Bitcoin Forum
September 18, 2024, 01:21:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not sure if problem is Antminer or PSU  (Read 661 times)
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2730
Merit: 552

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 06:40:06 PM

I bought an Antminer S3 off eBay and a PSU from a different person.  The power supply is a HP 1200 Watt one with a custom plugs soldered on.
The fan goes on but not the light, and when I plug it in to the Antminer nothing happens with the antminer.  Is the light on the PSU supposed to stay on?

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 09:01:38 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2016, 10:14:03 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Look at the back of the PSU. On the left you will see a set of thin contacts -- those control the PSU. Do 2 of them have wires/switch soldered to them? The PSU needs those to turn on the DC output...
ref:

Connect the thin brown and black wires together using a small switch and the PSU then supplies power. Green LED will turn on showing that.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2016, 10:48:57 PM

Look at the back of the PSU. On the left you will see a set of thin contacts -- those control the PSU. Do 2 of them have wires/switch soldered to them? The PSU needs those to turn on the DC output...
ref:

Connect the thin brown and black wires together using a small switch and the PSU then supplies power. Green LED will turn on showing that.

Yes, they are soldered by one tiny wire in a "jumper" style, connecting two strips of circuit board together.  That's the way it came.

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 01:29:54 AM

Then unplug the miner and plug in the PSU with no load. The green light should come on. If not, my guess is the PSU is dead. If green LED is on, PSU should be ok.

If the PSU lives with no load, plug in the miner and try again.. Both boards need to have power btw. Preferably use all 4 of the PCIe plugs on the miner.

If now no green light, means the miner is overloading the PSU. A HP 1200w supply can easily power several s3's so....

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
paramind22 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 04:50:52 AM

Thanks for your help.  I bought the Antminer and PSU at the same time on eBay.  The company sent me one with a wire hanging off, soldered it on, still didn't work.  Sent me a free replacement, same exact thing happened!  I bought a 750 Corsair today locally and got the plugs coming soon.   

NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2016, 08:26:33 PM

Just to be sure they did it right, counting from left to right it is pins 1 and 4 that need to be tied together to turn on the DC. The other pins are for load sharing, status, and voltage level control.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: