Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:59:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server PSU for GPU power  (Read 1177 times)
Spufa (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 09:31:23 PM

I see a lot of server PSUs on sale for real cheap. I don't see the point in buying high end PSU anymore. All server PSU are by default 92+ efficiency and are made for 24/7 use. I found real cheap one, 800W for 20$. After a bit of modificationsi made it so it can power my GPUs.
What did I do ?
Soldered 2 pins so it stars right away when it's plugged in (there is no need for any button or anything...)
Soldered 2 wired (+ and - ) on the board and wired them outside so i can connect multiple 6-pin connectors.
How to get a lot of 6 pin connectors ? You can use 24 pin motherboard connectors from old PSUs, just cut them in peaces and connect them properly.

How all this look:
https://i.imgur.com/NvfugWx.jpg

Hope someone else will do this and save a bit of money instead of buying high end PSU !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Zorg33

Activity: 144
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 11:14:28 PM

I see a lot of server PSUs on sale for real cheap. I don't see the point in buying high end PSU anymore. All server PSU are by default 92+ efficiency and are made for 24/7 use. I found real cheap one, 800W for 20$. After a bit of modificationsi made it so it can power my GPUs.
What did I do ?
Soldered 2 pins so it stars right away when it's plugged in (there is no need for any button or anything...)
Soldered 2 wired (+ and - ) on the board and wired them outside so i can connect multiple 6-pin connectors.
How to get a lot of 6 pin connectors ? You can use 24 pin motherboard connectors from old PSUs, just cut them in peaces and connect them properly.

How all this look:

Hope someone else will do this and save a bit of money instead of buying high end PSU !

Yes, I've been doing this for many years.

You have to observe some basic rules tho. Remember to always do the math first.
Calculate loads and wire gauges carefully.

I wouldn't do that 5-way splitting, because all the current flows through that thin wire pair that is connected to the PSU 12V and GND.
You should connect them all parallel directly to the PSU, or use thicker wires to split from. Check the temps of the main wire pair with your finger while applying load to the 6 pins. I am sure its going to get hot above 300W. If the wire is so hot that it hurts then it's too thin for that load.

Always check your setup by the junction law: SUM(I in) = SUM(I out)

Also there are high current type series terminals (I mean that white connector row). The cheaper ones can only handle 5-10Amps (120W@12V)!

Good tinkering!:)

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 12:03:05 AM

Certainly there's money to be saved with DIY power supplies but considering how well PSUs hold their value and how easy it is to use them and how guaranteed their reliability is, I just prefer buying premium PSUs instead of modding server grade PSUs.

Not your keys, not your coins!
Spufa (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 12:56:45 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2016, 01:30:00 PM by Spufa

What did I do ?

How all this look:
https://i.imgur.com/NvfugWx.jpg

Yes, I've been doing this for many years.

You have to observe some basic rules tho. Remember to always do the math first.
Calculate loads and wire gauges carefully.

I wouldn't do that 5-way splitting, because all the current flows through that thin wire pair that is connected to the PSU 12V and GND.
You should connect them all parallel directly to the PSU, or use thicker wires to split from. Check the temps of the main wire pair with your finger while applying load to the 6 pins. I am sure its going to get hot above 300W. If the wire is so hot that it hurts then it's too thin for that load.

Always check your setup by the junction law: SUM(I in) = SUM(I out)

Also there are high current type series terminals (I mean that white connector row). The cheaper ones can only handle 5-10Amps (120W@12V)!

Good tinkering!:)

Thanks for feedback ! But all that is already taken into consideration when this was made. All wires are high quality copper wires made for big speakers and to prevent heating all connections are soldered (on bord and between 2 cables) with more than normal amount of tin. Also tested 24 hours under 690W load and two wires were just a bit warm, far from hot.
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 07:17:37 PM

I use server PSU's for all my GPU builds - I just use breakout boards like this one:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1667131.0

And then use a PicoPSU on the motherboard powered by 12v from the breakout - works like a champ, and may cost a bit more than doing everything yourself, but is much faster/flexible, and gives you about the cheapest 2000w platinum rated PSU around.  Plus just buy the cables from Sidehack and you've got a top-quality rig!
PanneKopp

Activity: 391
Merit: 250

aka ...

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 10:47:35 PM

Hi Folks,

I do not recommend 2 use "Lüsterklemmen" (don´t know the english word)
4 excessive "Mining-Use",
better soldier it directly ~~.

Cheesy PanneKopp (just my 2 cents)

... please make an educated guess !
Spufa (OP)

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 08:29:13 PM

Hi Folks,

I do not recommend 2 use "Lüsterklemmen" (don´t know the english word)
4 excessive "Mining-Use",
better soldier it directly ~~.

Cheesy PanneKopp (just my 2 cents)

Hmm by that you mean the connectors ? (things where you attach other things ? xd )
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 09:47:36 PM

I use server PSU's for all my GPU builds - I just use breakout boards like this one:

And then use a PicoPSU on the motherboard powered by 12v from the breakout - works like a champ, and may cost a bit more than doing everything yourself, but is much faster/flexible, and gives you about the cheapest 2000w platinum rated PSU around.  Plus just buy the cables from Sidehack and you've got a top-quality rig!

I have now done this too with my last build and plan to do more builds using a server PSU. Thanks MarkAz for pointing me in this direction earlier, and to Sidehack for selling the ready to go kit!

I will say the total cost is about 20% less that a consumer PSU, but here is what got me to switch over.

• I was already running 240V and Server PSUs are pretty much designed for this anyway, even if they will run at 110V with reduced wattage output.
  • I am running these rigs in my garage so noise will not be an issue. Yes noise is a concern with server PSUs as the tiny fans need to run super fast to cool the unit.
  • The cabling and gauge of wire is superior for powering the risers and graphics cards. No more worrying about overloading Molex connectors as each GPU has its own dedicated run (up to 6 GPUs).
  • Probably the biggest reason is if the PSU itself dies, I can replace it for $30 as the breakout board and cabling will most likely be in usable condition.

Yes I do realize consumer PSUs come with up to a 10 year warranty, but I liked the idea of having some cheap ready spares on-hand and not worrying about shipping and the whole RMA process. Also as someone else mentioned, server PSUs were designed for 24/7 use and have high efficiency already due to their intended purpose.
jadefalke
Legendary

Activity: 1457
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 06:27:40 AM

What do you mean with Pico PSU, can you show a Picture?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: