Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:22:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so complicated to buy Bitcoins from Canada  (Read 1877 times)
sashathorn (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:07:47 PM

I still can't figure out how to buy bit coins and I've been reserarching for days. I live in Canada.  I was told I neeeded to set up an account with Canadian Virtual Exchange then take the account info to one of the 3 major banks here, where I would make a cash deposit to Ca VirEX.

So I took the info with the account number etc to Royal Bank of Canada and the teller and his supervisor didn't know what the hell I was talking about. They hadn't even heard of bit coin, even though on the CanVirtEx site they are listed as a client bank that deals with bitcoins.

So I'm still at a loss as to how to actually buy bitcoins. All the forum threads I've read are cloudy and confusing.

Can anyone clarify for me this process? I'm surprised it so convoluted.  Cry

Thanks in advance
Sasha
Masqurin

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:15:11 PM

You don't have to mention bitcoin or anything, just give them CaVirtex's account details (see https://www.cavirtex.com/deposit_info?bank=RBC for RBC) plus your own account number and tell them you want to deposit into that account. Make sure you created a deposit order in your account first though, you have to make sure it's the correct amount so they know to credit it to you when they receive it.

Follow the instructions here under cash payment: https://www.cavirtex.com/methods#cad_deposit
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:31:15 PM

It's not complicated at all. Canadianbitcoins.com is dead simple.

Direct cash deposit via several canadian banks, as well as other payment options. fast service, friendly staff, good customer service.

of course, they seem to have no bitcoin in stock at the moment..first time i've ever seen them unable to sell, actually, in the 7 months i've done business with them.

jrlichtman

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 05:41:54 PM

I'm using Virtex. They have an account now with something called Taype, which you can send money to from your banking portal as if you were paying a bill; the problem is that is can take a few days for the money to arrive, which is frustrating (particularly when BTC is rising rapidly).
sashathorn (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 07:54:56 PM

Arrrite. Thanks guys. I get it now. Grin
sashathorn (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:07:42 PM

You don't have to mention bitcoin or anything, just give them CaVirtex's account details (see https://www.cavirtex.com/deposit_info?bank=RBC for RBC) plus your own account number and tell them you want to deposit into that account. Make sure you created a deposit order in your account first though, you have to make sure it's the correct amount so they know to credit it to you when they receive it.

Follow the instructions here under cash payment: https://www.cavirtex.com/methods#cad_deposit

Hey Masqurin, one thing to clarify. When you say give RBC my own account number as well, you mean the account number that CaVirEx generated when I created an account with the, right? The "Taype" account number?

There is a "Taype" account number and a "VirEX" Account number. Which is which?

Then there is also a super-duper longass 34 digit number that was also give to me from VirEX. What's the difference between all these numbers?

Thanks again for your help.

Wompaone

Activity: 24

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:09:02 PM

I assume it's similar to the UK
DK7

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:17:19 PM

I assume it's similar to the UK
And many EU countries, I suppose.
txoomy

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:38:58 AM

Just go to https://www.bitcoinscanada.ca
xgf666

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:40:09 AM

Aparently it seems that Canada doesn't have good exchanger :/

Here is a guy who came to the same conclusion: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/17wmol/ask_bitcoin_i_want_to_start_a_bitcoin_exchange/

I hope that you will find what you are looking for !
TreePot

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:28:33 AM

It's not complicated at all. Canadianbitcoins.com is dead simple.

Direct cash deposit via several canadian banks, as well as other payment options. fast service, friendly staff, good customer service.

of course, they seem to have no bitcoin in stock at the moment..first time i've ever seen them unable to sell, actually, in the 7 months i've done business with them.

Thanks alot dude, I wasnt aware about this website...
neuronet

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:58:00 AM

I had the same problem as you my friend.  So all you need to do is create an account with LibertyBit.  They allow email-interact transfers/ E-interact email transfers.  Cost is $1.50 usually depending where you bank.  24 hours later voila money funded in your LibertyBit account.  BTC prices from my experiences have been lower on LIbertybit vs Virtex.  Virtex transaction fees are a cash grab at 1% while Libertybit is only 0.03%.

Oh and btw you can also E-Interact withdraw as well!! Tried it and works like a charm.  If only Mt.Gox and others offered this service.....
jrlichtman

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 11:55:48 AM

I had the same problem as you my friend.  So all you need to do is create an account with LibertyBit.  They allow email-interact transfers/ E-interact email transfers.  Cost is $1.50 usually depending where you bank.  24 hours later voila money funded in your LibertyBit account.  BTC prices from my experiences have been lower on LIbertybit vs Virtex.  Virtex transaction fees are a cash grab at 1% while Libertybit is only 0.03%.

Oh and btw you can also E-Interact withdraw as well!! Tried it and works like a charm.  If only Mt.Gox and others offered this service.....

Looks like they're raised their fees actually, but that's still convenient, since they do interac transfers for both withdrawals and deposits. If I'm not mistaken, Virtex only does interac withdrawals.
neuronet

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:41:49 PM

Looks like they're raised their fees actually, but that's still convenient, since they do interac transfers for both withdrawals and deposits. If I'm not mistaken, Virtex only does interac withdrawals.

They literally just changed there fees within the last day or so.  Wow~business is booming i guess.
sashathorn (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:31:52 PM

Liberty does look abit easier to work with then CanVirEX. I opened an account with them but can anyone tell me how exactly I send them money? I read all their funding options but I don't see any actual account info and details for me to send money to...

What is the account/banking info that I need to send the money to? Where is that info hiding?

Sorry if these ultra newbie questions are annoying but I'm totally brand new at this.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sasha
sashathorn (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:03:21 PM

Whoa. Why is BitC price on Liberty Exchange $7 more than everyone else? Seems to undo any benefit of their lower transaction fees no?
Surpbitcoin

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:06:34 PM

Whoa. Why is BitC price on Liberty Exchange $7 more than everyone else? Seems to undo any benefit of their lower transaction fees no?

Just use cavirtex or canadianbitcoins.com

Its the best, fastest and most importantly there trusted ways of buying and selling BTC.

Take the time to figure it out and you'll be buying and selling in no time.
talz0r

Activity: 43

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:33:54 AM

I've used Canvirtex to buy btc twice.   Both times it was just a matter of going to the bank and handing over the cash with the info provided by the canvirtex deposit request and bam.. about 3-4 hours later I had money on the exchange and was able to get my btc.  <3
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:23:42 AM

CA virtex is great for converting BTC to CDN, EFT deposit is nice and fast. It is harder to buy BTC, I don't like all the info you have to give. It gives me incentive to mine more so I don't have to buy BTC with fiat.
adamcol

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:37:20 AM

Hands down the easiest way is https://QuickBT.com

It takes about 30 seconds and uses your Interac card.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: