Bitcoin Forum
November 19, 2017, 09:33:53 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I be sure a private key is working correctly?  (Read 654 times)
maxmint

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:16:21 PM

I'm currently trying to come up with a secure cold storage wallet. I have Armory running on an offline USB Stick that never touched the internet. I can create addresses there and send my funds to them. In case I need them I can get the private keys from Armory and import them into bitcoin-qt on my online system (I'm on a Mac and currently can't run Armory there).

So far so good, but how can I make sure the private keys are really working once I need them?
It might sound a little paranoid, but think of this scenario: I have 100 bitcoins in one of my offline addresses and wanna touch them a couple of months later. I try to import the private key and bitcoin-qt tells me "invalid private key" or something similar. It turns out that there was a bug in Armory and my coins are gone forever.

Of course, I could just import the key once into my online client to make sure it is working and then immediately sweep it. But that could expose it to a screenlogger.

Any solution for this?

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Join ICO Now Coinlancer is Disrupting the Freelance marketplace!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:19:54 PM

I'm currently trying to come up with a secure cold storage wallet. I have Armory running on an offline USB Stick that never touched the internet. I can create addresses there and send my funds to them. In case I need them I can get the private keys from Armory and import them into bitcoin-qt on my online system (I'm on a Mac and currently can't run Armory there).

So far so good, but how can I make sure the private keys are really working once I need them?
It might sound a little paranoid, but think of this scenario: I have 100 bitcoins in one of my offline addresses and wanna touch them a couple of months later. I try to import the private key and bitcoin-qt tells me "invalid private key" or something similar. It turns out that there was a bug in Armory and my coins are gone forever.

Of course, I could just import the key once into my online client to make sure it is working and then immediately sweep it. But that could expose it to a screenlogger.

Any solution for this?

Run Bitcoin-Qt in an offline computer and try importing the private key there?  If it generates the same bitcoin address as Armory did, then you can be pretty confident that they private/public keypair and address are all correct?

maxmint

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:20:53 PM

Any solution for this?

Run Bitcoin-Qt in an offline computer and try importing the private key there?  If it generates the same bitcoin address as Armory did, then you can be pretty confident that they private/public keypair and address are all correct?
Sometimes the answer is just too easy (or I'm just too dumb). Thanks.

My PGP-Key: 462D02D8
Verify my messages using keybase: https://keybase.io/maxmint
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.