Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:34:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this motherboard enough? (Mining on old MoBo)  (Read 1452 times)
shadowhlohavec (OP)

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

NoizChain

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 04:33:02 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2016, 09:31:04 PM by shadowhlohavec

Hello guys here is my older post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1651715.0

We decided to build mining pc (planning to mine eth or on nicehash)
One guy is selling pc for only 100€ with these specs - 3GHZ Intel Core2Duo e8400, 4 GB RAM, Mobo --> GA-EP43-DS3L, 250GB HDD, gpu - radeon HD4800 512MB,Windows 10 home  

We decided to buy this one mainly because it has mother board with 4x pcix1 slots and 1x pcix16 slot
But there comes the question - is this mobo enough to run 4 - 5 gpu type of ASUS Radeon HD 7950, VTX3D AMD Radeon R9 280X and mybe also AMD Radeon HD 7990 or it will burn?  Grin

We want to connect the gpu to pcx1 with this type of cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extender-Riser-Flex-Kabel-PCIe-PCI-E-Express-x1-zu-x16-Slot-Cable-/322296035673?hash=item4b0a573959:g:AX0AAOSw-CpYA63k

We are also planning to buy psu like this - Corsair 850W CX850M to power at least 2-3 cards depend of the model

Do you think we can risk it with the  GA-EP43-DS3L (we don't know which rev is it yet) or better buy some mobo,cpu,ram from ebay (which will cost a lot more), tell us your ideas and solutions please

Thank you for help

NOIZ

⇐ ● A decentralized cognitive ad network ICO LIVE SOON ● ⇒

○ ○ ○ ➀ WEBSITE WHITEPAPER  TELEGRAM TWITTER FACEBOOK ○ ○ ○

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 07:57:01 PM

Only one way to find out: try it!
But that PCIe-riser won't do!  You need to get powered risers to supply the GPUs with sufficient power.
An 850w PSU will to handle at least 3 GPUs easily.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
shadowhlohavec (OP)

NoizChain

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 08:50:21 PM

But that PCIe-riser won't do!  You need to get powered risers to supply the GPUs with sufficient power.

Yea, we can do it, but you know maybe somebody has experience with running new gpu on slightly older mobo, if it wont work it will be wasted money...

But I don't understand why that riser won't work? it just conncet the gpu to the motherboard trough the pcix1 slot and power it for 75W, and the rest of power will go through cable in the first  picture, do you think we will need the usb one in the second picture? but I think it should be the same

NOIZ

snowyNNN

Activity: 422
Merit: 251

Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Zcl Kmd Zen Rep Xmr Sc Neo

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 05:40:38 PM

If you intend to run multiple gpus with out a powered riser, there might be trouble. I don´t think you´d like to run that kind of power through the motherboard as she might not be able to take it. This is especially true if you plan to add more gpus than just two or three.

Powered risers aren´t that expensive anyway. From Aliexpress they´re dirt cheap, like 5 bucks a pop. Of course they would take time to arrive unless you live near shenzhen which I doubt. ribboned risers come in powered variety also.

I have over a ten year old motherboard with an hd7950 gpu in it mining Ethereum. For a reason unbeknownst to me I was unsuccessful in adding another gpu in it. I run Ubuntu 14.04 in it though. Maybe there is something I should change in bios...

Welcome and happy mining!

█▀▀▄░▄▀▀▄░▄▀▀▀░█░░░  Xmr Sc Pasc Rlc Zen           ✦       (\__/)       ✦
█▀▀░░█▀▀█░░▀▀▄░█░░░  Zcl Kmd Ltc Rep Dash                  (='.'=) 
█░░░░█░░█░███▀░███░ Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Btc             ✦   (")_(")  ✦           ▲▼ Anonymous ▲▼ Community Driven     XULT.com
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 07:30:55 PM

But that PCIe-riser won't do!  You need to get powered risers to supply the GPUs with sufficient power.

Yea, we can do it, but you know maybe somebody has experience with running new gpu on slightly older mobo, if it wont work it will be wasted money...

But I don't understand why that riser won't work? it just conncet the gpu to the motherboard trough the pcix1 slot and power it for 75W, and the rest of power will go through cable in the first  picture, do you think we will need the usb one in the second picture? but I think it should be the same

I have an old MSI  socket 775 mobo with the same CPU as you which I use to test-run GPUs.  I have tested R9 390s, Nanos, RX470s...
In short, running the latest GPUs with that mobo should be no problem.
But use powered risers if you intend to connect more than one GPU.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
shadowhlohavec (OP)

NoizChain

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 09:20:34 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2016, 09:49:18 PM by shadowhlohavec

Thanks for you replies so we will go for that Pc, also we have ordered MSI radeon HD 7990 for 170€  Grin I'm happy that you explained to me the thing about the risers, however I'm not sure how are the powered risers actually powered, is it going through sata connector and to the psu? And do you have some favorite that you use right now without problems? It would be great if you can give us some reccomendations, we don't want to burn mobo
and gpu, cheers  Cheesy

Edit: just founds these for good price, what do you think? - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USB3-0-PCI-E-PCI-Express-1x-to-16x-Extender-Riser-Card-Adapter-Powered-Cable-/322268701812?var=&hash=item4b08b62474:m:mN1S69DC0iCy60QBesnsvLg

NOIZ

LoneRangir

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 05:10:40 AM

Yes, those risers seem reasonable, since they have the 4-pin molex connector.  I have three similar ones that work great. 

I burned through a powered riser with a smaller 4-pin floppy-style connector.  I would stay away from this type:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61jycQ3EgdL._SL1000_.jpg

shadowhlohavec (OP)

NoizChain

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2016, 04:58:22 PM

bad luck! the PC described up , has been already sold unfortunatelly. So we will go probably for something like this:
cpu celeron D 3ghz
asus P5LD2 rev1
4gd ram
500gb HDD
(nvidia gts 450 1gb)
+ Msi Radeon HD 7990

The cpu is only one core hope that won't cause some problems

NOIZ

Pages: [1]
  Print