Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:57:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Safe Wallet Options  (Read 1764 times)
AvY Enterprises

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2016, 10:30:35 PM

Paper Wallet* - End of discussion

*private keys and paper wallet must be generated on your own secure system using properly vetted opensource code from a trusted developer and you might want to destroy the printer when you're done: http://www.pcworld.com/article/254518/your_printer_could_be_a_security_sore_spot.html
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
secone

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 02:18:19 AM

this is just my opinion, for me the safe wallet is where we can acces to privekey, and where we can backup and restore our wallet with easy step, at this case for me mycellium, jaxx wallet, electrum wallet is some of the safe wallet, im use it whituout any issue, if i can't acces to my wallet, i just put the privekey to other wallet, then send it quickly.
DenyAryanto

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 03:39:57 AM

blockchain is good online wallet
you can backup use pharsa pneumonic , private key and paper wallet

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
wuvdoll
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1025

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 09:59:26 AM

Keeping your bitcoin in an online wallet is not a problem but if the amount of bitcoin you have is very big, it is advisable that you keep some in your desktop wallet in the event the online wallet hacked or goes offline, you can be sure you will not loose everything. Online wallets are good for being used as hot wallet with small amount of bitcoins for daily use.
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 727

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 01:39:56 PM

Keeping your bitcoin in an online wallet is not a problem but if the amount of bitcoin you have is very big, it is advisable that you keep some in your desktop wallet in the event the online wallet hacked or goes offline, you can be sure you will not loose everything. Online wallets are good for being used as hot wallet with small amount of bitcoins for daily use.

Very true, online wallets are good  only if you only store  small amounts of bitcoin  only because  its somehow risky when you  tend to  put  huge volumes of bitcoin same as  you said  if they would go  offline  or getting  hacked you would surely lose  up all your money  in an instant thats why  its better to use  desktop or hardware wallets  though.
dinda22
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 02:06:32 PM

Very true, online wallets are good  only if you only store  small amounts of bitcoin  only because  its somehow risky when you  tend to  put  huge volumes of bitcoin same as  you said  if they would go  offline  or getting  hacked you would surely lose  up all your money  in an instant thats why  its better to use  desktop or hardware wallets  though.

yes the point is better not to put too large amount in one wallet. it is good to keep in wallet online and offline.
but so far I was very safe to use blockchain.info for 4 years. just add security 2FA to be more safe.
ZACHM

Activity: 777
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 08:08:51 PM

yes the point is better not to put too large amount in one wallet. it is good to keep in wallet online and offline.
but so far I was very safe to use blockchain.info for 4 years. just add security 2FA to be more safe.

The addition of 2FA does make your account more secure, but that is not the concern with online wallets. The concern is not that someone would hack into your wallet, the concern is that someone hacks into the system and steals all the private keys of all the wallets. Your 2FA would not help in that situation.
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 07:08:10 AM

The addition of 2FA does make your account more secure, but that is not the concern with online wallets. The concern is not that someone would hack into your wallet, the concern is that someone hacks into the system and steals all the private keys of all the wallets. Your 2FA would not help in that situation.

Well I don't know about blockchain.info but on Coinbase your Bitcoins are insured against hacks and thefts. Of course they don't cover negligence on your part, it's up to the user to make sure his/her login details are not compromised through keyloggers etc. So 2FA does help in this regard. Plus it is also possible for you to keep your Bitcoins offline on Coinbase.

Quote from Coinbase support:

"Coinbase is insured against theft and electronic compromise in an amount that exceeds the average value of bitcoin and ether it holds online at any given time. Specifically, Coinbase's insurance policy would respond to losses resulting from a breach of our physical security, cyber security, or as a result of employee theft."
Aamir1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 07:58:32 AM

Hi,

So I have been using Blockchain as my wallet and Coinbase to buy some btc. I sent btc back and forth for payments etc. I have been out of bitcoin for a little while now. Are there any other real/trusted/reputable wallets?

Thanks!

People say paper wallets are quite safe, i never used any myself though, but if you think online wallets can get hacked or disappear maybe, and desktop or hardware wallets may get damaged if hard disk or pc get destroyed, then you should check paper wallet as that you can keep any place you think is the safest.
ZACHM

Activity: 777
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 02:41:20 PM

Well I don't know about blockchain.info but on Coinbase your Bitcoins are insured against hacks and thefts. Of course they don't cover negligence on your part, it's up to the user to make sure his/her login details are not compromised through keyloggers etc. So 2FA does help in this regard. Plus it is also possible for you to keep your Bitcoins offline on Coinbase.

Quote from Coinbase support:

"Coinbase is insured against theft and electronic compromise in an amount that exceeds the average value of bitcoin and ether it holds online at any given time. Specifically, Coinbase's insurance policy would respond to losses resulting from a breach of our physical security, cyber security, or as a result of employee theft."

I did not know that. I guess I never really looked into it. Thanks for the info.  Smiley
I do use Coinbase for conversion between fiat and BTC.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 04:01:16 PM

This thread topic is covered in the "Bitcoin Wallets - Which, what, why?" General thread pinned to the top of this sub-forum.

As such, it can now be locked, and any sig ad that posts in this thread after this should probably be perma-banned.

Thread has been reported to moderator.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: