Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:44:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I dont get why Mining bitcoins makes BTC's?  (Read 738 times)
box0214 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:19:24 AM

hi im still new and need a few questions cleared up as to how BTC's are generated. I mean I keep reading about mining bitcoins, but in my head it just seems like leaving the computer on for SETI and looking for alien life. That I can understand, but bitcoins I dont understand why these codes have to be generated to then be used. Why can we just generate them with a click of a button?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
c0rbin9

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:20:47 AM

Scarcity.
swusc2

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:30:10 AM

Every time some solves a Block it's 50 coins to the group of the individual that solves it. Solving a block confirms transactions. So in a way its how Bitcoin prints and distributes money.

It solving an algorithm. You don't get a block if it can't be confirmed. I doubt anyone has close to enough power to break SHA-256 encryption and "make their own bitcoins". If they did there would be a lot more issues then counterfeiting of bitcoins.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
Stardust

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:38:26 AM

Do you have a better idea on how to distribute the coins and prevent sabotage or monopoly?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: