Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 08:55:45 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Precautionary Advice Needed  (Read 710 times)
coinlee (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 07:20:39 PM

Hello All,

After 4 days of syncing, i am happy to say i have FINALLY installed Bitcoin Core on my Mac. I am about to launch Armory now (while Bitcoin Core is running).
But before i do that, i dont want to loose the blockchain data which has taken so long to DL. Is there anyway i can copy the blockchain data and store the backup locally on the same computer. I just want to avoid the risk of corrupting the darn thing.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2016, 07:33:44 PM

Yes. Shut down both Armory and Bitcoin Core. Then just copy the entire Bitcoin Core data directory to a safe location. To restore, just replace the data directory with your backup and it will pick up from where the backup left off.

Carlton Banks
Legendary

Merit: 3074

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 09:43:11 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2016, 11:39:24 AM by Carlton Banks

Finding the bitcoin folder on the Mac isn't straightforward.....

Off the top of my head (only did this one time before now, not a Mac user), you need to:

• Open a Finder
  • Press Bagel key + Shift + F
  • Type ~/Library into the input box that appears. Click Ok
  • The hidden ~/Library folder contains the Bitcoin user folder.... somewhere! (make sure you're logged into the user account that was used to sync Core)

Sorry the last step is vague, but I'm pretty sure the bitcoin user folder is directly in that folder (~/Library). It's in a sub-folder to that if not. Note that the ~/ part of that path is essential, /Library is the wrong folder, but exists on MacOS/OSX.

Vires in numeris
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 10:08:50 AM

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/testing/cppForSwig/BlockUtils.cpp#L714

... Press Bagel key ...

Wait what? Sounds delicious!

Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 11:46:56 AM

*chuckling*

If only the Bagel key actually baked you an instant bagel. I was promised a technological singularity goddammit, you'd think someone would have come up with a patisserie nano-printer by now Cheesy

Vires in numeris
coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 11:47:07 AM

Thanks. I managed to find the folder but I have heard if u copy and paste the file elsewhere it will delete the original file on macs. I do not want to risk that. Is it ok if I just open bitcoin core and then run armory. Will I risk corruption??
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 12:04:37 PM

I'm not sure why using Finder to copy-paste would delete the old folder, not saying you're wrong, but it doesn't make any sense on the face of it. To my mind, there is more of a risk of the random data corruption you're worried about in the first instance than there is that a copy-paste will delete the old data/folder. Especially if your Mac has an aging hard disk.

Vires in numeris
coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 04:47:31 PM

Ok, it appears im all set. One last question.

Which version of Armory will best work with Bitcoin Core 0.13.0 ?

PS. Bitcoin 0.13.0 is the version which i have spent 4 days downloading and it is the latest version, so please please please say it will work with Armory. 
PS. Im using a mac.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Ok, it appears im all set. One last question.

Which version of Armory will best work with Bitcoin Core 0.13.0 ?

PS. Bitcoin 0.13.0 is the version which i have spent 4 days downloading and it is the latest version, so please please please say it will work with Armory. 
PS. Im using a mac.
Use the latest versions (0.94.1 and Core 0.13.0). They work.

coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 04:53:56 PM

Thanks again achow101.
coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 02:58:29 PM

Will copying the "Bitcoin" folder (which is massive) cause the actual original file to become corrupted? I am treating the blockchain data like fragile glass. It took way too long to download and yes i spent most of the time looking at it. I cannot risk it to become corrupted when i run armory.

And secondly, can i just paste the copied file in the documents directory without making my system melt.

PS. Im using a fairly new mac (desktop).
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2016, 03:14:51 PM

Will copying the "Bitcoin" folder (which is massive) cause the actual original file to become corrupted? I am treating the blockchain data like fragile glass. It took way too long to download and yes i spent most of the time looking at it. I cannot risk it to become corrupted when i run armory.
It should not cause it to become corrupted. Just make sure that both Bitcoin Core and Armory are not running and that you don't have an antivirus that is scanning that data.

And secondly, can i just paste the copied file in the documents directory without making my system melt.

PS. Im using a fairly new mac (desktop).
Should be able to.

coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 02:57:07 PM

Where would i be able to find the armorycpplog.txt file?

I want to completely wipe armory 0.93 on my mac and install 0.94
But my mac says its unable to wipe the program since armorycpplog.txt is open.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 02:59:02 PM

Where would i be able to find the armorycpplog.txt file?

I want to completely wipe armory 0.93 on my mac and install 0.94
But it my mac says its unable to wipe the program since armorycpplog.txt is open.
Check that you don't have a text editor with the file open. IIRC Macs don't actually close the program when you click the x so it might still be open.

coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:03:36 PM

Well i spent the whole last 5 days downloading/syncing Bitcoin core. I have made a copy of the whole "Bitcoin" file into my documents.
If that program/file (armorycpplog.txt) was open the whole time i was downloading the Blockchain. Is there a chance im sitting on a corrupted blockchain here? *bites nails and stares into the abyss*  Huh
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 03:17:51 PM

Well i spent the whole last 5 days downloading/syncing Bitcoin core. I have made a copy of the whole "Bitcoin" file into my documents.
If that program/file (armorycpplog.txt) was open the whole time i was downloading the Blockchain. Is there a chance im sitting on a corrupted blockchain here? *bites nails and stares into the abyss*  Huh
No. It will not affect anything Bitcoin Core does because that log is only for Armory. It won't affect Armory does either because it is just a log file.

coinlee (OP)

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:49:23 PM

Thanks i have it all running with the correct blocks showing.

Finally, i have restored my wallet with the seed.
Balance is not showing, just saying "scanning 15%"

Shall i just wait? And i also heard balance may not show after that, what steps shall i take if my correct balance doesnt show?  And thanks for actually helping me out here, you have been a great deal of help. All of you guys are amazing.

PS : i am using 0.94.1 armory and 0.13 bitcoin core.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 05:29:50 PM

Yes, wait for the Db build and the transcation scanning to complete.

Vires in numeris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: