Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:36:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Spare a coin for Butterfly Labs (BFL)  (Read 2800 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 06:42:49 PM

Dear Butterfly Labs,

10 month ago you started to take our pre order money. Since 10 month we are waiting for the ASICs that you still advertise all over the Internet:

Will we ever see such a product? 60 GH/s on one single PCB, with this tiny heatsink that you have in your Ad.

I would like to offer my help and give you a quarter so that you can go and purchase a clue.

Here is my first clue. And it's for free: Clue #1 (hint: this is what you do before you go into mass production and produce tons of PCBs, boxes with fans and heatsinks that you can throw away afterwards).

Sincerely,
Frizz

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:00:10 PM

Will we ever see such a product? 60 GH/s on one single PCB, with this tiny heatsink that you have in your Ad.
You know that the heatsink in the picture is for their old FPGA Single. The newer SC Singles use a different, slightly larger heatsink.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:15:09 PM

You know that the heatsink in the picture is for their old FPGA Single. The newer SC Singles use a different, slightly larger heatsink.

So they advertise their old FPGA products as ASIC products? I'd call that malicious deception.

SkRRJyTC
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:16:35 PM

Thats clearly deceptive.
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:28:44 PM

Oh no! It doesn't match the picture!

Big macs don't either. Do people get refunds from mcdonalds?
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:49:47 AM

It's not a secret that they've changed the heatsinks which they were originally going to use for their ASICs - Josh posted about it the other day.

I'd say that BFL_Steven's comments in Shoutbox are probably more relevant to actual issues than whether or not the photos on the product website have been updated (yes, they should be but I doubt anyone is ordering an ASIC based solely on images of the heatsink).

Quote from: BFL_Steven
* Chips count per device may change, depending on results this week

* Power affects everything. Jalapeno may have to ship with external power. And possibly air cooling.

* New boards testing this week.  (...)  I'd guess shipping next week.

Overclocking is not a supported option. Custom enabling of chip cores or speed adjustments are not supported at this time.

https://twitter.com/BFL_News

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:56:14 AM

If you really wanna use that analogy for BFL: People who ordered a Big Mac 10 month ago now get two Chicken Nuggets instead.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 06:11:38 AM

If you really wanna use that analogy for BFL: People who ordered a Big Mac 10 month ago now get two Chicken Nuggets instead.

Unless McRibs are in season.
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:33:21 AM

clue #2

ny2cafuse
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

HODL for life.

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:40:29 PM

I can walk into McDonalds right now, buy a big mac, and walk out feeling like I got something for my money.  If I had to wait 10+ months for a big mac, I'd be pissed.

Community > Devs
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:44:09 PM

It's not a secret that they've changed the heatsinks which they were originally going to use for their ASICs - Josh posted about it the other day.

The pictured product is clearly an FPGA Single.

That heatsink pictured was never in consideration for use in the SC product line.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:09:42 PM

True. Plus there will never be a 60GH/s miner. According to Dave/BFL most probably people that ordered a Single SC (60GH/s) will get multiple Little Single SC (30GH/s ?) because of power consumption / heat problems.

But BFLs Ad is still online. I'd call that malicious deception.

Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:58:28 PM

True. Plus there will never be a 60GH/s miner. According to Dave/BFL most probably people that ordered a Single SC (60GH/s) will get multiple Little Single SC (30GH/s ?) because of power consumption / heat problems.

The minirig might hit 60GH/s. Luke-Jr has said that the little single he was working with couldn't hit 30GH/s, the pictures josh took showed 24GH/s and 179 watts, which the power supplies can't handle, but stick 10 of those boards in a minirig, underclock them to 25% power, and boom, 60GH/s, 447 watts, and enough fans to keep it cool. All of those specs would be pretty much in line with what avalon has shown is possible, and the difference in power usage accounts for the difference in die size.

The number of chips, hashing power, power usage, unit size would all line up with reality. Granted, with the number of chips they have right now they could only make 25 units.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:08:44 PM

The minirig might hit 60GH/s. Luke-Jr has said that the little single he was working with couldn't hit 30GH/s, the pictures josh took showed 24GH/s and 179 watts, which the power supplies can't handle, but stick 10 of those boards in a minirig, underclock them to 25% power, and boom, 60GH/s, 447 watts, and enough fans to keep it cool. All of those specs would be pretty much in line with what avalon has shown is possible, and the difference in power usage accounts for the difference in die size.

The number of chips, hashing power, power usage, unit size would all line up with reality. Granted, with the number of chips they have right now they could only make 25 units.

If they deliver this....

Ist fun and entertaining to see this happen. This is a story to tell my future kids witch i preordered when i was born!

Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1750

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:13:51 PM

More like:  McD's announce their new Mc Uni burger, a unicorn burger that is only 3 calories and only cost $1.00 and after its digested your farts smell like roses!  They pre sell the hell out of it, ten months later they only have half a unicorn available and they sub it for a couple of Big Macs...

Good god I hate when people us analogies, they are almost always ridiculously bad...

@PG, damn you to hell for mentioning Mc Ribs cause I freakin want one now (I would also settle for a Ribwich!)
Frizz23 (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:21:16 PM

All of those specs would be pretty much in line with what avalon has shown is possible, ...

I remember when Josh "Loudmouth" Zerlan / BFL was mocking Avalon because of their power consumption. And used BFL ASICs superior power consumption as a selling point. That they are much more future-proof and profitable in the long run ra ra ra ... bullshit.

Now as reality catches up with BFL (or vice versa), and their power consumption is almost the same as Avalons, it might be interesting what Josh has to say.

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:23:31 PM

Maybe they just ordered AVALONS and mounted them on their singes?

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:38:06 AM

Maybe they just ordered AVALONS and mounted them on their singes?

After sanding off the Avalon logo on the chips.

Buy & Hold
Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:51:03 AM

Dear Butterfly Labs,

10 month ago you started to take our pre order money. Since 10 month we are waiting for the ASICs that you still advertise all over the Internet:

http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/k9l5-1g-2838.jpg

I would like to offer my help and give you a quarter so that you can go and purchase a clue.

Here is my first clue. And it's for free: Clue #1 (hint: this is what you do before you go into mass production and produce tons of PCBs, boxes with fans and heatsinks that you can throw away afterwards).

Sincerely,
Frizz

I think it's time for BFL to update their advertising.

https://i.imgur.com/o6QHvEa.jpg
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:56:19 AM

Dear Butterfly Labs,

Sincerely,
Frizz

I think it's time for BFL to update their advertising.

LOL

You guys!!! Smiley

It's somewhat surprising that this band of crooks haven't been shut down by human authority figures yet.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: