Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 12:24:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Source Blockchain Based Voting System  (Read 650 times)
Ghepetto (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 24, 2016, 07:52:42 PM

I had a vision about an open source blockchain based Voting system that could be applied in any political or business context, immutable.

How could this be achieved? 

Who would take the initiative? 

Make bitcointalk great again by providing the world with the tools necessary to bring power back to the people.

Start the conversation here.

--------------------Bagholder Extraordinaire--------------------
ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2016, 05:35:51 AM

Sure I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
But first I think you forgot define a few things, like for example the word 'people'. Isn't power already with humans? The government, banks etc are run by people no? So 'bring power back to the people' doesn't really make sense because it's already with the people. Or maybe government people and bankers are somehow different from you and me? If that's the case then I think you should define them clearly in the op to avoid confusion when you use the word 'people'.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 12:34:54 AM

issues to consider:
how to register the voters
EG. stop someone making 10,000 addresses to vote in one direction.
EG. who controls the registration to avoid previous example

lets say it was a government election. where every citizen gets a privkey linked to their birth certificate/social security. with 20 vote coins (1 coin used per 4 year term from the age of 20-100)

next issue
do you reveal the birth record data/social security data so anyone can tally that each vote is actually linked to a real record. or
do you just have the public keys transparent so each individual knows their coin went to the right representatives address.

but in either case not know if 10mill fake birth certificates were made or 10mill asylum seekers gained a SS number purely for an election and then deported after

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
virtualx

Activity: 672
Merit: 507

LOTEO

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 02:00:43 AM

I had a vision about an open source blockchain based Voting system that could be applied in any political or business context, immutable.

Technical can be achieved, but how to get consensus (marketing) for users?  Most people don't understand words like blockchain, open source.  It's like asking how to get all of the citizens on bitcoin. Its a much bigger challenge than just the technical.

...loteo...
DIGITAL ERA LOTTERY

r

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
▄██████████████████████████▄
▄██  ███████▌ ▐██████████████▄
▐██▌ ▐█▀  ▀█    ▐█▀   ▀██▀  ▀██▌
▐██  █▌ █▌ ██  ██▌ ██▌ █▌ █▌ ██▌
▐█▌ ▐█ ▐█ ▐█▌ ▐██  ▄▄▄██ ▐█ ▐██▌
▐█  ██▄  ▄██    █▄    ██▄  ▄███▌
▀████████████████████████████▀
▀██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
r

RPLAY NOWR
BE A MOON VISITOR!
[/center]
Ghepetto (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 06:10:33 AM

Sure I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.
But first I think you forgot define a few things, like for example the word 'people'. Isn't power already with humans? The government, banks etc are run by people no? So 'bring power back to the people' doesn't really make sense because it's already with the people. Or maybe government people and bankers are somehow different from you and me? If that's the case then I think you should define them clearly in the op to avoid confusion when you use the word 'people'.
To clarify, I meant the people that are interested in a truthful outcome.  The only 'people' that would be excluded would be those who wanted to cheat the vote.

Technical can be achieved, but how to get consensus (marketing) for users?  Most people don't understand words like blockchain, open source.  It's like asking how to get all of the citizens on bitcoin. Its a much bigger challenge than just the technical.

It might not be a bigger challenge if it works as intended, just take a look at Bitcoin.  Not easy but possible.

clickerz

Activity: 1414
Merit: 505

Backed.Finance

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 11:38:51 AM

I think its Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) will first used  blockchain technology in their e-voting system. This was announced last week and it seems the idea before about blockchain in election is used.

here is the link: Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange Launches Blockchain e-Voting Service

Open for Campaigns
Ghepetto (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 04:35:43 PM

I think its Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange (ADX) will first used  blockchain technology in their e-voting system. This was announced last week and it seems the idea before about blockchain in election is used.

here is the link: Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange Launches Blockchain e-Voting Service

Thank you, it looks like I'm not the only one interested in this concept.

issues to consider:
how to register the voters
EG. stop someone making 10,000 addresses to vote in one direction.
EG. who controls the registration to avoid previous example

lets say it was a government election. where every citizen gets a privkey linked to their birth certificate/social security. with 20 vote coins (1 coin used per 4 year term from the age of 20-100)

next issue
do you reveal the birth record data/social security data so anyone can tally that each vote is actually linked to a real record. or
do you just have the public keys transparent so each individual knows their coin went to the right representatives address.

but in either case not know if 10mill fake birth certificates were made or 10mill asylum seekers gained a SS number purely for an election and then deported after

Thanks for the input Franky1, lets simplify the question by defining it as an election for government official.  

The goal would be to make registration decentralized, could this be achieved by having voters (aka wallets) cross check and verify other voters through signed message confirmation groups (similar to your friends list on facebook)?  
Maybe a second layer to achieve verification, a 'tree of wallets (identity)' also modeled after social media
All sensitive data must be protected.
Linking wallets to government ID sounds like a good idea in conjunction with transparent public keys.
Fork the system after every election and give out a new 'vote coin' to every citizen for practical reasons?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 08:54:17 PM

The goal would be to make registration decentralized, could this be achieved by having voters (aka wallets) cross check and verify other voters through signed message confirmation groups (similar to your friends list on facebook)?  
Maybe a second layer to achieve verification, a 'tree of wallets (identity)' also modeled after social media

still seems open to attack by someone setting up several addresses and verifying himself.

but then it all depends on what is being voted in.
eg if its a new law. its easy to verify X senators/mp's did not make a dozen accounts.
but if its a national election how do you know 10%(30mill) of america didnt even bother to register. and some dude however made 25mill addresses in his control to still keep it under the population count

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
boulecoin

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2017, 08:14:52 AM

We have been working on a solution to this  Smiley

Very excited to share
Ghepetto (OP)

View Profile
March 07, 2021, 05:21:20 AM

necro for the times

Natsuu

Activity: 1120
Merit: 158

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
March 07, 2021, 05:50:57 AM

First issue I can see as soon as I see the "Voting system" in open source blockchain is how the tech manage the people who will vote. How can they ensure the legitimacy of every vote if the voters are anonymous at some point.

virasog
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1161

View Profile
March 07, 2021, 06:39:01 AM

The idea is great and can be implemented easily. Also by using blockchain there will be no chance of any corruption. But again, guess who will oppose this blockchain based voting system ?  
The corrupt politicians themselves will not want this to be enforced as then they cannot do the corruption in the election process.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
TheRealZiggy

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2021, 11:24:44 AM

The idea is great and can be implemented easily. Also by using blockchain there will be no chance of any corruption. But again, guess who will oppose this blockchain based voting system ?  
The corrupt politicians themselves will not want this to be enforced as then they cannot do the corruption in the election process.

How can it be easily implemented? im a newbie when it comes to blockchain/cryptocurrencies but if i understand correctly, the whole point of using blockchain for, lets say voting in presidential election, would be to guarantee its not controlled by a centralized authority, its rather a decentralized system that protects from rigging the results.

For that first of all you would need miners (who would ideally insure the network stays tampering proof), who in turn need to have an incentive for mining. This alone might open the door for 50% attacks if there is any kind of outside government influence/interference

Secondly, you need a way to prevent a single individual from creating multiple "wallets" and voting more than once. Keep in mind that any kind of decentralized identity verification info would be recorded on the blockchain, which runs the risk of people finding out the identity of the voters and who they voted for

lastly you have to keep in mind that for this to work, you have to guarantee people having enough technical knowledge, are connected to the internet, protected against electricity cuts, etc..

again, these are the first things that come to my mind (as a newbie), some of those issues might have solutions already that im not aware of
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: