Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:10:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to use an Antminer or other miner to rebuild Bitcoin-QT blockchain?  (Read 639 times)
soy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 15, 2016, 11:28:54 PM

I only keep a single blockchain current now and no real reason except in case it might be needed.  It broke recently.  I'm slowly rebuilding.  I have 6 or 8 antiminers here of various flavors that I keep just in case mining ever becomes profitable again at my electric cost.  It really would be great if there were some way I could speed up the Bitcoin-QT chain reindex with a miner somehow.

soy

Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7997

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 12:28:03 AM

I only keep a single blockchain current now and no real reason except in case it might be needed.  It broke recently.  I'm slowly rebuilding.  I have 6 or 8 antiminers here of various flavors that I keep just in case mining ever becomes profitable again at my electric cost.  It really would be great if there were some way I could speed up the Bitcoin-QT chain reindex with a miner somehow.

soy

They are single-purpose machines - you can't.
soy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 01:40:56 AM

My first foray into Bitcoin mining beyond CPU was an FPGA.  The  zTex was already outpaced by graphics cards and was overpriced but I ran it for a year.  Wonder if an FPGA could be programmed to aid Bitcoin-QT reindexing.
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7997

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 02:37:21 PM

My first foray into Bitcoin mining beyond CPU was an FPGA.  The  zTex was already outpaced by graphics cards and was overpriced but I ran it for a year.  Wonder if an FPGA could be programmed to aid Bitcoin-QT reindexing.

Sounds like you were an early adopter.  Cool.  I mined with GPUs for a bit, couldn't buy an FPGA for trying and then got screwed over by BFL.
Anyway, I think the re-indexing is a single thread process.  I've read into trying to speed it up before without a great deal of success.  Increasing dbcache size in the conf file helped and using an SSD also helped but it still feels slow.  I'm not sure a multi-FPGA configuration would help with that.
soy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 04:20:40 PM

Oh well, just under a year left to reindex.  BFL, yes, built for themselves/cronies and didn't release to pre-paid until the model was barely breaking even.  MtGox seemed attractive to me because it was in Japan.  Years ago I was so impressed having heard that some Japanese business owners would kill themselves if their business failed.  One must figure Karpales opened in Japan to exploit that sense of honor.  So, the US and ripoff businessmen.  That BFL owner had been indicted for postal mail fraud in Florida, right?  That was before BFL existed.  Florida seems a magnet for fraudsters.  Amazon disappoints me now with so many 3rd party sales where if one tries to trackdown where they're based it doesn't seem possible.  I care as I won't buy from an online seller based in Florida if I can help it.  And Trump with the Republican nomination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: