Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:49:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In light of Maria Success, a start your own chain guide  (Read 1470 times)
Walter Rothbard

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Bytecoin: 8VofSsbQvTd8YwAcxiCcxrqZ9MnGPjaAQm

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 02:22:51 PM

is not people just copying stupid ideas for their own greed partly the reason why we end up with a world like it is today?

No, "greed" is not the reason the world is in the mess it is in today.  The world is in this mess because of coercion.  "Greed" is just a disrespectful label to apply to people seeking their own good.  There is nothing wrong with people seeking their own good.  It is human nature that human wants are unlimited, and it is also the nature of things that pursuing the satisfaction of our wants causes us to benefit each other in the process.  The problem for the world comes in when people seek their own good using coercion, i.e., seeking their own good at the expense of others.  If I make $100 selling you something that you value at $120, then both of us have benefited from me pursuing my own good and you pursuing your own good, and it doesn't matter if my motivation was "greed" or not.  But if I simply take $100 from you, then you have obviously been harmed, and in the long-term I lose out on many profitable exchanges the two of us could have had in the future.

There was nothing inherently "greedy" about Satoshi starting Bitcoin.  I hope he profited from it.  Whether he did or not, he benefited us all.  The other blockchains may potentially benefit people, regardless of the creators' motivations.

and no doubt you may like making a mint off ur new coin u create,

I don't see how to make a mint off a new coin.  Nobody can guarantee the success of a new coin.  I've made peanuts off of Terracoin, but I keep investing it because I hope it will benefit me down the road.  I am taking a risk: Terracoin may fizzle out.  I am taking the same kind of risk that early Bitcoin adopters took, and the same risk any new altchain developers/investors are taking.

but how would you feel if you were on the receiving end of such a scam...

Who is on the "receiving end"?  I don't understand your terminology.  Are people who mine a new altchain on the "receiving end"?  People who buy the new coin?  If so, then if the creators mine or buy the new coin, does that mean they are on the receiving end of a scam, too?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: