Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:10:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum shows TWO trezor device options when setting up wallet  (Read 661 times)
Coin-Keeper (OP)

Activity: 758
Merit: 606

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 09:07:14 PM

The thread title may be confusing.

Its been awhile since I setup a new wallet but I was looking around today.  Using the latest version of Electrum I went to setup a wallet using my already initialized Trezor.  While I was setting up the new wallet I told Electrum it was a hardware wallet.  The next screen popped up and it displayed TWO separate device options (already initialized) to pick from ------- > (tick boxes).  Next to the option to select was of course the "name" of my device, which I setup during initialization.  Also Electrum clearly shows they are initialized already.

The Trezor and Electrum are functioning perfectly.  I am just scratching my head as to why I see two options to select.  They appear the same and regardless of which I select the wallet generated is perfect.  Also the same addresses of course with either option ticked.

All my wallets are working fine and if I didn't attempt to create a new wallet I would not know anything was less then perfect.

Should I even care about this?  I thought about deleting Electrum and then re-installing it but I thought I would ask here to see if others have ever experienced this??

BTC: 1PYSBbuKM3kW19xe9TXJQfq64rPhd8XorF
Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dsattler
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2016, 09:54:18 PM

Yes, I had the same! I've used the first option and it worked for a while.
Today I've received "error connecting" when I loaded electrum. I've tried several times and also rebooted my pc, but no luck connecting with my trezor. Because I had to do a transaction for a trade, I've finally used the mytrezor website, which worked fine. I wonder if this has something to do with the latest windows 10 update I've received because right before that, the combo electrum/trezor worked perfectly.  Huh

Bitcointalk member since 2013! Smiley
Stein

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 11:32:42 AM
Last edit: October 30, 2016, 11:51:07 AM by Stein

Same thing happening to me. I installed the new Electrum and it asked me if I wanted to split my Trezor into two wallets. I said no.
It opened my default wallet and when I went to FILE>RECENTLY OPENED>TREZOR it is giving me the dialogue for a new wallet.
If I go through the process to enter in my seed it can't see the Trezor at all. It just keeps saying, "No Hardware Device Detected. To Trigger a rescan, press next"

My Trezor.com is working. Freaked out for a second there..Whew...

EDIT:

After messing around a bit it seems that my wallet was renamed Trezor.0 and Trezor.1
Trezor.1 is blank
Trezor.0 is my old Trezor Wallet and it shows all my transactions correctly

Neither can connect to my Trezor
Coin-Keeper (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 08:22:38 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2016, 09:03:35 PM by Coin-Keeper

I find this situation discomforting.  All is working perfectly as far as transactions.  Since I struggled installing hidapi to get Trezor recognized I am pretty sure this is operator error on my part.  My Debian VM presented a battle to get Trezor and Electrum playing together.  Its slick now, but offering me a choice between two Trezors when I have only used one on this machine.  It is head scratching!

Thomas, if you are reading along is there a place where I can run this down?  Perhaps a module or part of electrum that might contain two files, where there should be one?  Since I am in a VM I have no fear of trying whatever, because I can snapshot back if I "stumble".

As a side note; Electrum and TOR really play well together.  I have found a few lightning fast onion servers on the electrum "system".  So now I have Trezor, Electrum, and onion servers all making the complete team.  Really nice.

Just this one little annoyance with offering double options for the Trezor.   Hmmmm?

ps - works great, just a fluke because I wanted to experiment with a wallet creation.

Staked and Verified: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=996318.msg17102755#msg17102755
Coin-Keeper (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 08:35:13 PM
Last edit: November 01, 2016, 09:04:25 PM by Coin-Keeper

Just had a thought:   Can a few of you try this and report here when you are sitting on your Trezor and Electrum?

Many Trezor users go months and months without setting up a new wallet once you get your scheme all up and running.  I discovered my situation by messing around with creating a new wallet.  Perhaps you could grab your Trezor (while using Electrum) and attempt to create a new wallet using 2.7.11 (current version).  When you tell Electrum its a hardware wallet, are you presented with only ONE device choice on the next screen?  Unfortunately I see two.  I am especially attentive to those on Linux, but any intel would be good at this point.  Thanks in advance.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: