Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 02:35:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are these peers with triple connections valid?  (Read 580 times)
Soros Shorts (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 11:49:41 PM

Every now and then these peers connect to my node with 3 connections each. They don't take up much bandwidth but they hold the connections open for a long time.

They claim to be SPV clients. Are they valid peers and why do they need 3 connections?

Is there an easy way to ban multiple connections from the same IP, without say, doing something drastic like blacklisting AWS IP addresses.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2016, 11:56:28 PM

Those are spam nodes. You should just ban them.

Is there an easy way to ban multiple connections from the same IP, without say, doing something drastic like blacklisting AWS IP addresses.
Not really.

Soros Shorts (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 12:34:09 AM

Not really.

Ok, thanks.

I think there might be a way to limit the number of incoming connections per IP using a reverse proxy such as HAProxy. It doesn't ban them but at least it limits the damage by blocking the extra connections. The problem for me is that HAProxy only runs on Linux and my nodes are currently Windows boxes.
ScripterRon

Activity: 136
Merit: 120

View Profile
November 05, 2016, 03:49:12 PM

Not really.

Ok, thanks.

I think there might be a way to limit the number of incoming connections per IP using a reverse proxy such as HAProxy. It doesn't ban them but at least it limits the damage by blocking the extra connections. The problem for me is that HAProxy only runs on Linux and my nodes are currently Windows boxes.
I use firewall rules to limit concurrent connections.  But this is on Ubuntu, so it won't help you with Windows.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: