Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:01:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: funding request - guerilla coin  (Read 2260 times)
wormbog (OP)

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:00:35 AM

I've been frustrated with the lack of bitcoin interest in my hometown. So I've cooked up a plan to introduce bitcoin to the locals and I'm seeking some donations to put my plan into effect. Here's how it works:

First I get a bundle of cheap, brightly colored, and relatively weatherproof flash drives. I like these little guys:

https://www.bitcoinstore.com/4gb-clip-it-97563-flash-drive-3-pack.html

Each drive gets a bitcoin sticker. And each drive is completely blank except for a text file inviting the holder of the drive to read it to claim their reward. Once prepared, I'll place each drive in places where they're likely to be found by curious people - coffee shops, local university hangouts, etc.

The file contains a brief description of what bitcoin is and why it's important both socially, economically, and politically. I'll include various web links throughout the text to provide more details for those who want to learn more about a particular topic.

Next the file displays a public and private key pair, and explains that the private key contains .05 bitcoins, worth a bit more than $5 at the time of writing. A link to bitcoinity invites the reader to discover how much those coins are worth right now. A link to the public key on blockchain.info can be offered so the reader can confirm the balance.

Next the text explains that the reader first needs a wallet, then must add the private key to the wallet to access the funds. I'll offer links to a variety of wallet services (satoshi client, a light client, and a blockchain.info online wallet). I'll include instructions for importing the private key into the various clients.

Now that they've claimed the bitcoins, what can be done with them? I'll provide a link to the bitcoin vendors page in the wiki, and suggest bitcoinstore.com is a good place to start. Or they can hold on and see what happens with the exchange rate. Since bitcoin is a deflationary currency, holding the coins for a while might be a good idea.

Lastly, I'll invite the finder to learn more about bitcoin mining and the various options for getting more bitcoins if they're so inclined.

As a closer, I'll invite the finder to send me an anonymous message telling me that they claimed their coins via bitmessage. And I'll suggest that if they find that learning about bitcoins has changed their life for the better, then can send a donation which will be used to send out more drives.

And a final warning - the bitcoins on the drive will disappear by a certain date, so if you don't care to redeem them, give the drive to a tech-minded friend, or put it out for someone else to find.

I'll keep track of the public keys to see who's redeemed their coins, and accounts that are not accessed by the deadline will be swept clean (since I've also got a copy of the private key).

I know I would have LOVED to find something like this on the street before I knew about bitcoin. I'll bet learning about bitcoin with the goal of redeeming some spendable money will motivate a few people to get more involved, and hopefully spread the word.

So - if anyone would like to donate some bitcoins to this project, please sent them to:

1btc9HRDqhxYJcWHVdeCrMdzxg76u42at

I hope to get enough to buy 9 flash drives (3x 3-packs) and put .05 to .10 btc on each one... enough to buy something once the key has been imported.

...or, anyone else is welcome to execute this idea in your own town. Spread the word!

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zeilap

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:42:42 AM

It's a shame you didn't think of this earlier, you could have advertised it as like an alternative Easter egg hunt Smiley.

Your message seems a little bit too long and complex to keep people interested IMO. I think you could cut down a lot of the required reading and understanding by sending coins to a bunch of instawallet or similar addresses and then you only need to provide the link to that and avoid all the nastiness of public and private keys. Also, I'd start the text with something like 'Congratulations! You just found 0.1 BTC, worth $10 as of April 3rd', rather than a description of what bitcoin is.
wormbog (OP)

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 11:39:51 PM

Good ideas. I had been thinking of writing copy that would appeal to your average math nerd, but we're a small subset of the population. I'll write for the "average" non-technical person.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: