Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 03:15:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Bitcoin in the UK (how?)  (Read 7392 times)
Pacificus (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:12:25 PM

I am having a horrible time trying to buy BTC in the UK. Please tell me how? I only have one, bought from Blockchain using a bank transfer but they stopped allowing UK customers to pay this way a week or two ago. They offer Sofort, but not to UK customers.

So I tried mtgox, who accepts UK£ payments from OKPAY. But how the hell do I get money into OKPAY? I sent them a message asking how and am awaiting any reply. OKPAY offer a list of places to pay into an account from, but they do not link to any and do not specify ones suited to UK customers. A few Google searches proved fruitless (searching the OKPAY suggestions), and if I were to search all in the list I would die of stress, I'm sure.

Please tell me how to buy BTC over the web (bank transfers, credit cards, debit cards) from the UK? I would be willing to use a US$ site but only if there is a way to easily pay using £UK, even if it is via a third party. I have a feeling I'll end-up using third parties to pay third parties. This situation is ridiculous and it shouldn’t be so difficult, awkward or stressful just to buy BTC! In fact, it makes me very suspicious.

Thanks for any help.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:14:33 PM

SEPA bank transfer to bitstamp.net - £9 - done and in your account in a day. Feel free to PM me if you want any details.
NABiT

Activity: 334
Merit: 259

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:23:45 PM

I recommend you use Transferwise for SEPA - C/0 the calculator on their home page, I bet it beats your rip off bank rate for both exchange to EUR and for charges - usually £1 - http://transferwise.com/u/054b
Pacificus (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:33:58 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I will look at the sites mentioned.

Since starting the thread, I found this site, which re-opens in a couple of days:

http://www.bitcoinfridge.co.uk/
Pacificus (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:19:44 PM

I recommend you use Transferwise for SEPA - C/0 the calculator on their home page, I bet it beats your rip off bank rate for both exchange to EUR and for charges - usually £1 - http://transferwise.com/u/054b

I can't actually find on Transferwise where or how to make a SEPA payment. Are you able to provide a direct link, please? I just tried their helpline, but they are closed for the day.
NABiT

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:32:51 PM

When you have signed up and logged in you will see Create Payment

Click on that and fill in the bank details of the recipient i.e. the bank details of your chosen bitcoin exchange (IBAN number/BIC code) making sure you add the reference they provide.

You will then be asked to provide your own bank details or pay by debit card to fund the payment

That's it.

You will receive confirmation emails at each stage, waiting for your deposit, deposit received, payment sent.
Pacificus (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:50:02 PM

When you have signed up and logged in you will see Create Payment

Click on that and fill in the bank details of the recipient i.e. the bank details of your chosen bitcoin exchange (IBAN number/BIC code) making sure you add the reference they provide.

You will then be asked to provide your own bank details or pay by debit card to fund the payment

That's it.

You will receive confirmation emails at each stage, waiting for your deposit, deposit received, payment sent.

Many thanks. I appreciate your clarification. Actually, I noticed that when I was looking at the site before posting my reply I had it set to £-USD conversion, which asked for different bank codes. That and the fact clear instructions specifying SEPA were not to be found also confused me.

I guess now I need to calculate the BTC cost in GBP to USD to Euros and make a transfer. It apparently takes a few days to clear; do you know if Bitstamp will sell me BTC at the price it is at when I initiate the transfer (current price), or the price - whatever that will be - after the funds have cleared?
NABiT

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:59:39 PM

You will not be able to trade at Bitstamp until the funds have been processed, they will send you an email informing your funds are ready to use.

So far I have had payment go through and be available to buy BTC same day and the longest it took was next day but I guess there is no guarantee of that.
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 02:11:34 AM

Made this guide: www.bitcoinUK.blogspot.com

So far the cheapest way that I found to buy btc from UK..

Hope it helps.
jlchcc

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 06:36:59 PM

If you still wanna buy Bitcoins in the UK, directly without intermediators on ebay or other middle men (with huge fees) is difficult, I made this guide with an easy process:
 Grin Grin Grin
http://howtogetbitcoinsuk.blogspot.co.uk
michaelGedi

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

"to be or not to be, that is the bitcoin"

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 07:00:38 PM

I agree with the TransferWise plan - use it with one of the exchanges... it's pretty straightforward and will save you a fair bit of money on charges and exchange rates. SEPA is just the name of the style of transfer... quick and easy you don't have to select "SEPA" in transferwise options.

If you choose priority payment it always arrives the same day for a small fee, and still a lot cheaper than UKASH or using blockchain.info (they charge something like 6%) or other transfer methods with hefty bank fees...

I use Bitstamp and it always lands quickly and safely, but it works with other exchanges as well. Then you can just move your coins to your wallet and voila  Smiley

Link here:

http://bitcointransfer.blogspot.co.uk/

best wishes and make sure you secure your wallet. I found Electrum to be easy to use and feels pretty safe once I got used to how it works   Wink

TRADE FOREX, STOCKS AND COMMODITIES without the paperwork with Bitcoin: https://1broker.com/m/r.php?i=3589

1BROKER has been around since 2012 and is going strong
chickun.arise

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 02:29:24 PM

Bitstamp is quite the answer for middle-Europe since its headquarters are located in Slovenia. Their transactions are fast and they never dissapoint. Smiley
Miner_Willy

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 11:08:25 AM

TransferWise won't process to bitcoin exchanges anymore, as per their blog here:http://transferwise.com/blog/2013-04/notice-to-bitcoin-users-april-2013

This affects people sending < £100 or so to BitStamp etc. For people > £100, direct SEPA transfers from the big banks seem to still have fairly low fees
stevenlam

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:26:39 PM

Can I use bitstamp in another country, like asian

beanhead

Activity: 44

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:31:40 PM

What about selling Bitcoin in the UK? How do I cash out?  So I can't seem to find a method that doesn't involved ludacris fees.
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 15, 2013, 06:33:29 PM

I have used https://speedybitcoin.co.uk/ when buying BTC  Smiley
bitbitcoins

Activity: 238

bitbitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
May 15, 2013, 08:26:17 PM

also try private, using escrow : http://www.bitbitcoins.com/

Emm

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 05:31:17 AM

+1 for SEPA!
Eva Braun

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:59:29 AM

I am having a horrible time trying to buy BTC in the UK. Please tell me how? I only have one, bought from Blockchain using a bank transfer but they stopped allowing UK customers to pay this way a week or two ago. They offer Sofort, but not to UK customers.

So I tried mtgox, who accepts UK£ payments from OKPAY. But how the hell do I get money into OKPAY? I sent them a message asking how and am awaiting any reply. OKPAY offer a list of places to pay into an account from, but they do not link to any and do not specify ones suited to UK customers. A few Google searches proved fruitless (searching the OKPAY suggestions), and if I were to search all in the list I would die of stress, I'm sure.

Please tell me how to buy BTC over the web (bank transfers, credit cards, debit cards) from the UK? I would be willing to use a US$ site but only if there is a way to easily pay using £UK, even if it is via a third party. I have a feeling I'll end-up using third parties to pay third parties. This situation is ridiculous and it shouldn’t be so difficult, awkward or stressful just to buy BTC! In fact, it makes me very suspicious.

Thanks for any help.

So many people ask this question, there is so many ways!!
Little P 1

Activity: 167

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 08:30:09 AM

Thanks for any help.

#you could always buy from www.crypto4me.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: