Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:36:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 calls a day from large asset managers looking to invest up to $100m.  (Read 10401 times)
jinni

Activity: 255
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:31:12 PM

Financial Times is reporting:

"Exante predicted that public and media interest would take off when Bitcoins were trading at $100. Managing partner Gatis Eglitis claims they are now getting 20 calls a day from large asset managers looking to invest up to $100m."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b4be7d8e-9c73-11e2-9a4b-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2PRJpnZqI

Hope mtgox solves its ddos attacks first.

I can't help thinking this Maltese guy Gatis Eglitis is somehow exaggerating the interest he gets. It seems his name is being spread all over the internet, especially following the FT-article. If someone wants to invest in Bitcoin, why buy a fund? Why not just transfer some money into an exchange and buy it yourself. And if you want to invest a $100m and need some help why not get Goldman Sachs to help you instead of some brokerage from Malta set up a few years ago that nobody has heard of before they started selling Bitcoin funds...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:47:45 PM

Also, a currency without  a high level of inflation would do wonders for the enviroment and global warming if accepted globally.
Not quite getting the link there, sorry :\

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Manticore

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:18:13 PM

Financial Times is reporting:

"Exante predicted that public and media interest would take off when Bitcoins were trading at $100. Managing partner Gatis Eglitis claims they are now getting 20 calls a day from large asset managers looking to invest up to $100m."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/b4be7d8e-9c73-11e2-9a4b-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz2PRJpnZqI

Hope mtgox solves its ddos attacks first.

I can't help thinking this Maltese guy Gatis Eglitis is somehow exaggerating the interest he gets. It seems his name is being spread all over the internet, especially following the FT-article. If someone wants to invest in Bitcoin, why buy a fund? Why not just transfer some money into an exchange and buy it yourself. And if you want to invest a $100m and need some help why not get Goldman Sachs to help you instead of some brokerage from Malta set up a few years ago that nobody has heard of before they started selling Bitcoin funds...

Even he admits to starting it for fun, nothing too serious (with small $1000 subscriptions). He's probably getting a few phone calls simply because it's been in the news lately, but unlikely it they will ever proceed past the preliminaries. The only reason someone would start a fund is because other funds & institutions need a structure in which to invest (most can't invest directly for various reasons). And non-tech savvy individuals might invest simply because the fund offers secure cold storage, they don't want to deal with Gox, and they would at least have some level of recourse.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:46:04 PM

Also, a currency without  a high level of inflation would do wonders for the enviroment and global warming if accepted globally.

If a deflationary spiral were to happen, people would survive, eat, and do the essentials, they would stop investing in Oil and resource mining as the demand would drop, the resulting economic slowdown however would be of net benefit to the environment.  

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1017

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:08:07 PM

A deflationary currency encourages saving and prevents brainless consumerism, while an inflationary currency encourages the opposite as the currency itself dilutes its value in time.

Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:16:41 PM

If a deflationary spiral were to happen, people would survive, eat, and do the essentials, they would stop investing in Oil and resource mining as the demand would drop, the resulting economic slowdown however would be of net benefit to the environment.  
I have a really hard time believing that.

Take technology. The inflation in CPU power easily outweighs the inflation of the USD, and any phone you could buy today you could buy tomorrow for cheaper. But people buy things today anyhow, because people like things NOW, not in a week from now.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:14:59 PM

@Kazu

sure that's why an economy will not totally collapse. let's exaggerate the principle to see the environmental benefits :

it is better to go into debt to buy a $300,000 house when we have price inflation in 10 years your house is worth $400,000, you win. (environment suffers more energy and resources went in to building it now.)

with price deflation you would be better off saving now to buy the same house in 10 years for $200,000, you defer consumption the environment is better off.

with a static money supply price deflation is a result of over production and price inflation is a result of under production. deflation slows economic growth, a slowing in the rate of growth is good for the environment.

deferred consumption can be perpetuated in 10 years you may hold out for a $100,000 house equivalent to that of the $300,000 house in an economy with price inflation. this lack of consumption is considered bad in conventional economics.

ln actually it is the free market investing resources appropriately. with price inflation you may encourage people to build and buy homes they can not afford, they will be repossessed become derelict and ultimately a negative cost on the environment all because they could not predict the future, but using the same greed motive with deflating prices an inability to predict the future does not negatively impact the environment.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 02:09:24 AM

what did you expect?

I kind of expected this, because I know that even skeptics will come to appreciate how brilliant Bitcoin is when they bother to learn in detail about it.

personally I'm starting to doubt bitcoin abit because it requires someone to pay for Energy forever and in increasing amounts to keep it alive

I don't think this is an issue. One reason being that highly efficient ASICs will soon be doing all the mining.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:37:28 AM

what did you expect?

I kind of expected this, because I know that even skeptics will come to appreciate how brilliant Bitcoin is when they bother to learn in detail about it.

personally I'm starting to doubt bitcoin abit because it requires someone to pay for Energy forever and in increasing amounts to keep it alive

I don't think this is an issue. One reason being that highly efficient ASICs will soon be doing all the mining.

Yes.  That, and it is not ever increasing.  Not only will the reward for mining shrink, mining only grows when price grows.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:58:14 PM

Heading to $150. Smiley

Please. It will be $1000 by the 15th.

Bump.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:59:15 PM

It seriously does look that we MAY see quadruple digits before June.

(BFL)^2 < 0
thebaron

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:05:36 PM

You're severely underestimating what media coverage of breaking the $200 mark is about to do.
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 03:05:54 PM

You're severely underestimating what media coverage of breaking the $200 mark is about to do.

especially in so short of a time
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:58:49 PM

And YOU, sir, are severely underestimating the metering power of the MtGox queue!   Cheesy
blockbet.net

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Admin at blockbet.net

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 04:05:30 PM

Take technology. The inflation in CPU power easily outweighs the inflation of the USD, and any phone you could buy today you could buy tomorrow for cheaper. But people buy things today anyhow, because people like things NOW, not in a week from now.

If you look at the iPhone or the Galaxy S, they're pretty much at fixed prices all the way until a new model comes out, and I suppose so are the iPads etc. Mobile phones are starting to be so powerful and versatile that they don't really need much in the way of new features any more.

Now, people are still going to spend money on a nice phone even if it's not absolutely necessary, but hopefully they will stop to think for a moment if it really makes sense to buy a new phone every year. This can only be a good thing, even if those companies would make less of a profit that way.

Bitcoin Sports Betting online at www.blockbet.net, featuring NBA, NHL, UFC, football (soccer) and international competitions. Fast payouts directly to your wallet, great win odds, no need to register or deposit. Bet in just a few clicks now!
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:25:14 PM

The saturation in the phone market is already there. Hardware is dead with perfect Android phones for $125 from China. Only in terms of camera I still see some room for actual progress. I carry a 2010 Android phone and don't feel like I need something newer. I think more people will switch to this approach in the future and really stick to their phone for at least 2-4 years.

mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 06:28:34 PM

The saturation in the phone market is already there. Hardware is dead with perfect Android phones for $125 from China. Only in terms of camera I still see some room for actual progress. I carry a 2010 Android phone and don't feel like I need something newer. I think more people will switch to this approach in the future and really stick to their phone for at least 2-4 years.

Well, as a college student, we tend to go through 2-3 phones a year, mostly because we get drunk and drop them in the keg can.

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
Gordonium

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:28:56 PM

Never underestimate the power of technology and innovation.
bitsalame
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:30:51 PM

what did you expect?

Is there another currency that doesn't?
USD doesnt need a permanent inflow of ever increasing Energy to keep it's perceived value alive

Ok, lets go to wall street and burn all their fuses.
Lets see how well it goes.
thebaron

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:22:16 PM

And YOU, sir, are severely underestimating the metering power of the MtGox queue!   Cheesy

Ah, but I have a...feeling Bitcoins are about to become a lot easier for people to purchase.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: