Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:35:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: used btc miner  (Read 768 times)
Tyrantt (OP)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 12:28:29 PM

Ive seen some offers on ebay an online shops where people are selling used miners. Now, i was never into mining (with rigs), only small alt-coins but I like to know if investing in some used lower/medium poweer miners is worth anything? Or should I try to collect money and invest into a new one?

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lenoli

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 12:33:55 PM

Ive seen some offers on ebay an online shops where people are selling used miners. Now, i was never into mining (with rigs), only small alt-coins but I like to know if investing in some used lower/medium poweer miners is worth anything? Or should I try to collect money and invest into a new one?

it worst if you have free electric power, else, its useless, after halving, old miners becomes non profitable. before buying some old mines, i advice you to count your income and costs, analyze result and buy after it.

anyway, good luck and happy earning
Tyrantt (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 12:37:32 PM

Electricity ian't a problem, im asking if used miners are reliable at all considering the functionality, i mean you can fck up your GPU if it was used for mining so it can be weakened by it, is it the same with ASIC miners? Lets say I could get two used ones with medium power instead of the new one, could that make a profit?

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
Teraboy

Activity: 2282
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:06:32 PM

If you're wanna for investing in the lower or medium capacity of mining rig, totally it's depending with what the coins are you interested with?  
different coin will be different difficulty, if you're talking about for using the second hand mining rig, i can say that is already some old comparing with the new one in this time, the hash rate will be different, and if we could comparing the both are the new will having more hashrate because that's a new tools with improved hardware.just like this if we are using the second hand mining rig with lower electricity or power, and for each can producing 20H/s and if you're wanna for using the another new one with high electricity with 40H/s totally the two old are better than new one because more cheap on their electricity, but you need for taking a more time for choosing the best one for buying from the second hand especially about the endurance of the mining rig. and especially about asic is can't for mining all of the alt coin. like ETH will never be recomending for using ASIC but GPU are more preferable.
just_Alice

Activity: 1274
Merit: 622

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 06:32:59 PM

Apart from the bigger electricity consumption used miners are also tend to break down sooner than you were expecting. So it's much better to buy the new ones, but of corse they are not cheap, that's true.

But if you by any chance have the opportunity to use free electricity and you can find a cheap used miner in a good shape I think you can try your luck with it.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 08:25:54 PM

Apart from the bigger electricity consumption used miners are also tend to break down sooner than you were expecting. So it's much better to buy the new ones, but of corse they are not cheap, that's true.

But if you by any chance have the opportunity to use free electricity and you can find a cheap used miner in a good shape I think you can try your luck with it.
Still not entirely true. I have had S7s break down on me, new, with warranty. I also have S3s and S5s running without a hitch for 2+ years. It depends on the miner manufacturer and other things, as well as electrical price. Other than that, used miners can work fine, as long as it's not completely broken or dead. Always be sure to clean miners after buying to get rid of dust, and pay attention to their efficiency.
Brob12321

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 11:17:51 PM

Used miners will work fine; I used to have an S3 back about a year ago, sadly with the halving, increased difficulty and the energy prices in my area it is not profitable at all at this point, so unless you have free electric from lets say your parents paying for it, or if you rent and your landlord pays utilities or you dorm somewhere or your in a hotel or if you have solar or wind power in your backyard then it can be a little profitable
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 11:52:48 PM

Used miners will work fine; I used to have an S3 back about a year ago, sadly with the halving, increased difficulty and the energy prices in my area it is not profitable at all at this point, so unless you have free electric from lets say your parents paying for it, or if you rent and your landlord pays utilities or you dorm somewhere or your in a hotel or if you have solar or wind power in your backyard then it can be a little profitable
Solar and wind really isn't worth the investment either; most of the time, repair and damage to the generator from weather will cost you a lot more than just using electricity. You can look around, lots of people on this forum have looked at alternative energy, but it really doesn't work on a small scale.
Tyrantt (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 04:08:52 PM

Solar and wind really isn't worth the investment either; most of the time, repair and damage to the generator from weather will cost you a lot more than just using electricity. You can look around, lots of people on this forum have looked at alternative energy, but it really doesn't work on a small scale.

Yeap, i was thinking of investing into solar panels but after some comparing with prices and possible earnings, i wouldnt see profit for a litle longer time here.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: