Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:34:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How big is the mining world?  (Read 701 times)
fortyfoursixteen (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 18, 2016, 02:41:21 PM

Hi there!

We're a video production company in the UK ( http://www.44-16.com ). I'm considering starting up some kind of documentary project about mining, and am doing a bit of preliminary research. How many people do you think take part in mining in the UK? And how many of them are serious investors?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Herbet Fry

Activity: 812
Merit: 253

●Social Crypto Trading●

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2016, 11:46:16 PM

Hi there!

We're a video production company in the UK ( http://www.44-16.com ). I'm considering starting up some kind of documentary project about mining, and am doing a bit of preliminary research. How many people do you think take part in mining in the UK? And how many of them are serious investors?

Thanks!

The thing is the power in the UK is costly compared to others I still think there miners though you mist open a few topics in a few more places on the forum and ask around. 

mwizard

Activity: 203
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 12:08:21 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2016, 12:30:24 AM by mwizard

Hi there!

Thanks!

Mining requires cheap electricity.  Most large scale mining occurs in areas with surplus hydro electricity.  Think western China, Washington state in USA, Georgia or parts of Canada.

Any mining in the UK would be very small scale by hobbyists or people with free electricity (renters of apartments and so on).  UK is not likely to be considered by serious mining investors.  

For Bitcoin, serious investors are after bulk electricity at under 4 cents per kWh.  This normally means near a hydro dam with surplus power.

DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 04:40:25 AM

Hi there!

Thanks!

As noted above the miners you would find in the UK are most likely those who are using limited amounts of "free" power (ie included in rent) and are on a hobbyist level of scale - the setups, cooling, and equipment are different from large farms in other counties.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 05:38:06 AM

Mining requires cheap electricity.  Most large scale mining occurs in areas with surplus hydro electricity.  Think western China, Washington state in USA, Georgia or parts of Canada.

Any mining in the UK would be very small scale by hobbyists or people with free electricity (renters of apartments and so on).  UK is not likely to be considered by serious mining investors.  

For Bitcoin, serious investors are after bulk electricity at under 4 cents per kWh.  This normally means near a hydro dam with surplus power.

You CAN mine without cheap electric.

You are going to be hard put to mine PROFITABLY for very long without it, and if you want to ever earn your money back on the mining gear you buy you better have VERY cheap electric or cheap electric and got one heck of a good deal on used gear (or price-war gear).

I doubt there are ANY large farms in the UK, and not a lot of miners in general.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
J Gambler

Activity: 910
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 02:21:32 PM

Hi there!

Thanks!
Some off are really cool and just don't believe that some has a big mining in the world  but is the electricity there are very cheap to run a big miner and there are going to be very hard miner and it will really be a profitable? without maintening it? ithink we need cheap electricity to run a hardware. and to get back what we spend.

Y U MAD AT ME
GreatNorthData

Activity: 105
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2016, 09:12:21 PM

Hi there!

Thanks!

There's a direct from London to our province (NL) in Canada, 3 and a half hours to St. John's and 2 hours (ish) from there to our mines in Labrador.

Lowest-Cost Miner Hosting:  greatnorthdata.com
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 10:28:27 PM

what type of documentary do you want to make?

like others have said, I don't think there'll be any serious mining left in the uk or anywhere else in western Europe any more. if you want the big dramatic shots of humming warehouses then you'd have to look further afield.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: