Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:53:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP!!! password from Armory 3 years ago!!!  (Read 568 times)
scubamaz (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 11:20:02 PM

I have a password 10 digits long which is no longer being accepted!!!

ANY ADVICE / HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

The password does NOT start with a letter so it is being automatically rejected.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2016, 11:25:34 PM

What version of Armory are you using?

The password does NOT start with a letter so it is being automatically rejected.
And how did you reach that conclusion?

dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 06:29:53 AM

I recommend this service, it's well-known and trusted and has helped a lot of users to recover their bitcoin wallets:
https://walletrecoveryservices.com

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 08:44:28 AM

If you have some python in you, there is a hinted brute force script here: https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/extras/findpass.py

scubamaz (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 09:57:53 PM

THE latest one....  Of course the one I used 3 years ago was obviously different!  Smiley

Quote from: scubamaz on October 19, 2016, 11:20:02 PM
And how did you reach that conclusion?

I have what I think is the key but the first symbol of the key is NOT a letter.  So when I enter it to "recover" my wallet Armory tells me it must start with a letter which it does not.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 20, 2016, 10:07:15 PM

I have what I think is the key but the first symbol of the key is NOT a letter.  So when I enter it to "recover" my wallet Armory tells me it must start with a letter which it does not.

You are confusing the paper backup dialog with the password prompt. They are not the same thing.

The first thing you need to do is to describe in as many details as possible how you go from "I have a password" to this error message.

Next, answer this. "The latest version" is not a valid reply.

scubamaz (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:57:22 AM

I have what I think is the key but the first symbol of the key is NOT a letter.  So when I enter it to "recover" my wallet Armory tells me it must start with a letter which it does not.

You are confusing the paper backup dialog with the password prompt. They are not the same thing.

The first thing you need to do is to describe in as many details as possible how you go from "I have a password" to this error message.

OK I have a password.   At the start “window” where it says Armory – Bitcoin Wallet Management in the upper extrem left corner.  On the extream right are to options one saying Import or Restore Wallet.  So I click on that as I am trying to restore a Wallet.  

A smaller “window” appears with the same on the upper right  Armory – Bitcoin Wallet Management
Directly bellow it says  

Restore Wallet  from Backup

There are 4 choices but none seem to work with a password.

1. Printed … NOPE
2. Fragmented need paper as well NOPE
3. Import digital back up needs a file NOPe
4. Import watching only  Nope....

Armory 0.94.1 / Advanced User...   I do not know how or why it says advanced.  I changed to to Standard in hope that might make a difference and well Armory is no spinning it's wheels I am not sure but it might might be reloading the whole block chain from the start??
Next, answer this. "The latest version" is not a valid reply.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2016, 03:03:43 AM

OK I have a password.   At the start “window” where it says Armory – Bitcoin Wallet Management in the upper extrem left corner.  On the extream right are to options one saying Import or Restore Wallet.  So I click on that as I am trying to restore a Wallet.  

A smaller “window” appears with the same on the upper right  Armory – Bitcoin Wallet Management
Directly bellow it says  

1. Printed … NOPE
Do you have a wallet file?

When you say password, do you have a password that you created or an 18 word string with 4 random characters per word?

Armory 0.94.1 / Advanced User...   I do not know how or why it says advanced.  I changed to to Standard in hope that might make a difference and well Armory is no spinning it's wheels I am not sure but it might might be reloading the whole block chain from the start??
You have to restart for the usermode (the standard, advanced, expert thing) to change. It doesn't matter for this what usermode you are using.

scubamaz (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 01:36:18 PM

Directly bellow it says  

1. Printed … NOPE
Do you have a wallet file?

NO!  Sad  That is what seems to be the problem I don't recall ( 3 years ago ) needing one...   hummmm

When you say password, do you have a password that you created or an 18 word string with 4 random characters per word?

a password which I created.     ( just wanted to say thanks for helping...  let's see!)

You have to restart for the usermode (the standard, advanced, expert thing) to change. It doesn't matter for this what usermode you are using.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2016, 01:49:46 PM

NO!  Sad  That is what seems to be the problem I don't recall ( 3 years ago ) needing one...   hummmm

a password which I created.     ( just wanted to say thanks for helping...  let's see!)
Unfortunately, your Bitcoin is probably lost. Without the wallet file or the root key generated by Armory (the long 18 word string with 4 characters per word), the wallet cannot be recovered.

scubamaz (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 02:39:39 PM

Bummer!  Thanks..  ;/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: