Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:33:39 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help me learn how to accept bitcoins in my surf shops in Hawaii.  (Read 676 times)
kauaidog (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:16:17 AM

15 years on the radio as a talk show host.... this subject has me so intrigued. How can I accept these coins in my surf shops and small pizza shop. I am not a hacker genius and I am just over 50 so I am not a hotshot techno young buck... but I have been a techno junkie for years. I would love to be the first guy in the islands to accept these at my retail shops. Am I a nut? Please help. As I said, I am not a computer genius, but if I put my mind to it I can learn most things.
Mahalo and Aloha.
K.
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:22:07 AM

I'm heading your way (Kuaui) next month actually Cheesy   If I need to hire some equipment I'll make sure I have my wallet with me Wink
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:34:08 AM

15 years on the radio as a talk show host.... this subject has me so intrigued. How can I accept these coins in my surf shops and small pizza shop. I am not a hacker genius and I am just over 50 so I am not a hotshot techno young buck... but I have been a techno junkie for years. I would love to be the first guy in the islands to accept these at my retail shops. Am I a nut? Please help. As I said, I am not a computer genius, but if I put my mind to it I can learn most things.
Mahalo and Aloha.
K.

I cant tell you what you should do but i can tell you what i would do.

I would buy a dedicated android devise for the store. Nothing expensive you could even get a super cheap 50 dollar model off ebay. Keep this tablet behind the register where your employees all have easy access.

On the tablet download the app called blockchain and set up an account.

When ever someone wants to buy a product ring them up like you normally would and take the total and copy it into the dollar field on preev.com. Preev.com will tell you how many bitcoins you need to ask the customer for.

next you will hit the little button that looks like a pile of coins in the top right of the screen and in the btc field put in the number that you got from preev.com. This will generate a qr code that the customer can scan. If you watch the block chain app you will see the coins come into the wallet almost instantly and as long as its the correct amount than you are done.

*note* if someone comes in and tries to buy 10,000 dollars worth of equipment wait for atleast 1 confirmation or two before you let him walk out of the store

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
lukestokes

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 04:34:24 AM

I co-founded FoxyCart.com which is an ecommerce platform. You could use it for online purchases as well as in store purchases and we recently added Bitcoin support. If you get connected with a developer (we're built as a tool for developers), keep us in mind.

Good luck!

I grew up surfing Huntington Beach, CA and it would be awesome to see more surfers using Bitcoin. Smiley

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
PachucoBro

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 05:22:00 AM

At the moment I wouldn't dare accept BTC for something that cost you money. Such as actual retail products. Right now BTC fluctuates so much and could drive way down at any moment and you would lose out on your Cost of Goods Sold.

Now if say you sell surfing lessons or rentals... then maybe you could take BTC and roll the dice with trading BTC afterhours.

Also, if you aren't techie... might want to have someone who is to take care of things for you.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:07:53 PM

At the moment I wouldn't dare accept BTC for something that cost you money. Such as actual retail products. Right now BTC fluctuates so much and could drive way down at any moment and you would lose out on your Cost of Goods Sold.

Now if say you sell surfing lessons or rentals... then maybe you could take BTC and roll the dice with trading BTC afterhours.

Also, if you aren't techie... might want to have someone who is to take care of things for you.

he could always just convert it to usd on the spot.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
PachucoBro

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 11:41:48 PM

As I've mentioned in other threads... Businesses are run that way. They want payment processing that works for them... not make them work for payment processing.

Especially, in the OPs case where he is not Tech Savvy and is better at being the Surf Expert instead of the latest tech geek expert.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: