Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:29:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the biggest mistakes you've done with Bitcoin?  (Read 18081 times)
doobadoo

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:08:13 AM

Paid a hooker from addresses that had lots of Satoshi Dice Dust in it without a fee.  Took so long to confirm i fell asleep.  Hooker stole my car!  Woke up with blue balls.

"It is, quite honestly, the biggest challenge to central banking since Andrew Jackson." -evoorhees
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:10:11 AM

Paid a hooker from addresses that had lots of Satoshi Dice Dust in it without a fee.  Took so long to confirm i fell asleep.  Hooker stole my car!  Woke up with blue balls.

Signature space available for rent.
Dr.Steve

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:22:03 AM

got ripped off for a product that never arrived.
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336

yung lean

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:57:06 AM

used 120 btc to pay my phone bill back when they were 75 cents.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:59:36 AM

Cashed out all my casascius coins (50 BTC worth) at $27 to pay some debts.

WikileaksDude

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:10:58 AM

some debts..

sent 45BTC to an anonymous mixer on TOR.. they never returned
mpfrank

Activity: 247

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:12:13 AM

Accidentally received coins from a friend to a bit-bill in my (physical, leather, back-pocket) wallet whose private key I had previously posted on my blog as an example.  The coins got swept after only 1 or 2 confirmations.  Fortunately it was only lunch money (although someday it might be worth a few solar systems).

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:13:56 AM

some debts..

sent 45BTC to an anonymous mixer on TOR.. they never returned

Ouch. Was it a well known one?

goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:41:30 AM

Lost 7,4 BTC to a thief. I was stupid enough to keep a hot wallet in a windows machine.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Turbo1980

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 02:43:16 AM

Discover Bitcoin Two years later  Sad
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:01:17 AM

Lost 7,4 BTC to a thief. I was stupid enough to keep a hot wallet in a windows machine.

How exactly was the machine hacked?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:28:55 AM

I am still unable to figure it out. I have installed an antivirus (avast) but it found no trojans yet. The BTC was stolen yesterday, I think the wallet might have been purloined sometime last month.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 04:24:35 AM

Purchasing a BFL with bitcoin early.  If I make back 30% of what I paid for it I'll be happy.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:30:13 AM

1) leaving some btc in instawallet.  no word yet from them on how serious their security breach was and if our coins are safe.  that might end up being a mistake for me, hopefully not though.

2) thinking i knew how to day trade. luckily i only lost a very small amount but the constant small loses made me realize i dont know enough to be playing that game

3) thinking bitcoin was really awesome 3 years ago but never jumping on board until recently. that one really hurts.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
notig

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:37:48 AM

I bought a butter fly labs single for 1333 instead of buying 1333 worth of bitcoin  (at the time btc price = $15)
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:46:17 AM

I am still unable to figure it out. I have installed an antivirus (avast) but it found no trojans yet. The BTC was stolen yesterday, I think the wallet might have been purloined sometime last month.
Why do you think it was stolen last month? Was it an encrypted wallet?

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:53:11 AM

Lost 25 BTC by sending to what I thought was my instawallet... But it wasn't. Instawallet is just a bit richer because of my stupidity.

Lost 20 BTC by sending to what I always considered to be ~davout's wallet...like every instawallet.  Hoped he and his had the skill to keep them from getting stolen (what with his mainstream bank operation and all) and the integrity to not steal them himself.  But hope is well known to be a lousy strategy.  I hope now that he can get them back on-line and under my control.  If not, I never relinquish control of more BTC than I can afford to lose and chuckle about a bit in the process.

The 50-ish BTC I sent to my instawallet as pocket change were worth about $150 worth when I put them there, and it has been quite convenient over the 1.5 years.  The 40-ish remaining suddenly became worth more than I wanted to chuckle about losing so I sent half to Mt. Gox a few days ago.  Lucky timing.

Instawallet made it a point to advertise as being for spending money and had only modest security.  That was front and center on page...or at least it was at one time.  I've go no complaints about losing it, but ~davout and crew need to accept their black-eye like men if they end up losing these funds.  He is not shy about calling others out for being clowns.  OTOH, I've not seen much from him lately so he is probably either really busy...or retired comfortably in the Bahamas.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:54:41 AM

Played satoshidice
boscorocks

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:03:40 AM

Your mistake and mine the same. I didn't find your transaction on the address mine went to (thought it might be related). There are two other people who had 9+ BTC go there. I was being lazy/distracted about putting my BTC on an offline computer BIG MISTAKE - take heed all ye noobs!
Parazyd

Activity: 812
Merit: 587

Space Lord

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 06:07:31 AM

Selling at $30 and not mining when Bitcoin was just introduced.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: