Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:17:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: April 3 BFL ASIC update.  (Read 23609 times)
Frankie Delaney (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:03:38 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 06:16:03 AM by Frankie Delaney

Quote from: BFL_Josh
We are all waiting anxiously to see what wafer 3 holds.. but it may be that all 6 wafers suffer and we'll need ot dig into 7+ but that won't stop us from shipping.
Wafer 1 was burned but power draw was only 1.76w/GH
Just a quick update, we've managed to get the power down to less than 150w just on firmware updates alone and there's still a big area we are tweaking that will likely increase the hashrate a bit.. if it works out like we are thinking it might, we'd be at ~34 GH/s at less than 150w merely on software tweaks. Once the hardware tweaks in the labs, taht will come down even further.

Wafer 1 was ONLY, 1.76w/GH. ONLY. That still means the jalapeno doesn't exist, and the minirig uses 2640 watts. They knew this a month ago, and said the problem wasn't with the chips, it was with the test rig, then the problem wasn't with the chips, it was with the boards. Everything he said today counters The update from a month ago(yeah, it really has been a month).

4 March 2013 Update

Today the bumped wafers were confirmed at the packaging facility and they have been "bumped nicely," so all is well as far as bumping goes. Packaging is currently scheduled to be done on Wednesday, although that's subject to change, I don't see any reason that is going to change at the moment.

The chips achieved 350 MHz hashing on 4 engines as well. We are going to have to wait until the chips are packaged to take the chips higher than that with more cores, as the test rig is not able to supply enough power and there are some wire bond issues that make it unstable beyond that. Once the chips are packaged, they will be tested more fully. Regardless, the chips are hashing properly and all IO appears to be correct, which is the important part. I will update when further testing is complete.

Timeline for the second set of 6 wafers is currently scheduled several days out after we have a successful test of the packaging (they'll have to make their way through bumping and packaging as well) and then the remainder is scheduled for ~7 days after that. I can't be more specific with regards to a date on the 6 wafers yet, as I don't have specific dates. I will update once I do.

1. A month ago he said they processed 5 wafers, now he says they're waiting for the third wafer
2. So the test wafer ran at 1.76w/GH only running 4 engines, and only running at 350mhz. How could they not expect higher power usage when running more than 4 engines, and running at 500mhz.
3. again, saying the second set of 6 wafers, when they only processed 1 wafer out of the first set of 6?

1/4 of the chip at 70% clockrate used 1.76w/GH.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
opentoe
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

Personal text my ass....

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 07:34:22 AM

MODS, may as well just throw this post in "BFL FUCKS US OVER AGAIN".

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.0

Need help with your Newznab usenet indexer? http://www.newznabforums.com
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:46:50 AM

... if it works out like we are thinking it might, we'd be at ~34 GH/s at less than 150w ...

LOL. That's a meager 0.2 GHash per Watt. Remember, Josh "Loudmouth" Zerlan, when you mocked Avalon because of their high power usage? Now it turns out your ASICS are not better.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:12:15 AM

I wanted to bet at announcement day that 300MH/s will be max what they can achieve.... They laughed, now I'm laughing Wink

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:13:43 AM

omg this whole charade from BFL is so funny....

BFL's value as a company is the entertainment they produce. They may as well be a sitcom, broadway musical, or full fledged movie production in the comedy genre.

OMFG ROFL!  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Logik

Activity: 315
Merit: 255

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:19:55 AM

But I thought BFL was shipping?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
   ████████████████████████████████   
     ▀██████████████████████████▀     
        ▀████████████████████▀       
          ████████████████▀         
            █████████████           
            ▀████████████▀           
             ▀██████████▀             
              ██████████             
               ████████               
               ▀██████▀               
                ██████               

trade.io.
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████

▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
██████
██████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
██████
██████
.Join the Trading Revolution.
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:25:57 AM

I believe the phrase is a day late and a dollar short.  BFL is 150 days late and many watts short of their promised targets when customers were preordering items.

It always seemed strange to me that even before the ASICs were manufactured, BFL was busy creating plastic cases and shipping boxes.  Now all that is useless and wasted money since the Jalapeno is not going to look like the promised product.
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 08:32:02 AM

Wafer 1 was ONLY, 1.76w/GH. ONLY. That still means the jalapeno doesn't exist, and the minirig uses 2640 watts. They knew this a month ago, and said the problem wasn't with the chips, it was with the test rig, then the problem wasn't with the chips, it was with the boards. Everything he said today counters The update from a month ago(yeah, it really has been a month).

1. A month ago he said they processed 5 wafers, now he says they're waiting for the third wafer
2. So the test wafer ran at 1.76w/GH only running 4 engines, and only running at 350mhz. How could they not expect higher power usage when running more than 4 engines, and running at 500mhz.
3. again, saying the second set of 6 wafers, when they only processed 1 wafer out of the first set of 6?

1/4 of the chip at 70% clockrate used 1.76w/GH.

Looks like BFL is having too many assumptions and not enough facts.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:33:58 AM

I believe the phrase is a day late and a dollar short.  BFL is 150 days late and many watts short of their promised targets when customers were preordering items.

It always seemed strange to me that even before the ASICs were manufactured, BFL was busy creating plastic cases and shipping boxes.  Now all that is useless and wasted money since the Jalapeno is not going to look like the promised product.

+1 carriage before horse?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

luffy

Activity: 607

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:48:58 AM

BFL had a previousy bad record about delivery of FPGAs.
Did you really believed that with  ASICs (much harder ASICs) would be any better?
i am still hoping that they deliver oneday Smiley
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:10:17 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 12:26:54 PM by Gator-hex

Wafer 1 was ONLY, 1.76w/GH. ONLY. That still means the jalapeno doesn't exist, and the minirig uses 2640 watts.

You're way out..

The Little Single prototype was 160w/25GH/s = 6.4w/GH. So a 1500GH/s Mini Rig SC would need 60x LS units = 9600 watts!  Wink

It looks like it will be about 2x as power efficient as the Avalon (assuming it was real and not just a FPGA Mini Rig doing the mining).

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:30:56 PM

omg this whole charade from BFL is so funny....

BFL's value as a company is the entertainment they produce. They may as well be a sitcom, broadway musical, or full fledged movie production in the comedy genre.

OMFG ROFL!  Cheesy

I'm on my way to the trademark office to register "ComedyCoin".
aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:34:09 PM

Did you really believed that with  ASICs (much harder ASICs) would be any better?
i am still hoping that they deliver oneday Smiley

Worst of all is that they are making exactly the same mistakes with FPGAs.
If you have overheating problems, admit your mistake, redesigns the pcb with one or two asics, changes a functional box with oversized heatsinksink, do not ridicule.

Cheesy
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 12:35:32 PM

Did you really believed that with  ASICs (much harder ASICs) would be any better?

Clearly BFL did.

"Honest Abe".

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:03:23 PM

BFL's plan B

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 03:30:37 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 03:42:47 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

I believe the phrase is a day late and a dollar short.  BFL is 150 days late and many watts short of their promised targets when customers were preordering items.

It always seemed strange to me that even before the ASICs were manufactured, BFL was busy creating plastic cases and shipping boxes.  Now all that is useless and wasted money since the Jalapeno is not going to look like the promised product.

+1 carriage before horse?

Best caption wins! EDIT: I found a caption.

Sorry, but to say the product is miles away from what it was claimed is patently ridiculous.  Even at the power draw and hashrate I saw, which is IMHO a worst case scenario, the product is somewhat off.  It's not "miles away" by any stretch of the imagination.  20w vs 80w.  Yes, a factor of 4.  So is 1w vs 4w, but that doesn't mean it's a huge amount in absolute terms.  Whether it's 20w or 80w, it's still better by a factor of 6 (being generous here, it's more like a factor of 7 or Cool to any GPU solution and at LEAST 3x possibly 4x better than any other FPGA solution... So trying to couch it in terms of "factors" on how off the power estimates were is disingenous.  Put it in terms of absolute values.  It's 80w (and likely the shipping version will be more efficient), compared to 20w.  I'll take the 60w increase in place of my power hungry GPUs screaming in my basement, thanks.  And personally, I'm not going to quibble over 170 - 200 MH/s as a worst case scenario, and likely less than that as well.  Would I like a 1.05 GH/s at 20w?  Hell yes, but the reality and the initial target are anything but "miles away" from each other. 

Fuck seriously.  I am trying to stay out of this, but the rampant hate and complete bullshit some of you are spewing are borderline pathological and far, far over the border of logical or reasonable.  I see mistakes and misunderstandings, but I see little if any outright dishonestly.  But I'll tell you what I do see, is a whole bucketload of a complete lack of understanding or experience in design, business operations, marketing and development.  Anyone who's actually done those things understands exactly what's happened so far and why... anyone who hasn't really shouldn't be speaking.
needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:11:44 PM

New speed and pricing  Huh

NO PSAKING!
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:15:33 PM

New speed and pricing  Huh

I thought that image was 'shopped. But no, that image is for real!

Oh, look, they won't specify power usage anymore. WTG BFL.

Buy & Hold
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:21:05 PM

What the flying...

That is actually for real.

https://products.butterflylabs.com/
nagnagnag2

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:25:54 PM

https://products.butterflylabs.com/homepage/25-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html

Pre-order Terms: Bitforce SC (ASIC) products are in final stage development with initial shipping scheduled for the last half of April 2013. Products are shipped according to placement in the order queue, and delivery may take 2 months or more after order. All sales are final.

As usual; Still bullshit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: