Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:20:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Estimate how long you have held bitcoins before spending or selling them?
1 hour - 2 (2%)
1 day - 2 (2%)
1 week - 6 (6%)
1 month - 17 (17%)
1 year - 27 (27%)
Forever (I mined all my bitcoins in 2009 and I havn't spent any) - 25 (25%)
I have never held bitcoins - 3 (3%)
I like cheese - 18 (18%)
Total Voters: 100

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How long do you hold your bitcoins?  (Read 2178 times)
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:33:23 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2013, 06:27:16 PM by Peter Lambert

I know this might be hard to estimate, and the numbers are skewed by the small history of bitcoins, and the choices are rather granular, but I thought this might be useful.

What I am looking for is the velocity of bitcoins through us. By knowing the velocity of a typical user, we can then estimate what effect adding more users will have.

Think of your entire history with bitcoins, try to roughly estimate the length you held an average bitcoin from the time you received it to the time you spent it.

For example:

- if you send all your bitcoins immediately to an exchange to sell or when you buy something with bitcoins you buy just enough for that purchase, then you would pick "1 hour"
- if you mine bitcoins and once a week send all your earnings to an exchange and cash out, then you would pick "1 week".
- if you bought 2 bitcoins a couple months ago, spent one immediately and are still holding the other, then you would pick "1 month"
- if you have a huge stash from a couple years ago, and you buy small amounts and spend small amounts then you would pick "1 year" since the bulk of your holdings is longer term.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:00:46 PM

I plan to hold until Bitcoin is fully adopted as online currency or dead. It's kinda lottery ticket stuff that way, losing never hurts  Roll Eyes

drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 06:38:20 PM

I plan to hold until Bitcoin is fully adopted as online currency or dead. It's kinda lottery ticket stuff that way, losing never hurts  Roll Eyes

This is the way I have talked about it to people.

They spend money on lottery tickets, when a well timed $5 purchase into bitcoins could achieve a similar end.

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:46:19 AM

Same here. Im holding at least until I can purchase goods and services easily with bitcoin

yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 12:48:35 AM

Signed.

zoinky

Activity: 811

Web Developer

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:08:29 AM

If it dies, I would not mind having a piece of history.  If it succeeds, it sure as hell beats a loaded bank account.
Bitcoinassasin

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:13:05 AM

From a miner perspective, or a bullish market player perspective?
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 01:33:58 AM

I will buy things with my bitcoins.

As for big "sells"...I will some day pay off my house with a small portion of my bitcoins. Hopefully before that happens I can find a mortgage company that will take payments in bitcoins.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Lazer

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:13:09 AM

I'm holding until there is stability or I can afford to buy that private island in the tropics.
BitcoinTate

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:14:01 AM

I'm holding until there is stability or I can afford to buy that private island in the tropics.
+1

- aka The "DigiMan"
fr33d0miz3r

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:18:41 AM

I'm preparing a website that will show charts of how many bitcoins in the system are being held unspent and how old are they.
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:19:29 AM

How would you convince aborigines chief to give you that island? You show him your paper wallet instead of glass jewelry??

BitcoinTate

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:21:04 AM

How would you convince aborigines chief to give you that island? You show him your paper wallet instead of glass jewelry??
And he say "hmmm fire kindling"

- aka The "DigiMan"
ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:22:00 AM

Forever, and ever, you'll stay in my wallet and I won't spend you!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtBbyglq37E

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:33:13 AM

For the longest time.
buddhacoiner

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:39:03 AM

i've purchased for the long haul.  no brainer for me.  even if we crash down to $1 (not happening) i'll hold and six months later they'll be at $500
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:47:44 AM

That's an alarming amount of cheese lovers on this site.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:27:21 AM

I plan to hold until Bitcoin is fully adopted as online currency or dead. It's kinda lottery ticket stuff that way, losing never hurts  Roll Eyes
Agreed. Though unlike lottery tickets it's a classical black swan bet, as you can't know the odds, the downside is limited and and the upside is unlimited.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:43:32 AM

That's an alarming amount of cheese lovers on this site.

Don't worry, I also hired software development and paid in BTC; exactly what BTC is meant for. Fast enough, no hassle, no blockades. Will do it again if needed.

Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:44:36 PM

From a miner perspective, or a bullish market player perspective?

I am not sure I understand your question? This does not really have anything to do with mining, and little to do with the bullish market, it is more of a retrospective look at your previous bitcoin actions. However you got the bitcoins in the past, on average, how long did you hold onto them before you sold them/spent them/lost them?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: