Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:30:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and the million dollar page  (Read 2303 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:45:46 AM

Here's an interesting story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

In short it was a a student having the idea of raising money for his education. He made a 'silly' website, selling pixel adds to make money.

But it went viral, and his goal of making 1 million dollars was quickly reached.

Here's his page:
http://milliondollarhomepage.com/

Why was it such an astounding success ? Because all news media picked up on it, and he was invited to all shows on TV, and then of course, when others saw this, they wanted to invite him and interview him too, so it was the snowball effect.

That's what we're seeing with bitcoin now too. I think bitcoin is a far far better idea than that 'silly' homepage, but it only goes to prove how much attention you get when you have something spectacular and the interest and attention just grows.

Bitcoin reached a 1 billion dollar market cap, which made people start to talk, and it gets attention on TV and in other media, and the price is raising, creating more attention, and more attention is creating more price increases and so on.

That's why I think we can see 200 before we know it. At this point, I don't see the interest stopping at all, quite the contrary, I see a very strong interest for bitcoin over all. Also the fact that BitcoinStore sold for half a million dollars so far, goes to prove that bitcoin is not only used for a speculatory vehicle.

Maybe this would be more suitable in speculation - but I don't think it's only the monetary value at play here, but also the political view, which would be more suitable for this main forum. As much as some of you may not like speculators, the fact is that increased price makes for more attention, which again will make for more merchants and more users.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:48:13 AM

OK, so now we need a million dollar bitcoin page. IIRC this has been done a couple years ago.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:50:22 AM

OK, so now we need a million dollar bitcoin page. IIRC this has been done a couple years ago.

Someone will probably make it. But that wasn't the point. The point was to talk about the snowball effect. When the milliondollarhompage was made, it was a novelty, something new, everybody after that was copycats, and did not get the same amount of attention.

Bitcoin is also something new. In the future the market will be saturated with different cryptocurrencies, and bitcoin will not be a novelty, the rallies of the present will be a distant memory in the future.
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:51:10 AM

http://www.alexa.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fmilliondollarhomepage.com%2F&r=home_home&p=bigtop

Low ranking...
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:52:54 AM

Someone will probably make it. But that wasn't the point. The point was to talk about the snowball effect. When the milliondollarhompage was made, it was a novelty, something new, everybody after that was copycats, and did not get the same amount of attention.

Bitcoin is also something new. In the future the market will be saturated with different cryptocurrencies, and bitcoin will not be a novelty, the rallies of the present will be a distant memory in the future.

two things have to happen, people have to know about it and someone has to make it simple for non tech people to use and feel secure about AND there need to be more and more places to spend it.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:54:04 AM

Hm. You compared btc to a web page that got 15 minutes of fame and then faded away.

You are spot on!
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1011

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:58:13 AM

Hm. You compared btc to a web page that got 15 minutes of fame and then faded away.

You are spot on!

so give us your prediction for the right level that you will short this and make so much money?

misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 03:53:16 AM

All we need is Argentina to shit the bed on a bond default and we will see $200 bitcoin and beyond in short order. We have a perfect powder keg formed, with global financial unrest and unprecedented news coverage with record highs.
tmbp

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 07:28:06 AM

Here's an interesting story:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Million_Dollar_Homepage

In short it was a a student having the idea of raising money for his education. He made a 'silly' website, selling pixel adds to make money.

But it went viral, and his goal of making 1 million dollars was quickly reached.

Here's his page:
http://milliondollarhomepage.com/

Why was it such an astounding success ? Because all news media picked up on it, and he was invited to all shows on TV, and then of course, when others saw this, they wanted to invite him and interview him too, so it was the snowball effect.

That's what we're seeing with bitcoin now too. I think bitcoin is a far far better idea than that 'silly' homepage, but it only goes to prove how much attention you get when you have something spectacular and the interest and attention just grows.

Bitcoin reached a 1 billion dollar market cap, which made people start to talk, and it gets attention on TV and in other media, and the price is raising, creating more attention, and more attention is creating more price increases and so on.

That's why I think we can see 200 before we know it. At this point, I don't see the interest stopping at all, quite the contrary, I see a very strong interest for bitcoin over all. Also the fact that BitcoinStore sold for half a million dollars so far, goes to prove that bitcoin is not only used for a speculatory vehicle.

Maybe this would be more suitable in speculation - but I don't think it's only the monetary value at play here, but also the political view, which would be more suitable for this main forum. As much as some of you may not like speculators, the fact is that increased price makes for more attention, which again will make for more merchants and more users.

Hey I wanted to bump this to anyone who's interested give my topic a read:
www.millionbitpage.com

I'm sure most of you heard about The Million Dollar Webpage, well this is the bitcoin take on the idea, you can purchase any number of pixels for a really small price, after going through a fully automatic process the image will appear seconds after your payment receives the needed confirmations, after that another person can "outbuy" your pixels if he pays 3 times the amount it cost you and so on.

As of the moment the average price is 0.000075BTC per pixel, so you can purchase pixels for your forum avatars using your change and et cetera.

I am also hear listening to suggestions as always!
Herodes (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:03:08 AM

Anyone can outbid someone elses pixels ? Now, that's rogue. Good luck.
keatonatron

Activity: 308

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:09:42 AM

This has been done a dozen times within the last month!

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
tmbp

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:25:53 AM

Anyone can outbid someone elses pixels ? Now, that's rogue. Good luck.

I've seen a couple of scripts floating around where one can pay a certain amount of BTC to broadcast a message on the website, the next user can pay a higher amount to overwrite that message and so on.

The same concept is applied to The Million Bitcoin Page, you can purchase a pixel for a fraction of a cent, eventually this very pixel might cost a lot more so another user can pay a certain amount times what you've paid in order to obtain it. Since there is no cap on how high you can go the page can "live" without ever dying off and being forgotten, holding pixels becomes even more profitable.

This has been done a dozen times within the last month!

Then show 1 link instead of blabbering about how it has been done.
keatonatron

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:23:21 AM

Then show 1 link instead of blabbering about how it has been done.

How about 3?

http://www.millionbitpage.com/
http://pixelco.in/
http://www.milliondollarbitcoinhomepage.com/

tmbp

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 09:39:52 AM

The first one is my own, the other ones are NOT automatic.

MillionDollarBitcoinHomepage.com
-Is NOT automatic.
-You need to buy a minimum of 10 pixels at the price of 100USD (who would pay that!)
-Is based on the German script that has been used and reused by copycats OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.
-The owner expects the marketing to take off by itself instead of investing into marketing with his current position which renders the investment as bad overall.

pixelco.in
-Is NOT automatic.
-Isn't even the same idea.
-Login to purchase pixels? What?
-Completely irrelevant, there are no thousand pixels to be sold, the domain ends with .in which is useless when indexing the page by Google.

Just the fact that the Bitcoin transactions are processed by gullible humans instead of irrefutable mathematics are enough to turn me off. If there are any other websites like mine feel free to post a link.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:39:14 AM

yawn
keatonatron

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:03:09 AM

It stills sounds the same to me. Pixelco.in makes you register your e-mail address so they can contact you. Why do you keep saying the login thing is so confusing?

I think when explaining your site you should make a better presentation as to what is different and why yours is better.  As it is, most people will only notice two things:

1) www.millionbitpage.com and www.milliondollarbitcoinhomepage.com look exactly the same.

2) They both have 0 purchases, whereas pixelco.in has quite a few (i.e. people are actually going to that site).

ohmannomma

Activity: 144
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:15:35 AM

Dear Bitcoin adopter and enthusiast,

if you are looking for visibility and authority in the bitcoin scenario, you should consider reserving some pixels in the Bitcoin Museum. http://bitcoinmuseum.com

With the Bitcoin museum we would like to describe what will come out from the 'bitcoin phenomena' under the sociological and cultural aspect into a graffiti-like timeless experience, and where is the point of 'fluidification', rather than 'consolidation' of the btc from a saving perspective to the futile, but potentially smart, choice candidate to be the brick (pixel) for the everyday human and corporative economy.

Own a piece of bitcoin history that will be yours for the next 50 years.

We hope that we gave you a useful bit of information, and that together we can be remembered as part of the legend.
Regards

http://bitcoinmuseum.com 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    delicia | delicia.io    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Decentralized Global Food Network | World's Only Solution to Food Wastage | Join Whitelist Now, Get 30% Bonus
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    Whitepaper | Telegram | Medium | Twitter | FB | ANN    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
tmbp

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:03:40 AM

It stills sounds the same to me. Pixelco.in makes you register your e-mail address so they can contact you. Why do you keep saying the login thing is so confusing?

I think when explaining your site you should make a better presentation as to what is different and why yours is better.  As it is, most people will only notice two things:

1) www.millionbitpage.com and www.milliondollarbitcoinhomepage.com look exactly the same.

2) They both have 0 purchases, whereas pixelco.in has quite a few (i.e. people are actually going to that site).

They aren't exactly the same, I have wrote the script for my site by myself, MDBH is powered by a common script that doesn't offer functionality similar to what I have. I have just launched a couple of days ago so that's the reason it still has 0 purchases.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: