Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:04:17 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very low hash rate  (Read 530 times)
Uest3 (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:41:26 PM

Is this normal? I'm just installed CPU Miner on Ubuntu, 3.75 khash/s, at this hash rate will take forever to obrain something.
blaabjerg

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:43:37 PM

CPU mining is dead, forget about it. If you don't have at least a decent GPU there's no point in mining.
c1010010

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:45:31 PM

Well, I would not say dead... but in its last throws.  GPU mining is the way to go if you want to get any real traction.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
epilido

Activity: 34
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:51:18 PM

Well, I would not say dead... but in its last throws.  GPU mining is the way to go if you want to get any real traction.

As the difficulty rises it becomes unlikly to get a return on your investment even with GPU at this point.

The math problem has gotten more difficult so doing the math with a cpu is very slow.  So slow that the power to do the math with the cpu is more expensive than the profits from mining.

Epi
s2

Activity: 198
Merit: 123

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 03:59:59 PM

It's gone CPU->GPU->FPGA and now onto ASICs.
Be wary of investing heavily in GPU mining if you're new to this as you'll probably be finding it's not profitable next year.

It's the beauty of the mining problem, unless you have free electricity it's almost guaranteed to eventually make a loss due to the ones who do have free juice.

wowfreaks22

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:38:00 PM

should get around 50kh with a i5 or i7 sandy
c0ikws

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:40:54 PM

As the difficulty rises it becomes unlikly to get a return on your investment even with GPU at this point.

Epi

People said that to me in october as BFL was to release next month. I lol now with my two fully paid 7950 + free heating I got this winter!
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:47:13 PM

If you want to use CPU/GPU you might try LiteCoin instead, it's been designed to stop FPGA/ASICs unfair advantage.

epilido

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:19:56 PM

Epi

People said that to me in october as BFL was to release next month. I lol now with my two fully paid 7950 + free heating I got this winter!

Yep october was a concerning time.  The concern was over increases supposed to be caused by BFL now there are real asic devices in the wild and more coming.  Its is easy to plug in cost and possible hash rate to determine ROI. If the network hash rate continues to rise GPU will not be profitable.  Heck if it keeps rising my FPGA farm wont be making many coins.....

Epi
epilido

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:22:40 PM

I was not trying to stop from mining.  I welcome every distributed hash as it secures the rest of the network.  I hope that people understand the potential risk of entering the mining market right now.

Epi
anabolic weasel

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:26:22 PM

If you want to use CPU/GPU you might try LiteCoin instead, it's been designed to stop FPGA/ASICs unfair advantage.

CPU is dead for litecoins aswell (ironically since it was built for this purpose). Maybe you could try another newer currency.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: