Bitcoin Forum
August 14, 2024, 10:10:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I reverse a transaction before it is confirmed?  (Read 1284 times)
Rockford99 (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:27:47 AM

I transferred bitcoins to my other computer and am scared I will lose them.  I'm using my wireless card on my other computer.  I have the key string saved to a word file.

Will this transaction "time out" if it hasn't transferred after a while?
CaseyHeinzism

Activity: 24

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 04:46:05 AM

I have no idea about that... but I guess you could try a wallet on this site for saving or backing up purposes... https://www.mybitcoin.com/
dazoe

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:57:08 AM

The important part is not loosing your wallet.dat file. It contains all you private keys for the public/private key transaction. As long as you have the private key to the public key to which the bitcoin was sent you will have them eventually. The receiving party doesn't have to have the bitcoin client running at the moment of the transaction. Because when you start the client it will is a sense "Catch up" on previous transactions.  Hope this answers your question.
Apate

Activity: 17

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:58:38 AM

Provided both computers are connected to the internet reliably, there should be no issues with the transaction, especially since both partie can be trusted (since they're you!) However, if you're worried about your bitcoins I would strongly recommend keeping your wallet.dat file safe by encrypting it wherever feasible and ensuring the computer it's stored is as secure as possible. I personally use Truecrypt whole-disk encryption, but, as they say, other products are on the market. Don't forget to back it up somewhere too - if your hard drive fails you could lose your coins forever!
tvar

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:04:20 AM

A few seconds after you do the transfer I believe you should see the amount show up in your other client, with 0 confirmations.  If you don't you might want to double check the address.  Not that it would help, transactions are irreversable...
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:09:19 AM

Please keep issues in one thread:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16685.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: