Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:06:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: did i make a mistake with BFL's  (Read 2596 times)
chowdan (OP)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 02:58:45 PM

I bought a BFL's Jalapeno but was that a mistake?

Are they scammers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:02:20 PM

Did you get in debt with ordering? ...

Scam or not they seem shady, the rest you could know by reading Wink

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:03:01 PM

No you didn't buy one. You bought a picture of one. Try mining with a picture ....

I gave up on them as soon as I read the FAQ on their website. It was talking about delivering in July 2012 or something. Which tells me:

a) They don't know what they are doing (or if they scammers, they do)
b) They can't be arsed to even update their website.

From what I've read, they don't behave in any way like a real company. And people are expecting leading-edge technology to suddenly spew out of their facility. Dream on.
s2

Activity: 198
Merit: 123

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:50:07 PM

I too have 'invested' with BFL and want to reassure you I think they are genuine so far as I follow it nearly daily.  Yes they are incredibly behind schedule and I think part of it is intentional to get cash in early (ethically I have an issue with this but equally they're a business and I've heard of worse practices), the other part is just naive-ness of venturing into the unknown.

The reasons I think they aren't a scam:
- To come up with the detailed reasons/images/videos for the delays is probably more work than actually making the things and not having the risk of people hunting you down Smiley  I've learnt a lot (as I bet they have too) about chip manufacturing so they are very technically capable.

- They have shipped working FPGA units in the past which is the usual step in making an ASIC.

- Every project inevitably has setbacks.  BFL are just not realistic in the project planning, they budgeted a few days to 'test' the chips before shipping.  It's pretty obvious if you test something it's bound to find problems which you solve in an iterative style and just takes hardwork.  They keep telling customers 'it's nearly there' but in truth it will only be there when they've got the completed product and they just don't know how long it will take as it's not been done by them before.

- They offer refunds to people which appear to be honoured (assuming the poster's are real people which I do believe)

- They have been making progress on a reasonable rate for the tech they are making, their expectations were just waaaaaay out.

I expect they'll start shipping in May but is really just a personal guestimate based on how many issues they've solved and how close it is to shipping.

The main part is they appear to finally have the chip proven to work now and there is a video on youtube showing it which was incredibly reassuring. 
.  Yes there are power issues and inevitably that will cause another small delay but it's insignificant compared to the earlier issues.

Now the caveat, they're proposed production rate seems incredibly optimistic.  They're not budgeting on wafers being damaged in transit, difficulties in fitting/testing the devices, software installs, USB issues, faulty pcb's, etc.. from what I've heard.  I really want to be proved wrong on this as I'm actually impressed at BFL's openness and they seem convinced but I believe they'll be churning out a small fraction of units/day compare to what they say.  There must be 20,000+ orders in their queue and if they're able to produce even an incredible 100/day that's still over a year's worth just there.

I'd budget on ordering today and receiving your unit next year given the queue, if it arrives earlier excellent!  It should still be the best on the market for a long time if they work as intended.  Also when they do start shipping the order books are going to be fill up very very quickly so the gamble is getting in now with the pre-production stage or wait until everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:54:06 PM

They've been 2 weeks away from shipping since October 2012.

Bitforce SC (ASIC) products are in final stage development with initial shipping scheduled for the last half of February 2013.

Bitforce SC (ASIC) products are in final stage development with initial shipping scheduled for the last half of March 2013.

Bitforce SC (ASIC) products are in final stage development with initial shipping scheduled for the last half of April 2013.
Tongue

mjc

Activity: 588

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 03:57:59 PM

I bought 3 60 GH units, and I'm buying another one once the BTC rises enough that I can.  It is difficult to wait and not be earning BTC, but it's coming. I would not be spending money that you might need for something else, but as a risk based investment its an ok venture.  I'm certainly confident I'll get a working unit.  That's just my opinion and many have differing opinions.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
po1992one

Activity: 133

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:00:14 PM

Are they scammers?

I believe they will ship one day, so no scammers because you can request refund.
Gator-hex

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:23:55 PM

so no scammers because you can request refund.

PayPal refunds have a 45 day dispute limit.

If you pay in BTC they will refund you in $ (A.K.A. an arbitrage scam)

They have their own mining pool and mining farm. It's not like they cannot lay their hands on any BTC.  Wink

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:30:57 PM

I bought 3 60 GH units,

Interesting.

Do me a favor. Click here. -> https://products.butterflylabs.com/

If it's worth anything, I'm sorry for your loss.
anarchomedia

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:46:15 PM

I've put in an order for 2 Single SCs just recently.  My impression is that they aren't very competent or experienced when it comes to project management but it isn't a scam.  Anyway I have gained much more from the btc price rise than I am risking on these machines, if they ever materialise, so I am not that worried.  They seem to be giving refunds to those that want out.
aliaser

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:31:12 PM

I believe they will ship one day, so no scammers because you can request refund.
I don't think that you can issue a refund.

Quoting for their site:
All sales are final.

Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:18:25 PM

yes. if your pre-order is under #9000, please cancel and get a refund ASAP. If your pre-order # is over #9000, never mind.

SerTomTheTall

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:36:09 PM

So just to confirm, any notion of BFL being scammers is strictly hypothetical, and they might actually ship what people have paid for? I looked up the address for the wire transfer and it was for a construction company...but I keep seeing people who are sure of BFL's ability to deliver as well as people who aren't. I have no idea what to think :/
chowdan (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:47:44 PM

The reason i felt they weren't scammers was due to a forum post on this site:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159700.0

The guy says he has 8 of them, and is selling them as he has better ones.

The question is how did he get 8 jalapeno units?

Due to paying with PayPal, and only spending 150$, its not a serious loss, and i have 45 days from yesterday to actually attempt to get a refund which is why i went through PayPal.

Gator-hex

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:01:00 PM

The reason i felt they weren't scammers was due to a forum post on this site:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=159700.0

The guy says he has 8 of them, and is selling them as he has better ones.

The question is how did he get 8 jalapeno units?

Due to paying with PayPal, and only spending 150$, its not a serious loss, and i have 45 days from yesterday to actually attempt to get a refund which is why i went through PayPal.

He has 8x FPGA Singles, not ASIC Jalapeños

He's trying to sell his 8x Jalapeño pre-order

(could be a scam/maybe he cannot get a refund/trying to profit from his place in the queue)

ajas

Activity: 130
Merit: 58

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 09:49:42 PM

Are they scammers?

I also bought a  Jalapeno (half a year ago) and still don't know if it was a mistake.

BFL behaves very unprofessional (especially concerning the communication with their
customers). My hope is that any scammer would behave more professional (and just
disappear after lets say 3 months of collecting bitcoins).

Also the reasoning for buying a Jalapeno was not the intention to become rich,
but just to contribute to bitcoin and stabilize it by decentralised mining. So I
hope that I can replace my 200MHs FPGA (which just payed off after 1 year of
mining) in a couple of months with something else.

lets believe in bitcoin
chowdan (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:28:35 PM

I completely agree, i didn't purchase a jalapeno to become rich but because I wanted to decrease my power consumption from my current setup (single HD 6870 yields a 267Mh/s).

I don’t profit from it when it runs, but my main reason is I believe in the bitcoin and feel this currency needs to survive and not fall. With a world relying more and more on the internet and being connected, I feel that bitcoins will become more of a recognized standard throughout time.

So the main reason for this purchase was to help a community I believed in, decrease my own cost of power consumption, and experiment.

This was mainly an experiment to see how the units work. I work in the IT industry and often like to see new hardware designs and learn about them, as you never know if you can figure out a use for this style of processor for something other than mining).

icem3lter

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:04:31 PM

yes. if your pre-order is under #9000, please cancel and get a refund ASAP. If your pre-order # is over #9000, never mind.

Why refunding? They increased the prices so if you ordered with the smaller prices you should be happy. I mean it is like refunding Avalon 2 order...

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:08:56 PM

Note how many low postcounter guys are here Wink

ImI
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:36:18 PM

Are they scammers?

I ordered one too.

The day you get your Jalapeno you wont make any money with it anymore. Maybe a little better than BE.

But hey maybe it worth a try.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: