Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:22:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I open up a local shop and sell bitcoins for cash?  (Read 4677 times)
plorph (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 05:52:21 AM

I'm wondering if I can open up a local shop and sell bitcoins for cash without paperwork or signing anything. Sure a bitcoin ATM can fulfill that role but as a shop I could do other things such as sell bitcoin merch etc, offer information on bitcoin and cryptos etc, but primarily I'm wondering if I can sell bitcoin for cash without hassling customers with paperwork. I suppose the laws would be the same for an ATM machine? which I haven't heard to be of a legal problem. I'd be considering doing this in Texas, USA, by the way. Any references or shared knowledge would be great, and I'm less interested in speculation. Thanks!

puh-lorph

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
philiveyjr
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 06:10:25 AM

You would probably need a license for it . One thing that I have extensively read from fellow traders in the US, is that its hard to sell bitcoins without the license.I also don't expect you would get a serious and completely accurate reply on btctalk, so would suggest asking a lawyer rregarding this.

super stars

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 06:26:30 AM

i think yes you can really do this as there is no restriction for trading in bitcoin.  i think it will really be a very very good decision through this way you can really promote bitcoin in your area, and in this way more and more people will invest their money in bitcoin.
plorph (OP)

Activity: 76
Merit: 14

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 06:55:26 AM

You would probably need a license for it . One thing that I have extensively read from fellow traders in the US, is that its hard to sell bitcoins without the license.I also don't expect you would get a serious and completely accurate reply on btctalk, so would suggest asking a lawyer rregarding this.

Right, do you have any idea where I could find lawyers knowledgable on bitcoin laws?

puh-lorph
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 07:15:58 AM

There would be a lot of money launderer flocking to your shop in that case. Although I'm one of those who prefer to buy BTC without paper works, I think a paper work would be best.

I'm just not sure if you can do it in the Philippines. You're also a Pinoy?

██████████ BitcoinCleanUp.comDebunking Bitcoin's Energy Use ██████████
██████████                Twitter#EndTheFUD                 ██████████
maydna

Activity: 2912
Merit: 556

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 08:43:28 AM

I'm wondering if I can open up a local shop and sell bitcoins for cash without paperwork or signing anything. Sure a bitcoin ATM can fulfill that role but as a shop I could do other things such as sell bitcoin merch etc, offer information on bitcoin and cryptos etc, but primarily I'm wondering if I can sell bitcoin for cash without hassling customers with paperwork. I suppose the laws would be the same for an ATM machine? which I haven't heard to be of a legal problem. I'd be considering doing this in Texas, USA, by the way. Any references or shared knowledge would be great, and I'm less interested in speculation. Thanks!

i think for first, you can make your own company and make your office for real so people can proof that you are real person that handle for local shop which are selling and buying bitcoin, don't forget to hire a lawyer if there is need in your country, and maybe you need to talk with bank government which handle regulator that you are making a company about bitcoin and ask them what is need to do this.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 11:51:05 AM

There would be a lot of money launderer flocking to your shop in that case.

Yup. You'd get hammered instantly.

I get the feeling Texas is a bit more crypto friendly than other states but that sounds like the essence of money transmitting and they'd be all over you. Lawyer yourself up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_transmitter

'In the legal code of the United States, a money transmitter or money transfer service is a business entity that provides money transfer services or payment instruments.'
jaweria khan

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2016, 06:46:33 PM

yes you can do it there is nothing wrong in it  think it will be really a very positive step toward promoting bitcoin.
Maesters1-

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 05:14:39 AM

to me it will be really appreciable if you really want to open a shop in your local area and sell bitcoins for cash, through this way you can really promote bitcoin and con convince more and  more people to start using bitcoin.
Clement Kaliyar

Activity: 1302
Merit: 532

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 12:37:50 PM

Unfortunately i would advice you aganist it since you are planning to opening a shop in texas , Texas has not considered bitcoin or any other crypto currency as legal money ,here is a feature regarding that Texas Banking Chief Issues Rules for Bitcoin this is an old feature and i dont know thing have changed right now. it is better to have a legal opinion regarding it.
Superbitzz

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 07:06:39 AM

yes no doubt about this, you can really do this, but if your government give you permission and secondly that if you think that there are good number of bitcoin users in your area, then you can really open a shop.
Vinz24

Activity: 182

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 01:13:11 PM

If your opening a shop to sell bitcoin I think you will need a permit for it. But if your a small time seller or you only sell small amount on your spare time and not opening a phisical shop, I think you can sell without need a permit for it.

Universat

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 09:05:58 PM

yes you can do that and it will be one of the most profitable business, you will collect a fixed amount from the customers as exchange services, and i usually convert my bitcoin using Urdu bit who easily exchange the bitcoin in t our fiat currency .
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 09:10:39 PM

The IRS will probably look at BTC as "property", while other forces in the Gov't will say you are dealing in "money".
Good luck, and please let us know how it works out.

LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2016, 09:17:48 PM

What about if he opens a shop outside of the united states and in a country that does not have any problems such for the ones that have been brought up.
Wapinter
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1026

Hire me for Bounty Management

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 10:08:59 PM

I dont think anyone would be interested to go to your shop to buy bitcoin when he/she can buy it online much easily and quickly.Bitcoin is not a physical commodity which people should examine before buying so going to shop to buy it is useless

LLec

Activity: 798
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2016, 02:43:53 AM

I dont think anyone would be interested to go to your shop to buy bitcoin when he/she can buy it online much easily and quickly.Bitcoin is not a physical commodity which people should examine before buying so going to shop to buy it is useless
Maybe this is why ATM machines for bitcoin have not really taken off either.
Bit if it is marketed correctly I believe it can turn out to be a successful business and very profitable.
ayesha sadiqa

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 06:34:23 PM

If your opening a shop to sell bitcoin I think you will need a permit for it. But if your a small time seller or you only sell small amount on your spare time and not opening a phisical shop, I think you can sell without need a permit for it.
but if bitcoin is not legal in an area then how can you get the permit for it from the government, in my area you can open a shop without taking any permission from the government. so i think it will be really appreciable if you start such kind of business, as it will be good for both you and for the customers.
CryptoDatabase
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1003

https://cryptodatabase.net

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2016, 06:40:59 PM

but if bitcoin is not legal in an area then how can you get the permit for it from the government, in my area you can open a shop without taking any permission from the government. so i think it will be really appreciable if you start such kind of business, as it will be good for both you and for the customers.

In the USA you need a money transmitter license for every state you operate in. A little bit of info, this license is roughly $1000 per state and if you don't have the license and get caught laundering money that's a prison sentence and one hell of a fine.
PacePay

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 10:28:28 PM

If bitcoin is allowed in your country then you can do that job easily without any difficulty but try to open that shop in that area where you feel that the number of bitcoin users are more higher.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: