Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:17:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox Account got Hacked Today  (Read 2813 times)
jbmiller10 (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:44:21 PM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 01:16:22 AM by jbmiller10

I don't really know why I'm posting this, but my Mt. Gox account got hacked today, lost ~8K USD, absolutely devastated, as it was most of my money for college. Be careful. I assume there's no recourse for this?

Fuck my life. Be careful, people.

I go by threestar most places.
Join us in the Digitalcoin Chatroom!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Targus Targus

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:45:34 PM

You're like the third guy here alone to be hacked recently. I think the attacks have begun in force.
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 11:03:02 PM

You don't just get **Hacked**!

Your sec is only as good as the weakest link, and it's waaaay more likely that someone you know actually just got your pc unlocked.

ALSO!

MtGox is a legal entity, if you did get hacked, you are more then welcome to get the police to request the details to which your money was sent, MtGox at it's discretion may choose to comply.
jbmiller10 (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:11:45 PM

Nope, I had my computer with me all the while this went down, and no one's used my computer.
I imagine someone bruteforced my password. It was all withdrawn in Bitcoin, so I have no delusions that I'll be able to track down the person that did it. That's kind of the point of bitcoin I suppose.

I don't really know why I posted this thread. It's just shitty. I'm devastated and needed to vent. Sorry for taking up space. Use complex passwords, people. Don't make the mistake I did.

Also, Mt. Gox needs to use a captcha. Really. Other people don't need to go through what I've gone through.

Mr. E

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:14:27 PM

Use very strong passwords anywhere where money is involved online, and DON'T use the same password at multiple sites.

Agreed, so many people underestimate the power of the password.  To make one really secure, use special characters like #, !, &... that
makes it real hard to crack.  Also use upper/lowercase and alpha/numeric.
tokn

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:21:03 PM

Use very strong passwords anywhere where money is involved online, and DON'T use the same password at multiple sites.

Agreed, so many people underestimate the power of the password.  To make one really secure, use special characters like #, !, &... that
makes it real hard to crack.  Also use upper/lowercase and alpha/numeric.

While I whole heartedly agree that a strong password is a must, but don't stop there.  Ensure you take other security measurements on your system as well: Up to date antivirus, scan pcs for malware/spyware, patch your systems.  And if you have questionable browsing habbits, then make sure you use a different system (if available) for that.

I'm sorry for your loss, hopefully there are some recourse with the vendor.

I know how you must be feeling to have something taken from you.  I once had my poker account broken into and they used up all my funds, while not to your amount, but I still felt violated.
yoake

Activity: 20

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:24:48 PM

You guys warning him about how to guard his own PC, seem to be assuming that Mt. Gox itself is 100% secure.
Targus Targus

Activity: 22

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:27:44 PM

There needs to be a full investigation on every employee there to ensure they are not members of the financial terrorist groups that have been assaulting Bitcoins.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:28:30 PM

Yes, whatever you do don't use the same userid/password that you use for your pools, no matter how strong the password is!

The pools are under constant attack, and if you connect to many pools could you really trust each and everyone of the operators? There are only a few places where you can cash out your Bitcoins and it doesn't take much for someone who obtains your pool login to try to see if it also works on Mt Gox or Trade Hill.

ddod

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:31:37 PM

So from you statements, is it safe to assume that your password was not a very good one?
tokn

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:24:51 AM

You guys warning him about how to guard his own PC, seem to be assuming that Mt. Gox itself is 100% secure.

No one entity is ever 100% secure.  But based on the OP's post, he mentioned that to use strong passwords and don't make his mistake, meaning its was probably not a strong password.  So a hacker could have easily brute force or dictionary attacked his password.
meighty

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 12:30:47 AM

Use strong passwords. Change them on a regular basis. Transfer BTC out on a regular basis. Hope that sites start to use reCaptcha.
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:34:23 AM

I don't really know why I'm posting this, but my Mt. Gox account got hacked today, lost 8K USD, absolutely devastated, as it was my money for college. Be careful. I assume there's no recourse for this?

How is this possible, when the withdrawal limit is $1000?

NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:36:30 AM

I don't really know why I'm posting this, but my Mt. Gox account got hacked today, lost 8K USD, absolutely devastated, as it was my money for college. Be careful. I assume there's no recourse for this?

Estimated worth of BTC in USD?

md2k7

Activity: 16

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:37:10 AM

Hope that sites start to use reCaptcha.

Fun that people still think CAPTCHA, especially reCaptcha - which is extremely widely used - is any good against bots. I have a small personal website with a simple comment form secured by reCaptcha. One or two spam entries per week. Don't tell me some Chinese guy is being forced to solve them, because posting spam on a website without any traffic doesn't generate profits. That leaves bots solving them. Welcome the 21st century's image recognition.

Yours
David
Vanquistador

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:43:39 AM

Hope that sites start to use reCaptcha.

Fun that people still think CAPTCHA, especially reCaptcha - which is extremely widely used - is any good against bots. I have a small personal website with a simple comment form secured by reCaptcha. One or two spam entries per week. Don't tell me some Chinese guy is being forced to solve them, because posting spam on a website without any traffic doesn't generate profits. That leaves bots solving them. Welcome the 21st century's image recognition.

Yours
David

I remember using bots that would work around CAPTCHA when I was a little kid playing neopets.
jbmiller10 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:48:17 AM

So from you statements, is it safe to assume that your password was not a very good one?

It was a reasonably secure alphanumeric pass (or so I thought, at least), but I admittedly used it on more than one website.

Don't be naive about your password security, I guess is the moral of the story.

It's not fun.

haydent

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:57:24 AM

thanks for the heads up, something we all need to keep in mind. possible MTGox needs a third security number like internet banking often do. something you choose but its on top of your password and therefore not used widely across the internet already by you.

2x Gigabyte 6950 OC @ 920/450 w/ ati tray tools (1 shader modded) - 760Mhs on ozco.in 0% fee aus pool
btc: 1HS5Brzcsh7XkJn566XYbvfpa2JuBRBdss
Alex Beckenham

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:12:15 AM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I mean, how can someone steal $8000 worth of coins in one day? They could withdraw $1000 of them due to Mt Gox withdrawal limit, then you could contact Mt Gox admin to retrieve the remaining $7000 worth in the theif's account.

jbmiller10 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:15:07 AM

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

I mean, how can someone steal $8000 worth of coins in one day? They could withdraw $1000 of them due to Mt Gox withdrawal limit, then you could contact Mt Gox admin to retrieve the remaining $7000 worth in the theif's account.

The limit is for dwolla/lr/euro withdrawals, I guess. You can take out as many bitcoins as you want at any time.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: