Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:55:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Site closed] Bitcoin Tipping Addresses-New Bitcoin Addresses for every donation  (Read 1778 times)
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 02:34:14 PM
Last edit: November 15, 2016, 04:07:44 PM by achow101

I have decided to close down the website. The project and this thread remains open for whoever wishes to run their own site.

Today I am announcing another project of mine.

Bitcoin Tipping Addresses lets you enter in a BIP 32 Extended Public Key or a list of addresses and it will give you some code that you can embed on any website, forum, github, or Reddit. This code will always show the next address in the list that has not received any Bitcoin. It lets you not need to reuse addresses for receiving donations.

The website is https://bittipaddress.com

How It Works

You simply enter a BIP 32 Extended Public key or a list of addresses that you want to use. Then you get code that you can embed on any website, forum, github, or reddit. This code links back to the server which will either display the correct address or provide a redirect to the Bitcoin URI of the latest empty address.

You can also change the addresses afterwards if necessary. You will receive an ID and a password which will allow you to edit the parameters of your unit.

Embedded code

There are three codes that you can embed. Here are examples of the three. Currently only HTML will show the actual address. The BBCode and Reddit ones will only show a link to a Bitcoin URI which will open the wallet for the user.

HTML (websites and most Markdowns):
Code:
<iframe src="http://bittipaddress.com/bittipaddr/addressfor/da7ir8dl" style="border:none;" scrolling="no"></iframe>

BBCode (forums):
Code:
[url=http://bittipaddress.com/bittipaddr/addressfor/da7ir8dl?redirect]Tip Me![/url]
Tip Me!

Reddit:
Code:
[Tip Me!](http://bittipaddress.com/bittipaddr/addressfor/da7ir8dl?redirect)

Source Code

This project is open source and available at https://github.com/achow101/bittipaddr. The project is written in Java and uses the Google Web Toolkit, BitcoinJ, Amazon Web Services' DynamoDB, and BlockcCypher's API.

License

This project is available under the MIT License. See the LICENSE file in the GitHub Repo for details. Copyright (c) 2016 Andrew Chow

Donations

Think that this project is helpful? Please Tip Me!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 09:37:01 PM

I like how you used the "tip me" button at the bottom of the page Smiley

Let's say I am using a wallet that doesn't have support for bitcoin links or my browser does not support external protocol requests. Is there still a way to get the bitcoin address?

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2016, 09:39:17 PM

I like how you used the "tip me" button at the bottom of the page Smiley

Let's say I am using a wallet that doesn't have support for bitcoin links or my browser does not support external protocol requests. Is there still a way to get the bitcoin address?
If you look at the link, it has a ?redirect on the end of it. If you remove that and then go to the link, the page will just show you the address.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2016, 04:10:46 AM

I wasn't expecting to see this done in Java. Very cool Achow, I like it!

Chris!
Legendary

Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 01:56:30 AM

Holy crap this is smart. I always wondered why people would use the same address over years for accepting tips but obviously couldn't find a solution to it. This makes so much sense. Good for you for actually solving the issue at hand!
btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 565

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 07:03:34 AM

Nice simple implementation

Could you tell some reasons advantage of not  address for donations. Since the address is publicly visible anyway.... what privacy benefits are we getting here

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2016, 12:29:54 PM

Could you tell some reasons advantage of not  address for donations. Since the address is publicly visible anyway.... what privacy benefits are we getting here
First, not everyone will actually know your donation addresses unless they are checking it every single second. Otherwise they could in theory miss when someone donates to you. Thus it will be impossible to know how much money you have actually made off of donations, which helps with privacy.

Secondly, avoiding address reuse helps with protecting against quantum computers and any potential vulnerabilities with ECDSA where the private key could be extracted from the public key.

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 05:24:41 PM

Another good contribution to the system achow! So if I understood everything correctly,once a generated address receives the coins,the embedded function auto generates a new bitcoin address ? Awesome!

P.S : Might as well wanna update the form a little bit.
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2016, 06:19:01 PM

Another good contribution to the system achow! So if I understood everything correctly,once a generated address receives the coins,the embedded function auto generates a new bitcoin address ? Awesome!
It actually pregenerates a list of 1000 addresses from an xpub or just takes the list that you enter and will get the first empty address from that list. With an xpub, it should generate another 1000 after the list runs out, with the entered list, it will go with the last address after after the list runs out.

P.S : Might as well wanna update the form a little bit.
What's wrong with it? My crappy web design skills?

DicePalace

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 06:41:29 PM

Thanks for your contribution. It can be really useful for donation purpose.
btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 565

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 04:13:36 AM

First, not everyone will actually know your donation addresses unless they are checking it every single second. Otherwise they could in theory miss when someone donates to you. Thus it will be impossible to know how much money you have actually made off of donations, which helps with privacy.

Secondly, avoiding address reuse helps with protecting against quantum computers and any potential vulnerabilities with ECDSA where the private key could be extracted from the public key.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation and work done here. While I like the project, I think donations isn't the correct application for this

Donation pages work on social proof. People are more likely to donate if they see existing people donating and a big figure of donations already received. You can see this in kickstarter , ethereum crowdsale etc.  Privacy is not of much use in case of donations.  If user sees an address with zero balance/transactions, he is not at all likely to donate. What we want here is a reverse feature, create a widget that shows inline a  trail of donation transactions so that people get social proof.

I think this project is more useful in case of exchanges/ games. Here each user has a wallet deposit address. Whenever, he deposits money into the address, it creates a new one. This way its difficult for forensic tool to guess users' balance.

achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2016, 02:45:44 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2016, 03:22:02 PM by achow101

Unless there is a significant increase in usage, I will be shutting down the site on December 1st.

BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 07:11:07 AM

I could think of a few uses for this...with..  Physical bitcoins.   Or a Trezor enabled paper wallet even.   Also.. I would like to see this run locality from a raspberry pi...
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2016, 03:21:39 PM

Bump.

BuySomeBitcoins

Activity: 434
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 15, 2016, 03:56:36 PM

Am I the only one who get a white blank page visiting the website ?
achow101 (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2016, 04:05:48 PM

Am I the only one who get a white blank page visiting the website ?

The server died and I don't feel like starting it back up, so the site is now closed. The source code is still available for whoever wants to run their own site, and I will keep this thread open for questions about the code itself.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: