Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:14:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SC5 founds a Bitcoin Bank  (Read 3581 times)
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:17:28 PM

So long as the community around bitcoin is only interested in denominating the value of their goods/services/investments in USD instead of BTC bitcoin will remain a penny stock and have no chance of becoming a currency. The deflationary nature is a very bad thing for a currency to have and you are all slowly seeing why (while still not connecting the dots and continuing to think bitcoin will actually be a world currency one day). You're so close to getting it.

You tend to forget that bitcoin is really really young and little in capitalization, hence, it is unstable.
It will stabilize over the years and then it will be more easy to use for a greater variety of day to day transactions.

Gold is deflationary but nobody sees gold as bad!!  Roll Eyes
The gold standard was abandoned for a reason?

Yes, of course. Goverments and bankers couldn't confiscate people's belongings via inflation. Don't you agree?
Inflation exists to insure an active economy and is not only a good thing but is entirely necessary for a functioning currency/economy based off of that currency. Out of control inflation can be bad but if your currency gets to pick one nature and your choices are inflation or deflation then the choice is obvious to anyone who doesn't have more conspiracy theories and paranoia than sense. Have you ever taken an economics class or read a paper or book in your entire life?

LOL. You swallowed your government propaganda like a good little schoolboy I can see. If the mainstream understood economics they'd stop being perpetually surprised at every development.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:21:04 PM

Can someone explain to me what the use of a bitcoin bank might be?

I mean, why would I want to deposit my bitcoins with a bank if bitcoins don't really exist anywhere else except in the blockchain which is more like a public general ledger.

I would have to trust them with my private key, which, to me, is rather decreasing security.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:21:39 PM

I mean, why would I would to deposit my bitcoins with a bank if bitcoins don't really exist anywhere else except in the blockchain which is more like a public general ledger.

I would have to trust them with my private key, which, to me, is rather decreasing security.

To make interest while they loan out your coins, at least according to the press release. They promise a '100% transparent bank' where you will see at all times the amount of funds available in the bank and funds currently loaned out. I see it getting hacked into oblivion or only available to their employees.
Mosper

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:24:03 PM

So long as the community around bitcoin is only interested in denominating the value of their goods/services/investments in USD instead of BTC bitcoin will remain a penny stock and have no chance of becoming a currency. The deflationary nature is a very bad thing for a currency to have and you are all slowly seeing why (while still not connecting the dots and continuing to think bitcoin will actually be a world currency one day). You're so close to getting it.

You tend to forget that bitcoin is really really young and little in capitalization, hence, it is unstable.
It will stabilize over the years and then it will be more easy to use for a greater variety of day to day transactions.

Gold is deflationary but nobody sees gold as bad!!  Roll Eyes
The gold standard was abandoned for a reason?

Yes, of course. Goverments and bankers couldn't confiscate people's belongings via inflation. Don't you agree?
Inflation exists to insure an active economy and is not only a good thing but is entirely necessary for a functioning currency/economy based off of that currency. Out of control inflation can be bad but if your currency gets to pick one nature and your choices are inflation or deflation then the choice is obvious to anyone who doesn't have more conspiracy theories and paranoia than sense. Have you ever taken an economics class or read a paper or book in your entire life?

LOL. You swallowed your government propaganda like a good little schoolboy I can see. If the mainstream understood economics they'd stop being perpetually surprised at every development.
I don't have to swallow anything because I can read and infer things for myself as I have a functioning reasoning center in my brain. It's unfortunate that you suffer from the tragic libertarian syndrome. Your entire point of view is basically economic slave morality. It's hilarious.

Me? I'm just the cynical voice floating in the sea of unchecked optimism.
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:25:43 PM

I mean, why would I would to deposit my bitcoins with a bank if bitcoins don't really exist anywhere else except in the blockchain which is more like a public general ledger.

To make interest while they loan out your coins, at least according to the press release.

This assumes that bitcoin reaches stability, else, this interest would come from borrowers who would have to face huge bitcoin value increases + interest.
Who would get a loan like that before bitcoin stability for the bank to make profit and me to get this interest?

And what about the risk? We are suffering from banks overlending our deposits. Look at Cyprus!
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:28:01 PM

To make interest while they loan out your coins, at least according to the press release.

This assumes that bitcoin reaches stability, else, this interest would come from borrowers who would have to face huge bitcoin value increases + interest.
Who would get a loan like that before bitcoin stability for the bank to make profit and me to get this interest?

And what about the risk? We are suffering from banks overlending our deposits. Look at Cyprus!

Businesses that get paid in bitcoin?
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:30:05 PM

Read the press release:

Built-in autonomous mechanism for preventing the next bank crisis

The open books resulting from the 100% transparency promise mean that the customers can monitor the health of the bank in realtime. This in turn leads to an autonomous control mechanism. If the bank’s customers at any time regard the bank’s financial health to be below a trustworthy level, they will withdraw their money and the bank will collapse. As a result for the bank to keep on creating shareholder value it needs to stay healthy at all times.

100% transparency promise

All loans granted using the customers’ savings are directly transmitted from the customer Bitcoin accounts to the borrower account. You as a customer know exactly how much of your money is currently lent out.

hmm.. and I guess they will take foreign deposits though I don't know how this is possible with existing banking laws, unless of course this is an April fools joke
April’s special deal: All money moved from Cyprus will be guaranteed a positive interest for lifetime.

solomon

Activity: 120

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:30:18 PM

Cool stories bros.

Can we confirm/deny the validity of the title of this thread?

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:33:49 PM

Businesses that get paid in bitcoin?

I suppose that's one case, probably the only one. Thanks
nathanghart

Activity: 195

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:34:46 PM

Pays interest on Bitcoin savings

my skin just jumped off my body and hid under my desk....
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:41:07 PM

Omg, it will be decades before the banks get their heads around open and freely auditable books with all the money accounted for Smiley

Grin
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 09:48:24 PM

In a free market, that means also in a free currency market, there is no such thing as an inflationary currency or a deflationary currency.

Because there is no currency that will be regulated top-down. We're largely only familiar to planned monetary systems.

In actuality, the differences between currency, commodity, and asset would dissolve.

Once the demand for bitcoins has largely satisfied, it will have to compete with any other asset out there.

It will stop acting deflationary when there are better stocks to invest in. People will put their money there then.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:57:08 PM

Let's imagine a bank in a bitcoin environment, meaning the bank and its peers (depositors and debtors) only operate in bitcoin. The roles of the bank would be:

1) A helpdesk for users that need technical help
2) Loan bitcoins to others.

But what happens when a debtor defaults on their loan? Since bitcoins can't be generated out of thin air, either the bank or the depositors take the hit. In essence, the bank becomes a place to risk one's bitcoins rather than a safe haven like the wallet already is. It doesn't really matter that their books are public, someone is going to default anyway at some point. Correct? Wrong? What do you think?
alexeft
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:23:33 PM

Hmmmm, it sounds good.

Still, when a loan would be given, actual bitcoins would have to be taken out of the depositors' accounts for the debtor to have them in his own account, unlike the current status quo of fractional reserve banking where depositors and debtors all have all their money in their accounts.

Does that work?
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:40:03 AM

Hmmmm, it sounds good.

Still, when a loan would be given, actual bitcoins would have to be taken out of the depositors' accounts for the debtor to have them in his own account, unlike the current status quo of fractional reserve banking where depositors and debtors all have all their money in their accounts.

Does that work?

I would think the depositors need to be confident that the bank can vet lendees successfully. It could work, pretty cutting edge though.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: