Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:15:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need to make new backups?  (Read 588 times)
Mvann (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:35:34 AM

Probably a noob question, here it goes.

Ive recently made a new wallet and encrypted it using the bitcoinqt software, since then ive received a few coins and added a couple adresses. Do I need to make new backup of the wallet.dat file after these changes?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
prezbo

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:34:46 AM

If it's just a couple of new addresses then no. You don't need to backup until you exhaust the initial pool - which by default is 100 addresses. Just be careful with it, every time you make a transaction that would (also) use one of the addresses in the pool.
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:50:13 AM

You only ever need to back-up your wallet once. The easiest way is to use "dumpprivkey" and print out the privkeys for the accounts in your wallet.

No matter whatever happens you can download and install a new client and them import your privkeys and have your money back (unless someone hacked your wallet and took your coins).

If you're not going to be using your wallet for a while, dump the privkeys and remove the client from your computer entirely, then import the privkey on a new client when you're ready to spend.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:55:46 AM

You only ever need to back-up your wallet once. The easiest way is to use "dumpprivkey" and print out the privkeys for the accounts in your wallet.

No matter whatever happens you can download and install a new client and them import your privkeys and have your money back (unless someone hacked your wallet and took your coins).

If you're not going to be using your wallet for a while, dump the privkeys and remove the client from your computer entirely, then import the privkey on a new client when you're ready to spend.
Only once? It is more than that if you got new addresses in your wallet after that first backup....

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:02:52 AM

Only once? It is more than that if you got new addresses in your wallet after that first backup....

I had not considered the thought of exhausting the initial keypool, I apologize (I haven't come anywhere near exhausting mine yet so didn't occur to me)...

But he is correct, If you create more than 100 new addresses, you will want to back-up your wallet.dat again and it is always good practice to back-up your wallet any time before upgrading the client just in case you've made any changes to encryption or exhausted the keypool, etc... that you might have forgotten about since your last back-up...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: