Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:32:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A warning I read about bitcoins I dont understnad  (Read 472 times)
pissing (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 10:00:40 PM

Ive used bitcoin for a while and I know how to send/recieve etc I thought I was reasonably understanding of them but I have recently stated using a blockchain.info wallet.

In the app that comes with it on my phone there is a message that says sharing your xpub key enables others to disrupt your transations. I cant get my head around what this apub is and how it differs from when i just go onto the site and log in, press recieve and get a number to request btc to be sent to.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, i am wondering if I have been doing something wrong or if the blockchain app words differently to the other wallets I have been using

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 10:13:17 PM

Ive used bitcoin for a while and I know how to send/recieve etc I thought I was reasonably understanding of them but I have recently stated using a blockchain.info wallet.

In the app that comes with it on my phone there is a message that says sharing your xpub key enables others to disrupt your transations. I cant get my head around what this apub is and how it differs from when i just go onto the site and log in, press recieve and get a number to request btc to be sent to.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, i am wondering if I have been doing something wrong or if the blockchain app words differently to the other wallets I have been using

xPub key is a master public key of deterministic wallet.  It can be used to view all transactions of all the addresses under it.  It's very different from bitcoin addresses you get from your addresses list or when you "press receive".

Although I'm not sure if people can really disrupt your transactions with master public keys, you should be fine as long as you never share your xPub with anyone.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2016, 11:33:42 PM

I'd be more worried about the fact that you're using an online wallet.
Make sure you have a backup of your secret keys or use a trusted offline wallet.

On topic, sharing your xpub key has no point and it would weaken your privacy.
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 07:28:48 PM

More specifically what is xPub is:  https://support.blockchain.com/hc/en-us/articles/207746403-Addresses
Like @Jhanzo said. As long as you never share your xPub, it's fine. Because if someone obtains your xPub, they can monitoring your transaction and disrupt an access to your wallet.

Better stay away from online wallet.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 07:43:42 PM

Your xpub key is your master public key. No don't share it because if someone ever found the private key to any of your addresses within that HD wallet they could easily generate any other of your addresses. Sharing your private key would be a bigger issue because then anyone can spend your bitcoins.

On a side note, blockchain.info is horribly unsecure and I would suggest a desktop/non Web wallet such as bitcoin core, electrum, bread wallet, mycelium or a hardware wallet / paper wallet made offline on a secure system. They're actually secure options and your bitcoins can't be stolen from blockchain.info like soooo many other people's have in the past. Just google it. It's frustrating that anyone still uses them. If a bank lost your money would you still bank with them when they tell you it's your fault? Not a chance. Well with bitcoins you don't need these asshole theives, you can store them on your own, however you want. Get your coins out asap. They're just as vulnerable as any exchange you see on the news that's been hacked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: