Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:00:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN Mt.Gox] It’s been an epic few days: What happened?  (Read 3975 times)
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:02:20 PM

Also the trade engine should be written in java or python.

Why?

I would like the trade engine to be written in Haskell, Erlang or some flavor of Lisp. Just because a functional language makes it easier to keep the code clean of unintended consequences. Also, Java is very bloaty, not a good thing for high performance code.

However, I understand sometimes compromise is necessary.

You can run java very lean if you know what your doing and not adding a hundred libraries to it. But this is one of those flame wars that will start cause you like those languages better, in any case what ever language would be better.

Also the trade engine should be written in java or python.

Why?

I would like the trade engine to be written in Haskell, Erlang or some flavor of Lisp. Just because a functional language makes it easier to keep the code clean of unintended consequences. Also, Java is very bloaty, not a good thing for high performance code.

However, I understand sometimes compromise is necessary.

A high performance trade engine should be written in C/C++, simple as that.

Again this is what language you like better, and will probably start a flame war. Also C/C++ if they don't know what they are doing can have massive memory leaks with all that data.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mylon

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Mining FTW

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:10:10 AM

The point is that when merely using UDP, unlike TCP, the source can block ALL incoming traffic which makes it immune to DDoS. As casascius points out, UDP is like a radio broadcast signal. TCP is like the postal service with delivery confirmation.

At what level do you propose blocking the incoming traffic?

Before it comes within miles of the host sending it.  After not informing the public who the UDP is coming from.

The UDP sending address doesn't have to be public knowledge, since not anyone can necessarily subscribe to it.  It would be a private UDP feed only offered to specific known sites.  The UDP feed would be used to drive the services of other sites who currently get it via websocket now, who in turn could provide that data to other downstream TCP websocket clients.
Also MtGox could take a position on my UDP streams idea, which could be any of the following without commitment:

a) Great idea, we haven't thought of it, and you're right, it would totally get information out immune to DDoS, we'll consider it but like anything else will take time
b) Great idea, but we don't agree it would work as well as you think it will, or for (specific technical reason) won't work on our platform
c) We haven't got a clue as to what this means
d) I don't have a clue what this means because I'm not a developer or tech guy myself, but I have relayed your suggestion to someone more technical, and he says (response).  (Hopefully this suggestion is more valuable than to merely forward it blindly like the latest facebook meme, since MtGox's reputation is suffering and this will actually solve the claimed issue at hand)

Just to be clear, using UDP to broadcast ticker data would be, for all intents and purposes, IMMUNE from DDoS attacks, because such a stream consists solely of outbound traffic which is not influenced by inbound traffic.  Unlike a normal stream, there is no inbound overhead for packets to acknowledge or to keep the connection in sync, packets which can be drowned out in a DDoS attack.  UDP is much more like a point-to-point radio broadcast: the signal gets sent from point A to B even if nobody's listening

I don't think you understand how DDoS works on this level. Your UDP stream would have to have a source, which would have to have an IP, which then would get flooded to crap. It's the routers that pop, not the machines.
Yup as working as in ITer in a DC, if they want to hit you with DDoS a lot of tricks work, till they either flood the lines or bring down the router of the DC, where you are at. Once they hit that point, there is no stopping it. And even though the real big DC's have a dozen of 10gbit lines, at some point it just stops. (A month back we saw an DDoS we saw a DDoS peak of 250gbit hit... what do you do about it... you null the IP at your carriers. (making the site unavailable))
Though when hackers/botnets are attacking in this type of volume, there is nothing that can really save you, the only way to minimize, is host global, all with loads of overcapacity, high performance routers and heavy duty DDoS firewalls. This is the only way to truly mitigate most of them. (if they attack from US, only the US DC will get hit, and EMEA and Asia will hopefully keep running smooth, same goes for both other regions when under attack)

DDoS is one of the most difficult things to combat, purely because its nature is to flood the network, hence extra capacity would be needed to combat this. (you can't buy 100gbit of network speed when doing 1gbit of traffic just because you might get hit with a DDoS up to 100gbit... and what if they DDoS you with 101gbit?) Seeing what DDoS botnetworks have been capable of, these days you are technically not safe with anything under 2tbit.... (highest I've seen was 1.3tbit) well if your in the hosting business, you know what a 10gbit uplink costs, multiply by 200, subtract 30% a month... while it would only take a botnet of half a million with 20mbit connection to push that same DDoS out. (known botnets have been found with more then 300k bots) And then I'm not even talking about some infected webserver, on a gbit connection to the internet, that can start to DDoS as part of a botnet... (only takes a 1000 of these to get a 1tbit)

Still I think Mt.Gox can do better, DDoS can't always be completely prevent, but bot lagg time in triple digit seconds as shown earlier in the thread... that should've been impossible imo. Get that security ramped up and make sure everything is running efficient. Know you get hit by DDoS on regular basis, and apply as much pre-emptive mitigation methods as possible.

"All Your Base Are Belong To Us" by CATS
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:10:39 AM

+1 to the private UDP broadcast idea.

Further, there has been talk off and on (by myself, and others) about a "backbone network" where Big Players privately and directly interconnect, for reasons similar to this.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:34:49 AM

Further, there has been talk off and on (by myself, and others) about a "backbone network" where Big Players privately and directly interconnect, for reasons similar to this.

I'd also suggest Tor hidden services, and using private hidden service URLs that are different for each partner. The URL's don't give any information about the network topology, and if any individual URL is compromised and DoS attacked the individual URL can easily be taken down. Even URL's for individual high-volume traders would be feasible, although, keep in mind I'm no Tor expert so someone who knows more should weigh in before doing this. In particular what the Tor developers think of the attention and attacks it may attract.

In some cases using Amazon's infrastructure could work too. Amazon Simple Notification Service is essentially a DoS-resistant broadcast medium. Of course, it's central infrastructure, so not appropriate for every use, but  there is a lot of public information like price tickers that could use it. In any case information should be distributed though multiple methods.

Regardless of what is done, an important first step is to sign and timestamp all public information broadcasts so that regardless of where you got the data, you can verify it as being genuine; the current API does not appear to authenticate pricing information other than via https.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:11:43 PM

And it has been actually designed (correctly) and actually implemented (correctly), by people who actually matter and actually do things (unlike you + friends). Read it, because you must read it. Stop with the posturing, you are not part of the cool kids, you're a dork "working on a soft drink distribution system" with "some friends". It's called Coca-Cola, dummy. It's listed under KO. You're embarassing yourself.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
tarrant_01

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 03:05:31 PM

Digging up a slightly old thread...

I was curious if those 57,000+ accounts created recently are legitimite.  Obviously this information would inspire the price to go higher (and I believe it did help up to $266).  I could see it as another way to attack Gox by creating a bunch of false accounts and swamp their customer service.

Just a thought..

1P95gCUCw3Tjb7yyoYtW3ARZZQyTpFgk6H
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:15:50 PM

And it has been actually designed (correctly) and actually implemented (correctly), by people who actually matter and actually do things (unlike you + friends). Read it, because you must read it. Stop with the posturing, you are not part of the cool kids, you're a dork "working on a soft drink distribution system" with "some friends". It's called Coca-Cola, dummy. It's listed under KO. You're embarassing yourself.

wow, what a bitch!

I'm guessing the PR in your name is there for irony?

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: