' thread stickied on this very board.

We appreciate our users and what they bring to the Bitcoin conversation but we cannot condone noise about the conversation within itself -- it only hinders it.

Thank you for your understanding.

Addendum, please feel free to contact any of the staff members personally if you have any concerns. We really want to make you happy but in a constructive manner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:31:45 PM

Uhh... Yeah it is. In fact, it's for discussing anything. Remember that the newbies can't post in Meta...

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 09:33:30 PM

Uhh... Yeah it is. In fact, it's for discussing anything. Remember that the newbies can't post in Meta...
That needs to be changed. Give the newbies Meta access. We cannot allow the complainers to interfere with newbies who just want to discuss Bitcoin. The latter should be our number one priority.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:38:02 PM

That needs to be changed. Give the newbies Meta access. We cannot allow the complainers to interfere with newbies who just want to discuss Bitcoin. Those individuals should be our number one priority.
Then move this over to Meta so we can give them Meta access before you make a sticky about it.

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 09:40:27 PM

That needs to be changed. Give the newbies Meta access. We cannot allow the complainers to interfere with newbies who just want to discuss Bitcoin. Those individuals should be our number one priority.
Then move this over to Meta so we can give them Meta access before you make a sticky about it.
No, it is in the best interest of the discussion to maintain a pure environment on this board. I will continue to lock and move meta threads regardless.

Besides, we have the meta discussion (Newbie Restrictions) thread to faciliate such discussions at the moment. Complaints should not be a high priority. This is a private forum on a private server. The owner's interests should be served first and I believe their interest entails a relevant discussion. Not worthless whining about the existence of the forum itself.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:44:56 PM

No, it is in the best interest of the discussion to maintain a pure environment on this board. I will continue to lock and move meta threads regardless.

Besides, we have the meta discussion (Newbie Restrictions) thread to faciliate such discussions at the moment. Complaints should not be a high priority. This is a private forum on a private server. The owner's interests should be served first and I believe their interest entails a relevant discussion. Not worthless mining about the existence of the forum itself.
Merge threads about the newbie restrictions there, but any other forum threads should be left alone unless they qualify to be moved or we give the newbies Meta access.

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 09:50:14 PM

Besides, we have the meta discussion (Newbie Restrictions) thread to faciliate such discussions at the moment. Complaints should not be a high priority. This is a private forum on a private server. The owner's interests should be served first and I believe their interest entails a relevant discussion. Not worthless mining about the existence of the forum itself.
Merge threads about the newbie restrictions there, but any other forum threads should be left alone unless they qualify to be moved or we give the newbies Meta access.
I don't think you see the big picture here. This forum is supposed to be a warm welcome for people interested in Bitcoin. Those threads -- they completely work against the objective. To serve them, to cater to such threads is utterly inane.

Anyways, yes, we WILL give the newbies access. It's not optional.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:53:03 PM

I don't think you see the big picture here. This forum is supposed to be a warm welcome for people interested in Bitcoin. Those threads -- they completely work against the objective. To serve them, to cater to such threads is utterly inane.

Not catering to those threads goes against the whole project.

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 09:54:23 PM

No, the project is about Bitcoin software and the currency. Not about the board it is discussed on.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:59:13 PM

No, the project is about Bitcoin software and the currency. Not about the board it is discussed on.
And the discussion of those things need to be open, as well as the discussion about how the discussion ISN'T open.

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 10:03:20 PM

And the discussion of those things need to be open, as well as the discussion about how the discussion ISN'T open.
There's a difference between open and a conversation that's absolutely hindered to the point to where Bitcoin isn't even discussed. The forum is merely a tool for the collaboration that is required to build Bitcoin.

We are open. There's nothing not open about having a facilitated conversation. This tool needs to be used appropriately. Not as a bullhorn for those who want to scream into it. We aren't capitol hill or a protest convention. Again, we are a tool that is used to build Bitcoin. Meta discussion in this board doesn't build Bitcoin or its forum.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:10:24 PM

There's a difference between open and a conversation that's absolutely hindered to the point to where Bitcoin isn't even discussed. The forum is merely a tool for the collaboration that is required to build Bitcoin.

We are open. There's nothing not open about having a facilitated conversation. This tool needs to be used appropriately. Not as a bullhorn for those who want to scream into it. We aren't capitol hill or a protest convention. Again, we are a tool that is used to build Bitcoin. Meta discussion in this board doesn't build Bitcoin or its forum.
And I agree with you. However, it's premature to implement this policy until the newbies have access to the Meta board. To block newbies from discussing the forum altogether is a disservice to everything we are trying to accomplish.

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 10:15:24 PM

To block newbies from discussing the forum altogether is a disservice to everything we are trying to accomplish.
I understand. I will cope but I still feel these threads add seams to the experience of more modest newcomers. I want their experience to be seamless. All I want is a good experience for those who are excited about Bitcoin.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:21:26 PM

Now... wanna fix this up to be a policy request and move it to Meta? I'm sure it's fun to watch two mods fight, but this really doesn't belong here.

Anonymous

June 13, 2011, 10:31:35 PM

Now... wanna fix this up to be a policy request and move it to Meta? I'm sure it's fun to watch two mods fight, but this really doesn't belong here.
Ha, this wasn't a fight -- it was a discussion. Also, how ironic. Yep, moving.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: