Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 03:14:07 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sent bitcoin to wrong address and currently 0 confirmations  (Read 1110 times)
justdatguy (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:41:47 AM

Hey guys,
So i mistakenly sent my bitcoins to a wrong address.

Lets say the intended address is: 1D3kVrgh71gCFaQerj2eZUboSPeQdwTUQH

I missed out the H at the end and send it to: 1D3kVrgh71gCFaQerj2eZUboSPeQdwTUQ

My wallet currently says 0 confirmations after 4 hours.. is there anything i can do?

Thanks in advance!
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 12:44:02 AM

Hey guys,

My wallet currently says 0 confirmations after 4 hours.. is there anything i can do?

Thanks in advance!
Your wallet is broken. It should not allow you to send to the address with a character missing because that is not a valid address. It is invalid, the transaction is invalid, which is why the transaction is not confirmed.

What wallet are you using?

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 12:47:54 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

The odds of the address missing a character passing the validation checksum check are pretty small. What wallet are you using? Can you provide the addresses?

Does the transaction show up anywhere else? What were the fees?

See e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1026.0
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 3020

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 12:57:58 AM

I could not check the address 1D3kVrgh71gCFaQerj2eZUboSPeQdwTUQ in some block explorer but according to this explorer
http://blockr.io/address/info/1D3kVrgh71gCFaQerj2eZUboSPeQdwTUQ
There still no transaction made or receiving transaction.. i think it can be still reverse once if its not receive any confirmation..
Can you provide the address if where the bitcoin from?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 01:10:51 AM

The odds of the address missing a character passing the validation checksum check are pretty small. What wallet are you using? Can you provide the addresses?

Does the transaction show up anywhere else? What were the fees?

See e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1026.0
I could not check the address 1D3kVrgh71gCFaQerj2eZUboSPeQdwTUQ in some block explorer but according to this explorer
http://blockr.io/address/info/1D3kVrgh71gCFaQerj2eZUboSPeQdwTUQ
There still no transaction made or receiving transaction.. i think it can be still reverse once if its not receive any confirmation..
Can you provide the address if where the bitcoin from?
The address is completely and absolutely invalid. If the transaction even exists, then the address will not be the one he thinks it is.

What is the txid of the transaction?

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 03:25:33 AM
Last edit: October 18, 2016, 04:37:50 AM by Foxpup

The address is completely and absolutely invalid. If the transaction even exists, then the address will not be the one he thinks it is.
Not necessarily. Since only the checksum was affected, it's likely the wallet decoded the public key hash correctly (in which case the transaction is valid and sent the coins to correct address despite the typo), but without checking the checksum at all. Other sorts of typos will not be so fortuitous, and are very likely to lose money. The wallet is not just broken, it's criminally incompetent and the developers should be beaten with rusty chains.

EDIT: Never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
achow101
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 03:44:02 AM

Not necessarily. Since only the checksum was affected, it's likely the wallet decoded the public key hash correctly (in which case the transaction is valid and sent the coins to correct address despite the typo), but without checking the checksum at all. Other sorts of typos will not be so fortuitous, and are very likely to lose money. The wallet is not just broken, it's criminally incompetent and the developers should be beaten with rusty chains.
No, not only the checksum is affected. The entire pubkeyhash is completely different without that character. Try it yourself with https://gobittest.appspot.com/Address

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 04:35:18 AM

No, not only the checksum is affected. The entire pubkeyhash is completely different without that character. Try it yourself with https://gobittest.appspot.com/Address
D'oh! Yes, you're right. I don't know how I got so confused about how base58 works. I blame insufficient caffeine.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4669

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 11:15:48 AM

D'oh! Yes, you're right. I don't know how I got so confused about how base58 works. I blame insufficient caffeine.

Yep.

If he'd have replaced a character with a different character, then perhaps the pubKeyHash might have stayed the same (depending on which character position was replaced), but if you remove the final character, you are essentially dividing the entire integer by 58 (right shifting a base 58 integer on base58 position).  This results in a completely different integer, and therefore a completely different pubKeyHash when you convert that integer to bytes and remove the version and last 4 bytes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: