Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:44:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trezor not found with Electrum 2.7.11 on Win 10  (Read 667 times)
hekiman (OP)

Activity: 237
Merit: 114

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 06:29:03 PM

Hi there!

I bought a new trezor and tried to use it with Electrum on Win10. Installed TrezorBridge, updated Firmware and started myTrezor web wallet. Everything looks fine.

When starting Electrum it doesn't offer me a "Hardware device".

Trezor support couldnt help me, they said its a problem of Electrum because myTrezor works fine.

On my old Win7 PC Electrum and trezor have no problem.

Is it the same old problem as here? https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1534723.0

Filehoster anonym mit Bitcoins bezahlen: Volumenkontingent

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 03:11:37 AM

I am having an issue with Electrum detecting my Trezor. I select to create a new wallet, select hardware wallet
I do not know if it is passphrase related, but I did setup one passphrase.

I am running WIN10. I have the Chrome extension and bridge installed. (Is one preferred to be active?)
Overall I have been very happy with Electrum. I have been using it for a few months.
I have one item I consider to be serious. I believe if a software update / upgrade is released which corrects a serious flaw a message should be displayed notifying the user there is a potential security risk and the user should pay attention.

Obviously if I am unable to have my trezor working with Electrum I will be disappointed but I would still be pleased with Electrum... at least from my short end user viewpoint.

Anyway, as I am unsure how Electrum may handle single or multiple wallets protected with a passphrase I still have some looking around to do.

I recall seeing something mentioned in the Trezor Docs regarding enter the passphrase then dis & re connect the trezor to enter another passphrase for as many "wallets" you wish to have.

I have not yet sent coin to the Trezor, so again, I have a few avenues to investigate.

I welcome any comments and do appreciate your time.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2016, 02:50:47 PM

I am having an issue with Electrum detecting my Trezor. I select to create a new wallet, select hardware wallet

I am running WIN10. I have the Chrome extension and bridge installed. (Is one preferred to be active?)
Overall I have been very happy with Electrum. I have been using it for a few months.
I have one item I consider to be serious. I believe if a software update / upgrade is released which corrects a serious flaw a message should be displayed notifying the user there is a potential security risk and the user should pay attention.

Obviously if I am unable to have my trezor working with Electrum I will be disappointed but I would still be pleased with Electrum... at least from my short end user viewpoint.

Anyway, as I am unsure how Electrum may handle single or multiple wallets protected with a passphrase I still have some looking around to do.

I recall seeing something mentioned in the Trezor Docs regarding enter the passphrase then dis & re connect the trezor to enter another passphrase for as many "wallets" you wish to have.

I have not yet sent coin to the Trezor, so again, I have a few avenues to investigate.

sloopy is Trezor working with myTrezor.com? With the new firmware update Win10 sometimes does not recognize the trezor and you have to follow these steps:

Press Win + X to open command line
    Type: devmgmt.msc and hit Enter
    Device manager window will appear
    Find “Other devices” and click on it with right button
    Choose “Update driver software”

Hope this helps.

Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 09:32:45 PM

Sloopy,

First let me say that I struggled to get Trezor and Electrum to play together too.  My situation was different than yours because I am a linux user.  It will be worth whatever effort you expend to get them working.  Electrum is beyond great and of course the Trezor provides that extra measure of security and other options.

I wanted to comment on the part of your post that I "quoted" above.  That is true.  ANY password that you use on a Trezor produces a valid wallet file to use with Electrum.  I use multiple wallets with many addresses within each one.  REMEMBER that if you passphrase protect a Trezor wallet, to restore from scratch you NEED the 24 word seed AND the passphrase you used.  Without both you lose your coins, and I mean they are GONE!

Next, realize that your connection to the Electrum servers provide an IP to that server.  Its how the internet works.  If you use the same IP (connection) for every wallet it would be possible to build a connection to that same user.  YOU in this case.  If that is relevant to you (some users do NOT need anonymity or even want it), I would suggest you connect to the Electrum onion servers via TOR.  I have found some really fast servers running SSD's and fast hardware.  Frankly the process is lightning through the onion systems I use.  Just food for thought.

ps - I don't know if you are a large coin holder but if you have concerns for your safety while carrying a Trezor, you do have options.  Try creating a couple of decoy wallets with small coin amounts in them to display under duress.  There is NO way for a thug to know how many wallets a Trezor protects.

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
sloopy

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 05:14:22 PM

sloopy is Trezor working with myTrezor.com? With the new firmware update Win10 sometimes does not recognize the trezor and you have to follow these steps:

Hope this helps.

I apologize for my late reply. I have not had any issues connecting to my Trezor using myTrezor.com

Thanks for your time

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
sloopy

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 05:21:31 PM

Sloopy,

First let me say that I struggled to get Trezor and Electrum to play together too.  My situation was different than yours because I am a linux user.  It will be worth whatever effort you expend to get them working.  Electrum is beyond great and of course the Trezor provides that extra measure of security and other options.

I wanted to comment on the part of your post that I "quoted" above.  That is true.  ANY password that you use on a Trezor produces a valid wallet file to use with Electrum.  I use multiple wallets with many addresses within each one.  REMEMBER that if you passphrase protect a Trezor wallet, to restore from scratch you NEED the 24 word seed AND the passphrase you used.  Without both you lose your coins, and I mean they are GONE!

Next, realize that your connection to the Electrum servers provide an IP to that server.  Its how the internet works.  If you use the same IP (connection) for every wallet it would be possible to build a connection to that same user.  YOU in this case.  If that is relevant to you (some users do NOT need anonymity or even want it), I would suggest you connect to the Electrum onion servers via TOR.  I have found some really fast servers running SSD's and fast hardware.  Frankly the process is lightning through the onion systems I use.  Just food for thought.

ps - I don't know if you are a large coin holder but if you have concerns for your safety while carrying a Trezor, you do have options.  Try creating a couple of decoy wallets with small coin amounts in them to display under duress.  There is NO way for a thug to know how many wallets a Trezor protects.

Excellent information here. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I understand the passphrase and the seed are required to restore. As a matter of fact I wanted to purchase a Cryptosteel wallet to store those together in a "super-secret" location but was told I would need to purchase two, but that it is not recommended to store those two things together (passphrase and seed).
I disagree with that thought process as my passphrases which store the bulk of my coin will intentionally not be something I can remember. I will remember the ones with small amounts of BTC. As a matter of principle I am not purchasing two of the Cryptosteel wallets. I plan to create my own equivalent component.  I have a Fab shop and do not need as many letters / numbers as one would to make a generic slate for anyone.

I suppose I lok at the passphrase for different functionality.

I appreciate you mentioning this: ANY password that you use on a Trezor produces a valid wallet file to use with Electrum

While the documentation is good, this was not clear until I added multiple passphrases.

Thanks again.

Coin-Keeper

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 06:30:30 PM

That feature on the Trezor is fantastic.  Thomas, is also to be thanked publicly for designing Electrum to operate so well with the Trezor.  Part of planning is to know that IF your Trezor was lost, broken, whatever, you can still get your coins back.  I have personally restored a few Trezor wallets using Electrum (my seed and passphrases) alone and they all came back perfectly.  Subsequently I made all new wallets after resetting the Trezor, but I had to experience it to know for sure.  It truly works well using Electrum alone if the need ever presents itself.  So, thanks again Thomas for the great software.  You rock!!

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
sloopy

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 12:20:25 AM

Unfortunately, I am still unable to have Electrum create a new wallet using the Trezor.
It does not seem to see it.

I am building a new system this weekend. I will be comfortable trying it there. I don't like to stick my Trezor in any old place even though there wouldn't be an issues. Smiley

If anyone has any other ways I may troubleshoot this I would be most appreciative.

Happy
Thanksgiving.

It is great to have a forum to ask these types of things.

sloopy

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 01:03:55 AM

Hope this helps.

What drivers do I use?
Auto isn't finding anything.

Thanks

Punter10

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2016, 04:33:46 AM

I had the same issue with 2.7.12 and a Trezor on Windows 10. Trezor worked fine at mytrezor.com and also worked fine with electrum on a Windows 7 machine, just did not like Windows 10.

However I fixed it by getting Windows 10 to forget the Trezor and redetect it by running a utility USBDeview ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html ).

It shows a list of connected USB devices and can be sorted by last plugged in making it obvious which device was the Trezor, right clicked and uninstalled the device. Then plugged the Trezor back in, Windows re-detected it. and everything worked properly.

My suspicion is that updating the firmware somehow confused Windows, as the Trezor was working fine before I updated. All works now though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: