Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:22:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What s the benefit that having Back Plate ?  (Read 1133 times)
igotek (OP)

Activity: 2058
Merit: 608

Online Security & Investment Corporation

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2016, 01:26:12 PM

What is the benefit the graphic cards which have back plate ?
What will be happen if the back plate doesnt exist on a graphic card ?
What is the Nitro for ?

I cannot live, I cannot die, trapped in myself.
Hold my breath as I wish for death. Oh please god, help me !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bit815792215

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 01:30:00 PM

Backplate is for containing an event of card failure, i.e. keeping pieces of the card contained and the electrical fire hazard.

Kasmetski

Activity: 50
Merit: 3

Searchin` perfection!

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 01:35:36 PM

Backplate also helps to reduce the heat of the GPU.

Makefinity - Unleash Your Creativity
Liquid71

Activity: 835
Merit: 1000

There is NO Freedom without Privacy

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 05:05:32 AM

Backplate is for containing an event of card failure, i.e. keeping pieces of the card contained and the electrical fire hazard.
Huh Huh Huh

deadsix

Activity: 751
Merit: 517

Fail to plan, and you plan to fail.

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 05:11:07 AM

Huh Huh Huh

Yeah I LoL'ed at that explanation too.

Ethereum/Zcash/Monero Mining Bangalore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1703592
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 05:19:38 AM

I took mine off the cards ran cooler so no idea really how to answer why some say it run better with it, mine run better with out it .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
rawbert

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 05:25:46 AM

I think it's just marketing.. coolness factor.

arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 06:42:47 AM

I took mine off the cards ran cooler so no idea really how to answer why some say it run better with it, mine run better with out it .

looking at my msi r9 390, the metal that serves as ram heat sink is screwed to the back plate to better dissipate heat from the rams, maybe some cards have it for looks, and some have it for heat dissipation.
Tmdz

Activity: 1008

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 06:48:19 AM

99% it is just for looks, and gives some added protection.

1% is for reducing heat but I watched a video and it had little to no effect in reducing vram temps

I really like back plates though, they look awesome and reduces some fear when handing the card.
bit815792215

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 06:49:50 AM
Last edit: November 05, 2016, 07:29:17 AM by bit815792215

Huh Huh Huh

Not sure why lol.. If you have ever seen a capacitor on an older gen card break from lv or hv then you would know. Breaks right through the back of the pcb, burns completely through it, and shits electrical fire out of the back consistently. Does  that make sense? Do you want that shit all over your motherboard, inside express slots?

its 100% for this reason exactly

arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 07:07:27 AM

1% is for reducing heat but I watched a video and it had little to no effect in reducing vram temps

I really like back plates though, they look awesome and reduces some fear when handing the card.

well, what if you blow air at the back plate? the vram heat sinks are connected to the back plate thru metal screws, i'm guessing in the video the air is still at the back plate.

for us miners with multiple gpus, i believe back plates protects from shorting accidents that might happen in tinkering around rigs. specially for those who are lazy to turn off their rigs while troubleshooting.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 07:09:26 AM

They help a little with heat dissipation on systems with only one GPU in the system, or where the GPUs are WIDELY spaced apart.

They're a MINUS in a system that's crowded as they reduce airflow.

They offer some physical protection to the card and make it less likely you will damage the card via ESD while you are handling the card.

Caps shorting out can be VERY dangerous.
 Had one go the length of a LONG room (40 feet or a bit more) and imbed the wire in a concrete block wall once when I was a power supply test tech - pure LUCK it didn't hit anyone on the way, it could easily have put someone in a hospital if it had hit them in the wrong place.
 That cap was somewhat larger than anything on a current GPU card (600v 10uf or some such as I recall, 2 inches long almost + axial leads and almost half inch diameter) but the principle is the same....

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
arielbit
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 07:36:45 AM

i have this two rx 480 with backplate connected directly at the motherboard, the one above the other is hotter of course, pointing a 90mm fan at the backplate reduced the temp by 2c of the one above...and i didn't watch the temp any longer, so i don't know the end result and didn't do longer observation.
igotek (OP)

Activity: 2058
Merit: 608

Online Security & Investment Corporation

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2016, 09:39:11 AM

When i m mining, the back plate is so hot. I think there is advantage for cooling.
if we think that the graphic card works 7/24, the back plate is usefull. it feels trustable that it is a good product. Maybe because of the appereance.
But is it valuable to pay extra money for it ?

I cannot live, I cannot die, trapped in myself.
Hold my breath as I wish for death. Oh please god, help me !
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 01:32:44 PM

looking at my msi r9 390, the metal that serves as ram heat sink is screwed to the back plate to better dissipate heat from the rams, maybe some cards have it for looks, and some have it for heat dissipation.

my 390 backplates get pretty hot, so it definitely helps cooling if they get a breeze. it also help with card sag with those crazy long cards.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 02:28:17 PM

To prevent PCB bend is the #1 reason for them

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
DragonSlayer

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 05:33:29 PM

To prevent PCB bend is the #1 reason for them

This is it.

uray

Activity: 1400
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 06:00:12 PM

Huh Huh Huh

Not sure why lol.. If you have ever seen a capacitor on an older gen card break from lv or hv then you would know. Breaks right through the back of the pcb, burns completely through it, and shits electrical fire out of the back consistently. Does  that make sense? Do you want that shit all over your motherboard, inside express slots?

LOL... to contain shit after explode....

there are 4 functions of backplate
1. marketing & branding just to make it look cool
2. heat dissipation because backplate are screwed to main heatsink or has thermal pad connected to back side of VRM
3. a. protection from ESD (when you touch it, pull and push it to mobo)
    b. protection from getting back side of PCB scratched by other objects (cables, connector, screw driver, etc...)
    c. protection from short circuit from back side of pcb to another object such as connector cables or another card when the card leaning to the side
    d. to make card more sturdy and harder to bend
4. balance the weight of the card, most GPU are two slot width, if card are connected into pcie slot without screwed into case bracket, the weight of heatsink will pull the card to one side and can potentially break or bend the pcb and its connector slot
bit815792215

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 07:27:55 PM

Huh Huh Huh

LOL... to contain shit after explode....

there are 4 functions of backplate
1. marketing & branding just to make it look cool
2. heat dissipation because backplate are screwed to main heatsink or has thermal pad connected to back side of VRM
3. a. protection from ESD (when you touch it, pull and push it to mobo)
    b. protection from getting back side of PCB scratched by other objects (cables, connector, screw driver, etc...)
    c. protection from short circuit from back side of pcb to another object such as connector cables or another card when the card leaning to the side
    d. to make card more sturdy and harder to bend
4. balance the weight of the card, most GPU are two slot width, if card are connected into pcie slot without screwed into case bracket, the weight of heatsink will pull the card to one side and can potentially break or bend the pcb and its connector slot

You forgot easier to slide in and out of AS bag while keeping the bag in good condition

toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 07:48:48 PM
Last edit: November 05, 2016, 08:13:58 PM by toptek

I have three RX 470 one of the RX 470 has one the other doesn't, the one with a case type back plate gets hotter then the one with out one i even checked the Vram on both with wattool no back plate one is cooler and the third RX 470 with no back plate  runs all most as hot as the one with one . why i  said I don't know or gonna try to explain why . by no back plate one has one but it has holes were it can short out and even be dmg by ESD  it's runs the coolest of the three . the third  one i can touch everything on back has no protection at all but is also is the lightest of the three it is very lite and the one in the case type back plate runs the hottest has no open holes on the back and is heavy. My R9 280 ran hotter with it before i watered cooled it i took it off , could have left it on but it seems to run cooler with no back plate .

watered cooled with a small fan from the kit blowing on the vram. Vram is even cooler .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: