Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:12:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change addresses and wallet backups  (Read 763 times)
BladeMcCool (OP)

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 01:49:04 AM

I am wondering how to know if the keys for the addresses that are used to receive the "change" from the transactions are included in my backups? I am concerned that even though I may never create "new" addresses by clicking "new address" in the "receive coins" window, that I may end up sending a transaction and having the change go to an address that is not in my backups, and then suffer hardware failure and lost funds as a result.

I am trying to put my mind at ease without having to make new backups after every single transaction, or sweep funds to an address that I know is in the backups after every single transaction. Any information on the matter would be appreciated.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:07:04 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Key_pool

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 04:14:01 AM

By default the "key pool" is 100 and assuming every send you do requires a change address then provided you had backed up around 100 tx's prior to your current one then they will all be able to be recovered.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:19:30 AM

To be really safe, do a backup after every transaction. After every 100 transactions is less often, but if you forget, the 101st transaction can end up costing you all your coins. If you make a successful backup after that, then you have a good backup for the next 100 transactions.

I personally make a backup after every 50 transactions, and it gives me room to forget and make another backup at 51 to 99 transactions.

After several hundred transactions, or whenever I feel like it, (maybe below 1000), I'd just consolidate all my coins and send them all to a brand new wallet.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 04:23:49 AM

I also pretty much do a backup after every tx - I also save my source code after every line changed and do git pushes generally after every commit.

Smiley

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:54:12 AM

A daily backup is only 365 files for a year. If your wallet is about 1 megabyte, that's only 365 megabytes. All files older than that, you can safely discard.

My office computers have this little scheduled task that backs up important work files every middle of the day, to another computer in the network. I don't even have a "server", they just back up to each other.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: