Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:32:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Major Flaw in BTC (IMO)  (Read 799 times)
BTCVirgin (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:26:04 PM

I am new to BTC and have done a little research and I am ready to buy some.  Smiley

Trouble is that there are serious hoops to jump through for a UK investor.

So far I have been unale to find a way to fund my MtGox account since the information supplied is not compatible with the UK bank transfer system (ie, there is no Sort Code for MTGox and their account number is incompatible with our system).

So the flaw in my opinion is that buying BTC is such a pain in the posterior  - this makes it only compatible with the investor who is prepared to perform financial acrobatics to fund his account.

The point of BTC is supposed to be an easy transaction currency - UK users and many more around the world are finding it too difficult to get involved and BTC will simply become an investment and not a currency for real transactions.

Have I missed the point ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:29:33 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 02:10:33 PM by Anon136

I think you ought consider the possibility that what you are describing is a flaw with government not a flaw with bitcoin.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Cryptoc

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:32:49 PM

As times goes in it will get easier and easier buying Bitcoins.
If there's a demand, someone will supply!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:33:46 PM

Yes, as stated. not a flaw in bitcoin in any way.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 01:35:59 PM

The real problem is UK banks freezing the feeder accounts of bitcoin exchanges (regardless of whether or not some evil conspiracy is involved).

An ingenious workaround will eventually come forth.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:36:24 PM

I am new to BTC and have done a little research and I am ready to buy some.  Smiley

Trouble is that there are serious hoops to jump through for a UK investor.

So far I have been unale to find a way to fund my MtGox account since the information supplied is not compatible with the UK bank transfer system (ie, there is no Sort Code for MTGox and their account number is incompatible with our system).

So the flaw in my opinion is that buying BTC is such a pain in the posterior  - this makes it only compatible with the investor who is prepared to perform financial acrobatics to fund his account.

The point of BTC is supposed to be an easy transaction currency - UK users and many more around the world are finding it too difficult to get involved and BTC will simply become an investment and not a currency for real transactions.

Have I missed the point ?

Yes, you've missed the point.  How easy is it for you to buy US $ in the UK?  It is an easy transaction currency once you have some.  Try starting an online business of some sort, and accept bitcoins.  That's what is needed more than a better ways to trade government fiat for bitcoins.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Synapse_On_Slush

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:39:05 PM

UK user here Smiley

It's not a BACS transfer like you are describing, it's an international wire transfer. Look around on your banking website and you should find a form for doing them.

Make sure you read the instructions on mt.gox VERY CAREFULLY and write the "DO NOT CONVERT" in the 'note' section.

That's about it Smiley p.s. if your depositing < £500 you should look into using OTC as the transfer fee to mt.gox is about £45 with everything totaled.

You could use BACS back in January but our banks have got anal about bitcoins and shut down all 3 of the accounts we used to use.

Barclay's hate it as it's competition to PingIt for example...

Also, UK being "finicail capital of the world" means our country pretty much relies on banks/trading and so bitcoins is our kryptonite.
BTCVirgin (OP)

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:57:20 PM

[/quote]

Yes, you've missed the point.  How easy is it for you to buy US $ in the UK?  It is an easy transaction currency once you have some.  Try starting an online business of some sort, and accept bitcoins.  That's what is needed more than a better ways to trade government fiat for bitcoins.
[/quote]

Great idea, except for any business to succeed there needs to be cash flow. As long as I am unable to transfer BTC back to GBP the business wont last long  Angry
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 02:06:30 PM

Great idea, except for any business to succeed there needs to be cash flow. As long as I am unable to transfer BTC back to GBP the business wont last long  Angry
I think this is a short term problem also. Think about work arounds for the short term. A business could use BTC directly for some of it's needs. One can pay phone service, save profits, buy business insurance, and other things right now; without converting.

In the long term, forget conversion. You have more useful money when holding bitcoins, especially if you want to go global. I doubt however you will ever be able to pay your taxes in bitcoin, so you will need some pounds.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:40:25 PM

Then either start as a hobby business, and simply sell what you can sell; or just add bitcoin payments to another existing business model.  Maybe bitcoins will become  a significant part of the business, maybe they won't.  Doesn't really matter, if the goal is to aquire bitcoins for your own purposes cost effectively.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
chumpp

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 10:41:51 PM

i would like to see some of those bitcoin ATMs they are putting in cyprus in more places
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: