Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:22:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The ones who didn't listen.  (Read 619 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:08:23 PM

I've told quite a few people about bitcoin. I knew it was going to make a paradigm shift in the way payments are conducted online, and that it was going to be huge. Few people bothered to listen, even after the current growth, both in services and price increase, a lot of people seems to be totally unimpressed. One day it will be a normal thing to pay with btc, or a cryptocurrency that will overtake it. I'm sad for those not seeing the opportunity, both to invest, and to get 'early' in on something great like bitcoin. It's still early doors, and there will still be profits for those interested.

It's incredible though - how some people just doesn't seem to get it. Bitcoin is huge, it's beautiful, it's fantastic. It's the beauty of the free market. Banks and govts stealing money ? Banks operating in an old fashioned way ? The market has a solution - bitcoin.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:02:21 PM

I've told quite a few people about bitcoin. I knew it was going to make a paradigm shift in the way payments are conducted online, and that it was going to be huge. Few people bothered to listen, even after the current growth, both in services and price increase, a lot of people seems to be totally unimpressed. One day it will be a normal thing to pay with btc, or a cryptocurrency that will overtake it. I'm sad for those not seeing the opportunity, both to invest, and to get 'early' in on something great like bitcoin. It's still early doors, and there will still be profits for those interested.

It's incredible though - how some people just doesn't seem to get it. Bitcoin is huge, it's beautiful, it's fantastic. It's the beauty of the free market. Banks and govts stealing money ? Banks operating in an old fashioned way ? The market has a solution - bitcoin.

For the past 2 years I tried many times to get every single one of my tech-savy friends to buy some BTC.  All of them manifested interest in conversation, but there was never any follow through.  Similar thing happened with precious metals in the early 00s.

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.  I have no animosity towards anyone who ignored my advice, but I also won't feel sad for people who basically had the greatest investment opportunity of their lives handed to them on a silver platter and couldn't be bothered to research it seriously.  Trace Mayer had the perfect quote in today's article: luck is when preparation meets opportunity.  Those without intellectual curiosity, are inevitably destined to lives of mediocrity, and none of us can really change that.

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:07:58 PM

Trace Mayer had the perfect quote in today's article: luck is when preparation meets opportunity. Those without intellectual curiosity, are inevitably destined to lives of mediocrity, and none of us can really change that.

On that note, a great source of philosophy in one movie:

Neo:  You helped me get here, but my question is "why." Where is this going? [Where] does it end?

Oracle:  I don't know.

Neo:  You don't know, or you won't tell me?

Oracle:  I told you before, no one can see beyond a choice they don't understand. And I mean no one.

Neo:  What choice?

Oracle:  It doesn't matter. It's my choice. I have mine to make, same as you have yours.

Neo:  Does that include what things to tell me and what not to tell me?

Oracle:  Of course not.

Neo:  Then why didn't you tell me about the Architect? Why didn't you tell me about Zion and the Ones before me? Why didn't you tell me the truth?

Oracle:  Because it wasn't time for you to know.

Neo:  Who decided it wasn't time?

Oracle:  You know who. (She indicates the sign over the doorway, which reads "Temet Nosce," Latin for "Know Thyself.")

Neo:  Right.

Most people are not ready for the information. The only thing left is to lead by example.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:10:48 PM

I told a friend of mine about it in summer 2011.  Not long afterward, he built a computer with 2x 6990's and mined nonstop (and is still mining on the same machine).  He never sold or used a single one, just held them all.  He's got 225 BTC now... worth $26,012.25.

Those $600 6990's were a good investment.  Cheesy

I'm glad I was able to get at least one of my friends to listen to me!
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:13:32 PM

I told a friend about Bitcoin early 2012 and offered him 5 BTC to get started with. He wouldn't take them. He then kept on about that he should have bought Apple stocks and have 15X return on the investment today. He did install a wallet.

Funny thing is that he was a former partner and programmer in a small company that developed Algo bots and trading platforms for several major banks.

On second thought, he might have invested in Bitcoin on my suggestion, he is just better at not rambling right and left about it Smiley
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:20:52 PM

I told a friend of mine about it in summer 2011.  Not long afterward, he built a computer with 2x 6990's and mined nonstop (and is still mining on the same machine).  He never sold or used a single one, just held them all.  He's got 225 BTC now... worth $26,012.25.

Great. Now, the interesting part for me is: Why did he not sell any bitcoins ? Did he anticipate them to grow in value in the future, or didn't he really not need the money, so he just went with the wind to see how it went ?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:29:59 PM

Great. Now, the interesting part for me is: Why did he not sell any bitcoins ? Did he anticipate them to grow in value in the future, or didn't he really not need the money, so he just went with the wind to see how it went ?
Now that, I really don't know.  He's been unemployed for almost that entire length of time as well, surviving on various contract side jobs.  It's not like he couldn't use the money, it's just that he didn't ever sell any.  *shrug*  He even kept them all on deepbit until I convinced him to move them away a few weeks back.
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:09:32 PM

As they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. [...] Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.  Those without intellectual curiosity, are inevitably destined to lives of mediocrity, and none of us can really change that.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded to think back to all the people far smarter and more tech savvy than I who knew about bitcoin, or who I tried to explain it to, that just didn't care enough to do anything.

I'd like to think they just couldn't afford the financial risk, or were really busy with life and work, but some of them, bitcoin was almost tailored to catch their attention, but it just didn't click.

It was like trying to teach a pig to sing...
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:10:10 PM

Now that, I really don't know.  He's been unemployed for almost that entire length of time as well, surviving on various contract side jobs.  It's not like he couldn't use the money, it's just that he didn't ever sell any.  *shrug*  He even kept them all on deepbit until I convinced him to move them away a few weeks back.

At least I know hope he knows how much it's worth ? And I guess he does not complain ? ;=) Is he planning on cashing out a little bit soon - perhaps buying something new for himself?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:29:17 PM

At least I know hope he knows how much it's worth ? And I guess he does not complain ? ;=) Is he planning on cashing out a little bit soon - perhaps buying something new for himself?
Yes, he absolutely does.  When BTC started it's move up from $15 or so, we both started watching the price more intently, giving each other updates to make sure the other knew how much his stash was worth now.  No complaints!  And he hasn't mentioned anything about cashing out soon.... yet.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 11:39:58 PM

...luck is when preparation meets opportunity...

I first heard these words back in the early 80's, and have shared the exact phrase 100's of times since.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 11:56:52 PM

And when Gage meets barn wood!

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 12:17:03 AM

And when Gage meets barn wood!

I should make this one for Josh.

And to stay on topic:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: